ACN Latitudes Forums

Tonight on 20/20

Don't mean to hijack this thread - but saw Philamon's comment on the misophonia - I made post about misophonia on the pandas board yesterday - my son has this as on of his many pandas symptoms (most gone now - knock on wood), and I know I've read other posts where parents talk about rage set off by words or sounds.

I'm looking for others that may see this symptom in their kids with pandas. If "tourettes" or "OCD" can be your only symptom of strep or lyme ( or pandas)- maybe some of these kids with misophonia could be helped with pandas and lyme treatments.

Onset is same age as pandas...

Don't mean to hijack this thread - but saw Philamon's comment on the misophonia - I made post about misophonia on the pandas board yesterday - my son has this as on of his many pandas symptoms (most gone now - knock on wood), and I know I've read other posts where parents talk about rage set off by words or sounds.

I'm looking for others that may see this symptom in their kids with pandas. If "tourettes" or "OCD" can be your only symptom of strep or lyme ( or pandas)- maybe some of these kids with misophonia could be helped with pandas and lyme treatments.

Onset is same age as pandas...

Certainly seems possible to me.

Yes, when I was watching this I was thinking of some of the families who posted similiar experiences over the years. Couldn't remember who it was, but it was an OMG moment.

In some of our darker moments, my daughter used to growl whenever my husband spoke, especially at the dinner table. It got so bad that we all just sat very quietly at the dinner table. If my husband began to speak I would give him the look, because I would be the one who dealt with the aftermath for hours. It was so much tension. I eventually let her have dinner in another room in front of the tv, to save our sanity and work on keeping our relationship intact. With treatment it passed. I often wondered if it was oppositional behavior, ocd, or sensory related. Ironically, my hubby is the teddy bear in the family, so it was stange that it was directed towards him.

The symptoms of mesaphonia seem familiar to me through my daughters and my symptoms that I now relate to lyme. My daughters have been diagnosed with PANDAS first and now lyme, as well as my diagnosis with lyme. We all have various symptoms of mesaphonia. Especially my youngest daughter who can't bear to hear others sing unless it's her idea first and is often triggered by the sound of her sisters voice or noises she makes including finger tapping, etc.

I didn't even know it was called mesaphonia. I always attritubed it to what we were going through so yes, I believe others with these symptoms could have pandas or lyme or other pitands (pans??) issue.

Susan

For the last few weeks we have been going through this annoying super sensitivity to sound and the mimicking bleck. Our Ds13 has had a some sensitivity to sound issues, but they have been more off than on--until recently. Oh, we have added whistling to the tic/OCD/anxiety repetiore, too! It had been really quiet in "tic-land" here, until these two things started up. Earplugs---anyone?? Dawn

Its interesting that no one on the pandas board has responded, but several of Lyme parents see this behavior.

For those of you that have it - my heart goes out - its usually directed towards the person they are closest to.

I used to get growled at too...now I get sworn at (teenager). He doesn't actually say the words - he mouths them at me, but having all this anger directed at you from the person that you have given your life up to help, is very maddening, and very scary as he gets bigger and bigger..

The nice thing about that video is - it was sent to me by a friend. And because the behavior has a word, and its a condition that people have and cannot help, she understands better. Previously she has said that we give him too much control, and that he needs more "structure" and limits - and to talk to a therapist. All well meaning, but she just didn't understand. After seeing the video - she said she now gets it! She expressed sympathy for him and admired his control (compared to kids in video) and ability to work through it. Previously I think she just thought we spoiled him and bent to his will too easily.

I wish I could see the video - it's blocked b/c I'm not in the U.S. But after a quick google of misophonia I'm 100% certain my son suffers from this. Particular sounds can trigger full-blown rage for him - usually resulting in repetitive shrieking at the top of his lungs. Not pretty.

Edited by momcap

• 1 month later...

My son has Misophonia and it is directed at me. He has Tourette syndrome and ocd as well. Honestly, I think caretakers of Misophonia sufferers need a support group themselves as it can be very hurtful and hard on us emotionally. I am looking for answers and help for us just so that we can function half way normal as a family. Any suggestions or support from other families who suffer is appreciated!