ACN Latitudes Forums

Regression with Aspergers?

• 1 year later...

my son is 13, he developed normally, then at 11 when he changed to secondary school he regressed overnight, baby talk, no concentration, funny walks, aggression. They think he has pandas, but there is also a possibility it could have been the stress of moveing to a big school.combination of the both really. He has severe seperation anxiety, has lost all his math skill and is a very unhappy boy as he cant do what he used to do.

Sarina

my son is 13, he developed normally, then at 11 when he changed to secondary school he regressed overnight, baby talk, no concentration, funny walks, aggression. They think he has pandas, but there is also a possibility it could have been the stress of moveing to a big school.combination of the both really. He has severe seperation anxiety, has lost all his math skill and is a very unhappy boy as he cant do what he used to do.

Sarina

I think stress may have been to blame, too. I think during the bad times with my son, it was mostly due to stress. I've noticed more and more that stress is probably the biggest factor in his case.

Thanks for your input.

• 8 months later...

My son has always had problems. He was diagnosed with TS at 5 in kindergarten, and had problems every year with OCD, attention social interaction, the school diagnosed him with aspergers (at age 7) and after I read a book about this I realized he had every asperger issue in the book. So the school has treated him for aspergers. He was able to handle school for the most, he needed a little help from other students, His IQ is extremely high but he still needed a little help. In fourth grade he was getting up to his alarm and taking a bath by himself (I was just supervising) he was getting dressed and brushing his teeth and even making his own bowl of cereal. He continued this all the way through 5 th grade. In 5th grade his school was worried he would not do well in a regular middle school, 6 class changes and the work load. So I put him in a private school where 40% of the students had aspergers. It was similar to his elementary school. No class changes and no homework ever. But after only a month he was no longer taking a bath by himself still to this day (he is 13 now) I have to wash his hair and put the tooth paste on his tooth brush, he is going through puberty so its strange for me to bathe my 13 year old son but he could care less if anyone sees him naked. He started brushing his own teeth again but his OCD is so bad it takes him about 20 minutes to complete the process. He is not the same kid I had in elementary school. He is so different. He was only at this school for 12 weeks until his behavior was so bad they asked us to not come back, they said they have never seen anything like this, the first few weeks they told me yes he has aspergers and he is just like all the other children, than over night they changed there tone. I asked my son the other day if he could remember the last time he had a sore throat? My son has a photographic and remarkable memory. He answered me like I was stupid for mot remembering this (he thinks everyone has his memory) really annoyed that I could not recall his last sore throat he answered "at the academy (private school) remember I told you that I told my teacher I had strep throat and she asked me what kind of doctor I was. They checked my temp and told me I had no fever and to go sit back down". I don't recall this but he insists this had occurred. He said his throat only hurt for about a day and a half and that I never took him to the doctors office. I was told about a month ago that he had panadas and thats why is behavior is the way it is. But his Neurologist told me he did not have panadas. He just has TS and aspergers. And that his regression was due to his aspergers, not panadas. Now what?

Hi Jennifer,

FYI, it seems that most neurologists (ours certainly wasn't) are not well informed re PANDAS. So, if your neurologist says "it is not PANDAS", I would take that statement with a grain of salt.

Has your son had a throat culture recently? (do 72hour if rapid is neg). It may also be helpful to culture other family members.

If I remember from a previous post, your son's strep titers were elevated; certainly much higher than my dd's were when she had full blown psychotic PANDAS.

IMO, a PANDAS episode would be a plausible explanation for his behavior changes. Also, I think your neurologist should to offer other explanations for this behavior change before he discounts PANDAS so quickly. On what basis did the neurologist rule out PANDAS?

Many children can have strep with atypical (or no) symptoms other than a behavior change. If the strep is hiding out in the sinuses, skin or rectally, then a throat culture may also be neg.

I'm not saying that your son does or does not PANDAS...I just think the neurologist was a bit hasty in dismissing it as a possiblity.