ACN Latitudes Forums

Does Rifampin kill strep? Anyonw know?

My son has been on numerous antibiotics that fail at day 7. We saw Dr. L and she put him on Clindamycin for 3 weeks...again we saw breakthrough symptoms start at around day 9. We continued clindamycin to the end of the 3 weeks.

He is now on day 3 of rifampin. I am seeing in addition to the earlier PANDAS strep symptoms that started to come back on teh clindamycin, now I am seeing more choreiform movements, the urinary dribbling that started on the clindamycin remains, seeing facial grimace, more trigger words.

Does Rifampin kill strep.......I know she put him on it to kill any staph in the tonsils but does it also kill strep?????

If it does not, then I need to call her and find out if I can add back Augmentin to his rifampin and his zithromax 250 mg immunomodulating dose.

Thanks for your input.

Kim

Clindamycin or Rifampin, in combination with a second abx, is often used to treat acute, recurrent, and carrier strep infections. Rifampin must be used with a second abx because strep will rapidly become resistant to it when it is given as a single therapy.

My DD never took Rifampin for strep but she did for Bartonella, along with other abx.

My son has been on numerous antibiotics that fail at day 7. We saw Dr. L and she put him on Clindamycin for 3 weeks...again we saw breakthrough symptoms start at around day 9. We continued clindamycin to the end of the 3 weeks.

He is now on day 3 of rifampin. I am seeing in addition to the earlier PANDAS strep symptoms that started to come back on teh clindamycin, now I am seeing more choreiform movements, the urinary dribbling that started on the clindamycin remains, seeing facial grimace, more trigger words.

Does Rifampin kill strep.......I know she put him on it to kill any staph in the tonsils but does it also kill strep?????

If it does not, then I need to call her and find out if I can add back Augmentin to his rifampin and his zithromax 250 mg immunomodulating dose.

Thanks for your input.

Kim

Nancy,

I had read that too....that it becomes quickly resistant. I wonder how quickly.....in 2 weeks???

I did manage to find that rifampin is applicable to strep organisms as well as staph. We have been prescribed it by Dr. L for only 2 weeks and as I mentioned this was preceded by Clindamycin for 3 weeks. Then he will have tonsillectomy and begin augmentin.

All along he has been taking zithromax 250 mg for immunomodulation so I doubt this would count as second antibiotic.

Oh well, cross my fingers and pray that the rifampin works, bugs do not become resistant in 2 weeks, and that the tonsillectomy removes a large source of bcteria as well.

Kim

Nancy,

We ruled out everything but Lyme. He has the two bands..41 and 66. Saw a LLMD who works with Deb McCabe (I could get in sooner) and he ordered CD 57 which I will have drawn while he is under next week during tonsillectomy. I had to move my McCabe appt. to July 2nd now which will be after IVIG. I suppose if I have concerns about results, I can call LLMD before IVIG is done end of June.

So much to coordinate.

I saw my son do some different things today. Maybe the Rifampin is going to do something. I so so hope.

Kim

Kim, it would be better if you could rule out Lyme before doing IVIg or have a couple of months of treatment before proceeding. Some kids with Lyme herx badly with IVIg (though not all). But, if he does have Lyme or co-infections it will be difficult keeping his PANDAS in remission if there is another underlying infection, even with IVIg.

Nancy,

We ruled out everything but Lyme. He has the two bands..41 and 66. Saw a LLMD who works with Deb McCabe (I could get in sooner) and he ordered CD 57 which I will have drawn while he is under next week during tonsillectomy. I had to move my McCabe appt. to July 2nd now which will be after IVIG. I suppose if I have concerns about results, I can call LLMD before IVIG is done end of June.

So much to coordinate.

I saw my son do some different things today. Maybe the Rifampin is going to do something. I so so hope.

Kim

Kim, it would be better if you could rule out Lyme before doing IVIg or have a couple of months of treatment before proceeding. Some kids with Lyme herx badly with IVIg (though not all). But, if he does have Lyme or co-infections it will be difficult keeping his PANDAS in remission if there is another underlying infection, even with IVIg.

Nancy,

So much to coordinate.

Kim

ACtually, if you are already seeing Deb McCabe, I think it's Dr. B (LLMD) who works with her, and he's very good...that's who we use. Sounds like Deb is already treating? Personally, I'm going to respectfully disagree about having to wait for IVIG. If you and your doc think it might work, I would consider going for it. We are definitely treating for lyme, co-infections, strep...you name it. We've also done PEX and multiple IVIG's. My DS's wouldn't be 1/2 as far as they are if it hadn't been for the PEX and IVIG, as they helped with the overall immune system. PANDAS/PANS/PITAND is autoimmune, and many of these kids have to deal with that part of the problem, too. So, I would listen to what the docs are saying on this one (just my personal opinion.) I know some kids herx horribly with the IVIG, but many have gone on to improve. There's no way to know that anything we are doing is going to be THE answer, but for us, PEX and IVIG were lifesavers. But, I do agree that you need to definitely be treating the lyme and other infections, too.