ACN Latitudes Forums

Natural Treatment for Strep in the Gut

Bumping up...this topic has sparked my curiosity...could strep in the gut be a cause of recurrent PANDAS symptoms? Has any of the PANDAS docs out there that you all have seen ever been concerned with this? Dr Latimer has never mentioned trying to search for or clear strep in the gut. From what I understand, there are all kinds of bacteria in the gut (everything lower than the stomach) and this is normal. But...can Strep A be down there? Or could the other strains of strep cause issues? I just don't know.

Update: fusobacteria sp. is in the 5th %tile (highest)

streptomyces sp. is 4th %tile.

I believe fusobacterium can be pretty dangerous and is treated with penicillin. Contacting our ped. regarding that.

Streptomyces doesn't seem to be related to streptococcal, but I haven't yet fully researched this.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!!

DS5's stool sample reveals strep in the gut (4). I heard this can be treated with essential oils but haven't been able to locate any definitive information. Does anyone have experience with this? Thanks!!

I do not have personal experience, but did hear of success with the Raindrop Therapy involving essential oils.

Hi MMC,

Really good questions...I don't have answers but I am prepared to conjecture. We see a DAN! dr who ordered stool testing and we found DS had overgrowths of strep and staph and undergrowths of E-coli in his gut (less than 0.1% where it should be over 70%!) The dr thought it essential that we treated for gut dysbiosis/leaky gut because of the negative impact of gut dysfunction on the immune system and neurotransmitters. I believe the strep normally found in small amounts in the gut is a different strain, but some parents on this forum believe their kids react negatively to strep thermophillus in some probiotics, so I can't help thinking that our kids' immune systems get so scrambled that just about anything will set them off...so why not other strep strains? But I really don't know whether strep A can survive in the gut. I just know that my son is in a whole better place now that we've got the E.coli numbers up in his gut and strep numbers are down. Sorting out vit and mineral deficiencies (zinc, Vit D) and a gut healing diet have also helped.

Philamom: We used the GI Effects Complete Profile -- Stool, with Metametrix. The fusobacterium and streptomyces came up high, but not high enough to be considered "opportunistic" infections. According to our ped., this is why the strain of strep is not specified. Regardless of strain, I'd like to see the numbers lowered and normal balance in the gut restored.

MMC: Regarding your question about strep in the gut, Dr. Yasko makes this observation: "Streptococcal infection in the gut can serve as a reservoir to reinfect the sinuses. Chronic streptococcal infection has been associated with OCD behavior as well as tics, over stimulatory behavior and perseverative speech." (http://www.vsan.org/rok-az/methylation/AutismAnswerUpdatedGutprotocol4.pdf). This doesn't quite answer your question, but is of particular interest to me because DS5 has had chronic sinusitis since December. He's been on zithro for the past month for mycoplasma, but, as with all previous antibiotics, the nose clears for a few days and then returns to its stuffy, runny state. Because previous strep tests came up negative, I believed I was dealing solely with myco, but the results of this stool sample, in conjunction with Yasko's statement, seem in line with DS's situation.

BWS: Thanks for the info regarding Raindrop Therapy. There is quite a bit of info out there regarding essential oils, particularly oregano, being very effective in combating strep; however, it seems they are also very powerful and must be used with care. I must look into this further....

Thanks everyone!!

Thanks phil. I'm getting ready to run the Metametrix stool sample on my dd. Year and half ago, we did a Genova Diagnostics stool test that showed alpha haemolytic streptococcus (4+), but I think it was non-pathogen - not sure. My dd10 had chronic sinusitis growing up...so interesting observation.

Edited by philamom

• 8 months later...

Thanks phil. I'm getting ready to run the Metametrix stool sample on my dd. Year and half ago, we did a Genova Diagnostics stool test that showed alpha haemolytic streptococcus (4+), but I think it was non-pathogen - not sure. My dd10 had chronic sinusitis growing up...so interesting observation.

Just wondering how these issues were (if) resolved? We did the same Metamatrix test for dd and are awaiting results. My ds5 complains of a bellyache EVERYDAY several times a day. He is on acyclovir for HSV1 and it is working great. Stopped wetting the bed, regression improving. But I am wondering if he has other belly issues. All 3 of my kids have chronic sinusitis.

Edited by JenniferG