ACN Latitudes Forums

strep in babies

I am thinking of bringing my 11 month old in for a sick visit tomorrow. She has been super clingy, refuses to nap, unless we are in the car, and my gut is just saying PANDAS, because of this and other behaviors. And well, as we all know, it just runs in families. My older two are more like PANS, no documented strep, so I am not even even sure if her culture will come back positive.

And I just read that sometimes kids with stretch can pull and tug their ears. She has been doing that and I have brought her in twice since her last infection, but no ear infection.

So, if it does come back positive, should I request Augmentin, or azithromycin? Is she too young for such strong antibiotics?

I am thinking of bringing my 11 month old in for a sick visit tomorrow. She has been super clingy, refuses to nap, unless we are in the car, and my gut is just saying PANDAS, because of this and other behaviors. And well, as we all know, it just runs in families. My older two are more like PANS, no documented strep, so I am not even even sure if her culture will come back positive.

And I just read that sometimes kids with stretch can pull and tug their ears. She has been doing that and I have brought her in twice since her last infection, but no ear infection.

So, if it does come back positive, should I request Augmentin, or azithromycin? Is she too young for such strong antibiotics?

If I had a child that age with positive Strep- I would opt for one time injection of Bicillin. Bicillin provides much better coverage for Strep. One time, knock it out and no meds to give for a week. Shot is somewhat painful but she will not remember it:) IM injection goes into muscle. Yes, they would prescribe Augmentin, Azithro, Pen VK, or Amoxil liquids in child that age depending on the outcome of testing. Just depends on provider's preference.

If I had a child that age with positive Strep- I would opt for one time injection of Bicillin. Bicillin provides much better coverage for Strep. One time, knock it out and no meds to give for a week. Shot is somewhat painful but she will not remember it:) IM injection goes into muscle. Yes, they would prescribe Augmentin, Azithro, Pen VK, or Amoxil liquids in child that age depending on the outcome of testing. Just depends on provider's preference.

Our Dr gave us Augmentin for our baby.

She did have a shot of rocephin a few weeks back when the NP thought she had a resistant ear infection. I felt awful for her :(

Her rapid was negative, still waiting on the culture.

Her separation anxiety has improved a bit today. Just not sure what, if anything PANDAS related, is going on. I just took her temp amd it was 100.0, so I just gave her some Advil.

how did you take her temp? rectal temp of 100 is pretty normal. rocephin hurts but doesnt compare to bicillin! Its thick as glue and because of that it is large gauge needle.

Poor kiddo. I feel so bad for her. I also feel bad for you, you must be super stressed.

The only other thing I can think of is that she is having a herx from the rocephin, IF she had Lyme?

have you thought about switching to formula just to see if it makes a difference?