ACN Latitudes Forums

Low white blood cell

My DS has a low white blood cell count 4.6 and high 1.1 basaphils. Not sure how to interpret this. Could a high IGG for Myco plasma (above 5.0) suppress the wbc count (he does NOT have a current infection) I am a little concerned and cannot get the Dr on the phone. Thanks.

I can't remember if you have run co-infection panel for Lyme yet? We had similar results and low WBC. When you are dealing with Tick Borne Infections the low WBC can indicate Ehrlichiosis or Babesia.

"The healthcare provider should also look at routine blood tests, such as a complete blood cell count or a chemistry panel. Clues such as a low platelet count (thrombocytopenia), low white blood cell count (leukopenia), or elevated liver enzyme levels are helpful predictors of ehrlichiosis"

http://www.cdc.gov/ehrlichiosis/symptoms/

"Thrombocytopenia and a normal or low white blood cell count are common"

http://aapredbook.aappublications.org/cgi/content/extract/2009/1/3.11

I can't remember if you have run co-infection panel for Lyme yet? We had similar results and low WBC. When you are dealing with Tick Borne Infections the low WBC can indicate Ehrlichiosis or Babesia.

"The healthcare provider should also look at routine blood tests, such as a complete blood cell count or a chemistry panel. Clues such as a low platelet count (thrombocytopenia), low white blood cell count (leukopenia), or elevated liver enzyme levels are helpful predictors of ehrlichiosis"

http://www.cdc.gov/ehrlichiosis/symptoms/

"Thrombocytopenia and a normal or low white blood cell count are common"

http://aapredbook.aappublications.org/cgi/content/extract/2009/1/3.11

Thanks SF Mom. We ran everything and although he has come up negative on all western blot and Igenix tests, Dr J is pretty certain it is Bartonella and Lyme. Even though he didn't order the tests, I am going to have them sent to him. He is at a conference and will not be back until Monday though..

We had two of three children negative for co-infections via Igenex. One child however was positive via blood work for both Bartonella/Babesia. Our LLMD felt its was an 'indication' that the other two were infected similarly because we were dealing with congenital Lyme. We ended up doing several different types of tests to determine if Babesia was an issue for the other two: blood smears, stools analysis, CBC panel, clinical symptoms, treatment responsiveness, ART muscle testing, etc. It is now very clear all three children had/have Babesia even in absence of positive blood work. We also did ART muscle testing for Ehrlichiosis and my older son and myself are positive. Thankfully Ehrlichiosis gets treated along with Lyme. Babesia requires an anti-parasitic... typically Mepron. Our WBC in one child is still 4.6 at last check but we just started treating Babesia after treating Bartonella/Lyme for a very long time. I suspect neither infection is fully dealt with but this particular child is doing much, much better.

All 3 of my boys had low white blood cell counts. They all have lyme, but only the oldest has PANDAS. It took several months of combo abx before white blood cell counts came back into the normal range.

I am also trying to understand my son's low wbc. In March his wbc was 7.1, now a month later it is only 3.5. He has been treated for Lyme since Feb 28. Shouldn't the wbc rise and not fall? he has not had any illnesses/viruses in the past month that I am aware of as I know that can drop the wbc. he recently tested negative for babesia, bartonella, erlichia. His IgG was positve for rickettsial fever abs, RMSF.

Colleen

I noticed in my 9 year old DD's bloodwork that her WBC was low at 4.6 too. The ped told me it was nothing to worry about and not significant. Is it felt that it relates to all PANDAS, or more specifically to Lyme and other TBI? I had thought of my DD having Lyme and Bartonella before I even thought of PANDAS, but she's never been tested (I don't count the ELISA screening she had).