ACN Latitudes Forums

Pepcid or Tagamet....would it matter?

I remember reading on here that a mom had accidental success in reducing pandas symptoms when she gave her son pepcid to reduce reflux.

Interestingly enough, when I saw the LLMD yesterday and told him I have a son who has high histamines but can't tolerate any antihistamines or even quercitin, he suggested Tagamet OTC at bedtime only. He said it reduces histamines in gut and then overall histamine (not sure how).

SO wondering do I try the tagamet or do I use the pepcid instead that is H2 blocker that someone on here found success with?

Any thoughts?

Kim

Hi Kim

my son was on Tagamet once related to his Crohn's Disease

He began having horrible "waking nightmares" where he was aware of them yet was almost hallucinating. He described it as feeling paralyzed yet seeing weird things like rabid dogs attacking him, hearing strange voices etc. It was very scary.

Then I found info reporting others had experienced this with tagamet and he was switched to prevacid and the "nightmares" disappeared

This side effect does not happen to everyone, but is worth checking into before use IMO

I have been quickly researching....

I found notations that Tagamet is an immunomodulator in mucocutaneous candida...whatever mucocutaneous is? Mucous membrane and skin I would suppose.

I also found notations that some people can have neurobehavioral syndrome from withdrawal of tagamet....something to do with prolactin.

Pepcid study in kids with autism done...by a Dr. Linday. Here is interesting cut and paste. The dose seems higher than the box would instruct you most likely. With your son's reaction to Tagamet and then the other prolactin artcile and also that other moms on here have had luck with pepcid, I might try Pepcid instead. I have MD appt. tomorrow.

Here is cut and paste.

Kim

Med Hypotheses. 1997 May;48(5):381-6.

Oral famotidine: a potential treatment for children with autism.

Linday LA.

Source

College of Physicians and Surgeons, St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, NY 10019, USA.

Abstract

Famotidine (Pepcid, a histamine-2 receptor blocker, is marketed for the treatment of peptic ulcer disease, gastroesophageal reflux, and the treatment of pathological hypersecretory conditions, including the Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Recent reports indicate that it is also effective in relieving the deficit (or withdrawal) symptoms of adults with schizophrenia. Autism, a neuropsychiatric disorder which presents within the first few years of life, is defined by deficient social interaction, communication, language, play, and a markedly restricted repertoire of activities and interests. Similarities between the deficit symptoms of schizophrenia and the social deficit symptoms of autism suggest the hypothesis that famotidine may be useful in treating children with autism. Histamine serves as a neurotransmitter and neuromodulator in the brain. H2-receptors in the brain predominantly transmit inhibitory signals; when these receptors are stimulated in animals, spontaneous activity and exploratory behavior decrease; blockade of H2-receptors would therefore be expected to reverse this inhibition

Edited by Kimflow

Nancy,

Can you tell me what specific symptoms you see reduced with Pepcid? Does it come dye free? Thanks!

Nancy

We're one of the families that swears by Pepcid . . . one dose, once a day (before dinner). I never would've believed it's impact if I hadn't seen it for myself!

Nancy,

Can you tell me what specific symptoms you see reduced with Pepcid? Does it come dye free? Thanks!

Nancy

I don't know if it comes dye-free, specifically. But it definitely is available generically (famotidine), and the generic equivalent we get from our local grocery chain is white, so maybe that's dye-free? I think the generic we have also purchased from Target was pink, however. Or maybe it was the other way 'round? :wacko: Sorry . . . I can't keep track!

The Pepcid did two things for our DS: it put an end to his eczema outbreaks, and it has also curbed the sudden, "fight or flight" anxiety responses he frequently had on the heels of the eczema showing up. For him, if we saw the eczema flower in the crooks of his elbows or on his wrists, we knew it was only a matter of hours before his anxiety level would kick up and he'd have . . . usually not a full-scale meltdown . . . but a visibly anxious moment over some trigger. Usually it was homework or scheduling or something like that. We knew the eczema was at least partially a histamine response, but we hadn't specifically linked histamine as culprit in his anxiety response until we tried the Pepcid consistently for a couple of weeks, and those sort of "anxiety flashes" stopped occurring.

Thanks for the info! If I can get it dye free and it can possibly help to reduce anxiety I would like to have DD try it.

Nancy,

Nancy

I don't know if it comes dye-free, specifically. But it definitely is available generically (famotidine), and the generic equivalent we get from our local grocery chain is white, so maybe that's dye-free? I think the generic we have also purchased from Target was pink, however. Or maybe it was the other way 'round? :wacko: Sorry . . . I can't keep track!

The Pepcid did two things for our DS: it put an end to his eczema outbreaks, and it has also curbed the sudden, "fight or flight" anxiety responses he frequently had on the heels of the eczema showing up. For him, if we saw the eczema flower in the crooks of his elbows or on his wrists, we knew it was only a matter of hours before his anxiety level would kick up and he'd have . . . usually not a full-scale meltdown . . . but a visibly anxious moment over some trigger. Usually it was homework or scheduling or something like that. We knew the eczema was at least partially a histamine response, but we hadn't specifically linked histamine as culprit in his anxiety response until we tried the Pepcid consistently for a couple of weeks, and those sort of "anxiety flashes" stopped occurring.

Nancy, what dosage do you give and how many times per day? I found dye-free famotidine 20 mg.

Nancy

Thanks for the info! If I can get it dye free and it can possibly help to reduce anxiety I would like to have DD try it.

Nancy,

Nancy

Nancy, what dosage do you give and how many times per day? I found dye-free famotidine 20 mg.

Nancy

We're giving the "regular" strength, so it's just one 10 mg. tablet, once a day. From what I've seen, the 20 mg. would equate to Pepcid's "maximum" strength formula.

Yes, the 20 mg is maximum strength. It was the only one I could find dye-free.

Nancy

We're giving the "regular" strength, so it's just one 10 mg. tablet, once a day. From what I've seen, the 20 mg. would equate to Pepcid's "maximum" strength formula.

Honestly, I would still think that would be just fine; it might even be more effective. Can you run it past your ped?

I think the only additional thought I might have would be to perhaps give it at bedtime, away from an actual meal and prime digestion time, especially if your DD doesn't have any other issues, like reflux, that would suggest she could use an H2 antagonist for digestive issues as well as other histamine-related purposes. You wouldn't want to compromise her digestion unnecessarily.

Good luck! And if you do try it, please let us know how it goes!

I will do that. Thanks Nancy!

Honestly, I would still think that would be just fine; it might even be more effective. Can you run it past your ped?

I think the only additional thought I might have would be to perhaps give it at bedtime, away from an actual meal and prime digestion time, especially if your DD doesn't have any other issues, like reflux, that would suggest she could use an H2 antagonist for digestive issues as well as other histamine-related purposes. You wouldn't want to compromise her digestion unnecessarily.

Good luck! And if you do try it, please let us know how it goes!

• 2 months later...

After multiple kinds of antibiotics, some improvement which I am grateful for but still not enough to make life easier, recommended tonsillectomy that caused massive flare we are still in, more antibiotics, IVIG a week ago, we are not yet seeing improvements in chorea, anxiety,ocd, etc. I am trying to remain calm. :-) IN the meantime, I think now is the time to try the pecid as elelvated histamines have not been addressed yet and I would hope that lowering histamines would help with anxiety.

I plan to give at bedtime to avoid digestion issues. Was thinking I might start at half dose first night and then work up if tolerated.

Then we can work on methylation issues to help with bringing those histamines down naturally.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Kim