ACN Latitudes Forums

What SSRI best for kids...

My son, Ian, age 9, is dealing with OCD issues starting from PANDAS. We are treating that with IVIG and antibiotics. But we are also trying to treat the OCD too. He goes to therapy and we are trying a low dose SSRI, prozac. The prozac doesn't seem to be really working that great for him. His mood seems a bit better and the OCD seems a bit better too. But he also goes through spells of feeling very sad and that he just wants to die. Not all the time, but often at night maybe every couple of weeks. It is enough that it concerns me. He is only on 5 mg. But we see the neurologist on Monday. I want to tell him about this and see if perhaps a different medication will work better for him. What I am wondering is what other SSRIs are prescribed in children? does anyone have any feedback on what has helped their child? Thanks so much.

Lisa

My son, Ian, age 9, is dealing with OCD issues starting from PANDAS. We are treating that with IVIG and antibiotics. But we are also trying to treat the OCD too. He goes to therapy and we are trying a low dose SSRI, prozac. The prozac doesn't seem to be really working that great for him. His mood seems a bit better and the OCD seems a bit better too. But he also goes through spells of feeling very sad and that he just wants to die. Not all the time, but often at night maybe every couple of weeks. It is enough that it concerns me. He is only on 5 mg. But we see the neurologist on Monday. I want to tell him about this and see if perhaps a different medication will work better for him. What I am wondering is what other SSRIs are prescribed in children? does anyone have any feedback on what has helped their child? Thanks so much.

Lisa

We have had experience with similar stuff. One of our doctors told us that kids with PANDAS sometimes do not respond well to SSRI's. For us it was just masking an underlying infection. She is now SSRI-free :-) But that being said, everyone is different. Make sure your neurologist believes in PANDAS. Good luck :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Clomipramine isn't even an SSRI (I think it's a tricyclic), but it has been known to help with OCD all the same. In the UK, at least, it's usually used only when an SSRI has been tried and hasn't worked well enough. I don't know about in children.