ACN Latitudes Forums

T & A for DS 5

Hi All,

We are in the process of planning my DS 5’s T & A and are in need of some advice. He is currently on his third week of Zithromax (for mycoplasm) and we want to do a three-month course before the procedure, which would place it at some point in July. From what I’ve read in these posts, IV antibiotics will be necessary. Can azithromycin be administered intravenously? If not, is it advisable to do a test run of the IV antibiotic before the procedure? If anyone can offer any advice on this, it would be greatly appreciated. Our DS starts kindergarten in September, and we’d like to do everything in our power to give him a strong start.

Oh, and if anyone knows of an ENT in the NY metro area who is familiar with the PANS/PANDAS protocol, I’d love to hear from you!

Thanks,

Phil

I believe you can do iv zith, don't think you need to do a test run though. Problem is finding a co-operative ENT. I'm out west, found a great one who obliged with everything I asked. I just asked for iv antibiotics, didn't specify which ones. Asked to culture everything, which he did and TG because cultures were pos for pseudomonas and did 10day dose of cipro for that. Can your pandas Dr recommend a good (co-operative) ENT?

I believe you can do iv zith, don't think you need to do a test run though. Problem is finding a co-operative ENT. I'm out west, found a great one who obliged with everything I asked. I just asked for iv antibiotics, didn't specify which ones. Asked to culture everything, which he did and TG because cultures were pos for pseudomonas and did 10day dose of cipro for that. Can your pandas Dr recommend a good (co-operative) ENT?

Hi Kiera,

Thanks for your reply. The ENT our ped. recommended prescribed the antihistamine and corticosteroid which triggered the tics and ultimately alerted us to the bigger underlying issues (a blessing in disguise, I suppose). We haven't contacted her regarding the T & A yet. Whoever we ultimately go with, we'll be sure to confirm they're willing to administer IV abx and cultures!

Thanks for the info,

Phil

My ds 14 had T&A last year and just on a fluke, I asked if nasal swab could be done on his sinuses to see if MaRcons were present. He has never had strep or sinus issues but wanted to check while he was asleep as the procedure is not fun otherwise. It came back positive! Doctor was surprised she got a positive first try, but figured it was due to him being asleep and the ENT going deep. She said it usually takes several swabs to get a positive. We treated the staph with BEG spray for 3 months and am hoping it is gone now.

My ds 14 had T&A last year and just on a fluke, I asked if nasal swab could be done on his sinuses to see if MaRcons were present. He has never had strep or sinus issues but wanted to check while he was asleep as the procedure is not fun otherwise. It came back positive! Doctor was surprised she got a positive first try, but figured it was due to him being asleep and the ENT going deep. She said it usually takes several swabs to get a positive. We treated the staph with BEG spray for 3 months and am hoping it is gone now.

Excellent idea! We've been wanting to do the sinus culture because DS has had chronic sinusitis, but we've been holding off because it's an uncomfortable procedure, and he's been through quite a bit with doctors lately. Thanks for the info!!