ACN Latitudes Forums

7th grade vaccines

Okay, I'm getting pestered! ;)

Luckily I'm in CA so I can take a personal exemption.

I might ask our ped to write a medical exemption (although it's more trouble), since that is the REAL reason we're not vaccinating. If our ped doesn't do it, then I'm sure our psychiatrist well.

I'm wondering about titers on the Tdap (dtap?)...has anyone done this? here on this CDC form it says "not practical" for serology for Tdap. http://www.dhss.delaware.gov/dph/dpc/files/cdc_guidance_serology_and_revaccination.pdf

I guess tetanus is the one I'm most worried about (in terms of dd actually have a problem if unvaccinated) since she does go barefoot etc.

Is there a titer for pertusis? .... not that I'm really worried about that since dd is on daily Azith (one of the treatments for pertusis).

Just a reminder - We have not received your 6th grade student¹s shot record

indicating they received the Tdap/pertussis (whooping cough) booster shot

usually given after age 7. A new school immunization law requires all

students entering 7th through 12th grades in the 2012-2013 school year in

California to be immunized with a pertussis (whooping cough) vaccine booster

called Tdap. Further information is available at www.shotsforschool.org

<http://www.shotsforschool.org>

DD12 is currently in 6th also. We had 3 sets of vaccine titers run by Dr. B in 11/2010, she was 10 at the time. The strep pnuemoniae 14 serotypes, the H. Influenzae Type B and Tetanus. I got the rationale for the strep pnuemo and HiB (which for both she had no protection) but was always curious why he chose to check tetanus (for which protection has held.)

Dr. K had also mentioned Tetanus was the only vaccine that we should get or check to see if protection is maintained. Her tetanus level was 1.37 with in-range protection levels >.15

We obtained the medical exemption from Dr. B last year for both girls, but so far I think my older one has only "missed" the meningitis.....which in all likelihood would not take anyway.

I am with you EAmom.

My dd was due for meningococcal and TDap to enter school this year. Last year was tough, with 2 pandas episodes and some "stuck" ocd. She was finally in a great place in the summer. There was NO way I was even considering vaxing her. I went the route that I thought correct and obtained a letter from our neuro which just stated no vaccinations this year (not forever). Well our school nurse would not accept it. NJ only accepts medical exemptions for very specific diagnosis, and the doctor needs to write the diagnosis and the reason for non vaxing in the note- I looked on the website and even patients with aids and chemo are not exempt! Unbelievable.

I ended up having to lie (I do NOT like being put in that position- very unfair) and taking the religious exemption, because as of now NJ does not question it (there are groups that want to rid the state of this exemption). I am an agnostic- so it doesn't really apply :)

I do plan to test for tetanus titers this fall. I was wavering recently on vaccinations, just had some private conversations with someone from Lats on this. I think my position is strengthening back to NO vaccinations.

I wish we had a religious or personal exemption. In Mississippi and W. Virginia. the only exemptions available are medical. I don't know where to find the list of conditions that apply for the exemption. This is so unbelievable. I am so frustrated with this whole process.

We ran titers for this and my DD's was high. We check tetanus titers every 2 years just to make sure she has immunity. With all other vaccines titers was enough, but in the case of tetanus we had to get a letter from our MD stating that immunizations would be harmful to her immune system.

I might ask our ped to write a medical exemption (although it's more trouble), since that is the REAL reason we're not vaccinating. If our ped doesn't do it, then I'm sure our psychiatrist well.

I'm wondering about titers on the Tdap (dtap?)...has anyone done this? here on this CDC form it says "not practical" for serology for Tdap. http://www.dhss.delaware.gov/dph/dpc/files/cdc_guidance_serology_and_revaccination.pdf

I guess tetanus is the one I'm most worried about (in terms of dd actually have a problem if unvaccinated) since she does go barefoot etc.

Is there a titer for pertusis? .... not that I'm really worried about that since dd is on daily Azith (one of the treatments for pertusis).

I wish we had a religious or personal exemption. In Mississippi and W. Virginia. the only exemptions available are medical. I don't know where to find the list of conditions that apply for the exemption. This is so unbelievable. I am so frustrated with this whole process.

Ughh, I'm sorry for you! I hope you can get the medical exemption.

We ran titers for this and my DD's was high. We check tetanus titers every 2 years just to make sure she has immunity. With all other vaccines titers was enough, but in the case of tetanus we had to get a letter from our MD stating that immunizations would be harmful to her immune system.

Good to know about checking every 2 years.

I am also in CA, with a 14 year old son.

I got the scary letter sent home, skull and crossbones type, telling me they would kick him out by so and so date unless I showed proof he had another, recent DTAP.

No where on that flyer did it talk about exemptions, which is our CA legal right.

I called, told them personally I'm waiving, they so okay, sure, sure,

but then I got another threatening flyer as the date got closer.

This time I drove to the school.

They looked him up on the computer, said oh so sorry, let me just 'uncheck' this-

we then had no problems.

By the way, he was completely and fully vaxed as a child, but based on my history as these children's mother, I refuse to take a risk of setting something off in them while under my legal care

( age 18)

My 2 young girls are also vaxed, but the youngest (non PANS) is missing 2 boosters, I refuse. It's been 2 years since she has had a shot (5 years old)

I'm sorry, here is my point:

They try to scare you. They will not tell you that you have a legal right for exemption. That in fact, you can flip over the 'yellow vax card', and in small print, you can sign that you decided to waive further.

I have even googled 'CA exemption form for vaccines' and printed it out- professional document, and I signed it and put it in my young girls files at the elementary schools.

Sorry so long, hot button topic for me.

I am with you EAmom.

My dd was due for meningococcal and TDap to enter school this year. Last year was tough, with 2 pandas episodes and some "stuck" ocd. She was finally in a great place in the summer. There was NO way I was even considering vaxing her. I went the route that I thought correct and obtained a letter from our neuro which just stated no vaccinations this year (not forever). Well our school nurse would not accept it. NJ only accepts medical exemptions for very specific diagnosis, and the doctor needs to write the diagnosis and the reason for non vaxing in the note- I looked on the website and even patients with aids and chemo are not exempt! Unbelievable.

I ended up having to lie (I do NOT like being put in that position- very unfair) and taking the religious exemption, because as of now NJ does not question it (there are groups that want to rid the state of this exemption). I am an agnostic- so it doesn't really apply :)

I do plan to test for tetanus titers this fall. I was wavering recently on vaccinations, just had some private conversations with someone from Lats on this. I think my position is strengthening back to NO vaccinations.

Exactly! We're not 100%, but we're "pretty good". Functional at least, doing pretty well in school. She still has some quirks/low grade OCD/anxiety. She still reacts to illness. Fortunately, she herself hasn't had a fever this school year, but she has reacted when her sister got a fever! So, obviously her immune system is doing something. It just seems like playing with fire to vaccinate. Knowing that we can test tentanus titers (knock on wood they are okay) and she is on Azith. (so the of her getting perstusis is non-existent IMHO) makes me all the more certain it is right to not vaccinate.

Not sure if anyone posted this or not, but here is a link for your states exemptions policy. It does not specifically state the medical conditions approved. Hopefully a willing doc will know:

" The child's pediatrician, family practitioner or internist licensed in Mississippi must write a letter to the District Health Officer for the child's county of residence, requesting an exemption from specific vaccines for school entry. The letter must contain the child's name and date of birth, the specific vaccine(s) for which the exemption is requested, as well as the medical reason for the exemption request.

The District Health Officer will reply by mail, and supply a Medical Exemption Form 122 for the physician to provide for the child."

My link

EAMom...

Both my boys got Pertussis a few summers back despite being fully vaxed. So, in my opinion, what is the point of the vaccine? A few docs seem to think the vaccine is not so great....proved to be the case for my boys. One son did not flair from the illness, the other started to, but, I quickly dosed a steroid burst because it started with the potential to be a decent flair. With the combo of zith and steroids, the flair was stopped in its tracks and the illness ran its course with no incident in either child. Not worth the risk....vaccinating. (just my opinion) They both did get their Tdap titers run. Both are protected for all, still, and now their Pertussis titers are really high. So, it seems out of the 3 components, pertussis was the element that didn't take for them. Tetanus and diptheria are good. After going through pertussis, although it was not fun, it wasn't terrible and I would take the illness over a PANDAS flair or the potential havoc vaccines can do.

My son is also extering 7th grade and is "required" to get shots. All I give them is a script slip that Dr. L scribbles "vaccine exempt" on it and that is all it takes for us. Younger son "needed" shots last year for 3rd grade and that scribble worked for him. :) It should be that easy for everyone!!

And s&s is right...they try to scare you and make you think you have no options! Bullies!

Oh and for me.....I am 100% convinced that not vaccinating is right for my boys. Gotta keep the immune system as calm as possible for as long as possible....give it time to heal.......to "fix itself"...as Dr. C stated.

Edited by P.Mom

[quote name='dcmom' timestamp='1337182125' post='139771' she is on Azith. (so the of her getting perstusis is non-existent IMHO) makes me all the more certain it is right to not vaccinate.

So why are we vaccinating against pertussis anyway, if it is treatable with abx?????!!

I wonder which vaccines are really "life saving for fatal diseases".

My very pro pediatrician recently admitted to me that Polio was to be taken out of the vaccine schedule prior to 9/11 and they kept it on only due to the threat of bioterrorism....

Not sure if anyone posted this or not, but here is a link for your states exemptions policy. It does not specifically state the medical conditions approved. Hopefully a willing doc will know:

" The child's pediatrician, family practitioner or internist licensed in Mississippi must write a letter to the District Health Officer for the child's county of residence, requesting an exemption from specific vaccines for school entry. The letter must contain the child's name and date of birth, the specific vaccine(s) for which the exemption is requested, as well as the medical reason for the exemption request.

The District Health Officer will reply by mail, and supply a Medical Exemption Form 122 for the physician to provide for the child."

My link

I think this is going to be an uphill battle for me!!! my ped. is refusing to give my son the medical exemption. I will go to as many dr's as necessary in hope that one of them will listen to me. what else can I do. It specifically states that it has to be a dr. liscensed in MS otherwise I would just do a phone consult with dr.k or someone and get their signature. It really hacks me off that there is one guy sitting in an office somewhere making decisions for OUR children.

[quote name='dcmom' timestamp='1337182125' post='139771' she is on Azith. (so the of her getting perstusis is non-existent IMHO) makes me all the more certain it is right to not vaccinate.

So why are we vaccinating against pertussis anyway, if it is treatable with abx?????!!

I wonder which vaccines are really "life saving for fatal diseases".

My very pro pediatrician recently admitted to me that Polio was to be taken out of the vaccine schedule prior to 9/11 and they kept it on only due to the threat of bioterrorism....

Pertussis is highly contagious and can be fatal to babies...so it is really more of a "herd health" thing. If all the non-PANDAS kids in the class are vaccinated (assuming the vaccine works!) then the unvaccinated PANDAS child is unlikely to be exposed in the first place.

And yes, it is treatable with antibiotics. I think the schools/health officials want to prevent big outbreaks.

I am also in CA, with a 14 year old son.

I got the scary letter sent home, skull and crossbones type, telling me they would kick him out by so and so date unless I showed proof he had another, recent DTAP.

No where on that flyer did it talk about exemptions, which is our CA legal right.

I called, told them personally I'm waiving, they so okay, sure, sure,

but then I got another threatening flyer as the date got closer.

This time I drove to the school.

They looked him up on the computer, said oh so sorry, let me just 'uncheck' this-

we then had no problems.

By the way, he was completely and fully vaxed as a child, but based on my history as these children's mother, I refuse to take a risk of setting something off in them while under my legal care

( age 18)

My 2 young girls are also vaxed, but the youngest (non PANS) is missing 2 boosters, I refuse. It's been 2 years since she has had a shot (5 years old)

I'm sorry, here is my point:

They try to scare you. They will not tell you that you have a legal right for exemption. That in fact, you can flip over the 'yellow vax card', and in small print, you can sign that you decided to waive further.

I have even googled 'CA exemption form for vaccines' and printed it out- professional document, and I signed it and put it in my young girls files at the elementary schools.

Sorry so long, hot button topic for me.

Oh yes, total bullies. It looks like you should be able to get a Personal Beliefs Exemption form at the school office. http://vaclib.org/exempt/states/ca/FAQ-CDPH8261.htm

The only good thing (I my mind) is that if all the other kids in the class are vaccinated, there is "herd health" and my unvaccinated dd is less likely to be exposed. Also, thanks to the internet, anybody with vaccine concerns (hopefully) will find out about the PBE.

From July 1, 2011 thru June 31, 2012, students entering grades 7-12 must either receive the Tdap vaccine, or submit a medical exemption or a Personal Beliefs exemption. The Personal Beliefs exemption (PBE) should* be filed on CDPH 8261.

On July 1, 2012 and after only children entering the 7th grade need the Tdap vaccine or an exemption.

See California Department of Education (CDE) site for further information:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/he/hn/pertussis.asp

* California Statutue law, section 120365 states

"... files with the governing authority a letter or affidavit stating that the immunization is contrary to his or her beliefs."

Statutue law does not require the letter or affidavit to be filed on CDPH's form.

When do I use pm286b?

PM 286b is the regular Immunization Record form with a Personal Beliefs Exemption Affidavit on the back of the form. This form continues to be the form for exemptions to all vaccinations in California, other than the school pertussis booster. This form (pb 286b) will be used to record the Tdap status by using a sticker affixed to the front of the form. School staff will take care of this requirement.

Where do I obtain CDPH 8261?

All California schools should have been sent copies of CDPH 8261 in January 2011. If your school district does not have copies, see next Q and A.

Note: At this time CDPH 8261 is not posted online and CDPH wants parents to receive this form from your school district.

In reality I might end up filing a PBE, since they want it by June 1st...and we're not going to see the ped before then (or draw blood...we'll probably do a blood draw in late June/July and do the tetanus titers then).

Edited by EAMom