ACN Latitudes Forums

Sad story

So ds comes home today saying he had very bad news. Of course the first thing that goes into my head is what did you do!!! But he saids no I am ok let me show you the letter. A fellow 4th grade student pasted away this weekend due to a freak accident. He was on a boys scout camping trip and lost his footing while exploring caverns and fell into a ravine. So as I am reading this I completely get goose bumps and chills and I look at my son and thank god he is right there in front of me. I think about the mother and just want to start crying. This poor mother does not get a chance to fight and help her child. He is my sons age and he is gone. That's when I realize at least I could fight and help. At times I just want to give up and curl in a ball but my son is here and he needs me and I can not give up!! Many of times I feel like this is all so hard and why can't my life be like other parents who walk around with no care in the world b/c everything is fine. No allergies, tics, OCD, add, strep and what not to worry about. But after reading this letter I thank god my children are here and I can see their smiling faces!! Life could be so much worse. Thank goodness ds is doing okay with this young child's passing. He never had him in class but did know him through mutual friends. He tells me he was very nice and kind and would never do any wrong. He is in shock. He says they would joke around during recess a couple of times. He does have questions about heaven and hopes aiden went there. I tell him he absolutely is there and tell him to say some prayers and that will make him happy. He said he did already. Sorry to pass along bad news. The thing is when you hear these tragic stories sometimes it gives you a smack in the face to wake up and keep chugging.

Mar

I'm so sorry to hear of your sons friend. What a tragedy.

This is something I needed to read. I was having a really bad day yesterday. I just kept thinking why us? Why my kids? I think about how I will make it through tomorrow, then I think of what may happen in 5/ 10 years, and it scares me.

But reading what you posted is such an eye opener.

Thanks for sharing...I, too, have had to often remind myself to keep things in perspective. Luckily, as a nurse, that is not too difficult. When I was going through some of the roughest times with my son I was teaching clinicals with RN students at a Children's Hospital. Unfortunately, (fortunately for me to gain perspective)- we would have 3 year olds that were terminal with some horrible, unfair cancer. These children, babies really, were going to die. THAT was enough to take me off the pity pot! No matter what my child or family was going through- he was not going to die from it. "It" was not a terminal illness. I could put up with all the "weirdness" in the world once I saw folks in these situations dealing with the reality that their child was going to die.

So, I know exactly what you were feeling when your son brought home the letter. Seeing others that are in a worse situation than you is always a bit humbling. As you said, "The thing is when you hear these tragic stories sometimes it gives you a smack in the face to wake up and keep chugging."

May we all just keep on chugging- parents and children alike!

Thank you for the sobering reminder of what is really important. Your son is a very caring and thoughtful young man and the world will be a better place for all of that! I have been having a pity party in Missouri, but I will stop now. We at least have the right diagnosis and one of the best doctors to guide us through the treatment.

Book on bedside table has the right title, Never Give Up. The book talks about bouncing back and keep pressing forward and that most problems are solved in God's time, not our time.

Cobbie

Thanks. I needed this. I was really upset w/my son today for some pretty bad behavior (pretty sure it was a choice, not involuntary d/t PANDAS). His behavior made me so upset as I think it may have cost me my friendship (for fair and good reasons) with one of my only good friends here in NC. I was pretty hard on him. However, no matter how badly behaved he was, I would sell my soul for him. If I ever lost him, it would be the end of my life as well. I hope that family finds their way thru this terrible tragedy.