ACN Latitudes Forums

St. John's wort contraindicated YES or NO in PANDAS

I read on a PANDAS blog...cannot remember which one....that St. John's wort is contraidicated for kids with PANDAS. What are your thoughts? Does everyone feel this way?

What do you all use then besides 5htp that is natural for anxiety?

Thanks.

I have/had not heard that. We use SJW 3x daily. We have thrown the whole homeopathic book, per DAN/Integrative Ped recommendations, at our dd. My understanding is it used for fighting depression promoting positive mood. We use lithium orotate for mood stability. Keeping in mind we have been doing the homeopathic route of supplements since early Dec 2011. We have been overall pretty happy with the results......very happy prior to latest known strep exposure. We have been off all abx since about mid april just prior to the strep exposure. We are continuing to get better off abx. Next fall will be the true test.....I think....we will see.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• 3 months later...

I read on a PANDAS blog...cannot remember which one....that St. John's wort is contraidicated for kids with PANDAS. What are your thoughts? Does everyone feel this way?

Maybe b/c it is like an SSRI?

It also seems like it can interact with a lot of other drugs. http://www.livestrong.com/article/158126-st-johns-wort-interactions/