ACN Latitudes Forums

What SSRI best for kids...

I have not read the entire thread, but I wanted to say that we had positive responses for two children to clomipramine (anafranil). One had.a horrible response to prozac and luvox, though at high doses that I now know were adjusted up way to quickly.

I would encourage people to consider it as an option for some kids.

We also think rilutek was helpful for our child-not an ssri, but possibly may work as an OCD med.

I have not read the entire thread, but I wanted to say that we had positive responses for two children to clomipramine (anafranil). One had.a horrible response to prozac and luvox, though at high doses that I now know were adjusted up way to quickly.

I would encourage people to consider it as an option for some kids.

We also think rilutek was helpful for our child-not an ssri, but possibly may work as an OCD med.

Interesting...riluzole (rilutek) does modulate glutamate

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9750003

Something else to consider! http://www.ocfoundation.org/glutamate.aspx

Fortunately, a number of medications that affect glutamate levels are already FDA approved for other medical conditions and are therefore readily available for research and clinical use. One such medication is riluzole (Rilutek®), which has been marketed since 1996 for Lou Gehrig’s disease (ALS). Riluzole affects glutamate levels in several ways. In an initial open-label study in 2005 and a case series in 2008, we found that approximately half of the severely ill, treatment-refractory patients who have not responded to other treatments improved significantly when riluzole was added to their SSRI. Researchers at the National Institute of Mental Health have found similar results using riluzole in children with OCD. Controlled, double-blind studies (the best way to test the effectiveness of a medication) for riluzole in adult and pediatric OCD have already begun.

Edited by EAMom