ACN Latitudes Forums

triggers

Guest Guest_pearl

Guest Guest_pearl

I've been looking at the trigger survey. i never thought to look for things that might make make my daughters tics worse. but i know parties make her crazy. i always thought it was the excitement but maybe the treats had something to do with it. this opens up a whole new world. I can imagine why my neurologist would say. he told me ts was genetic. but to try to keep stress down. anyone else out there who has been in the dark like me/? :unsure:

Guest also lost

hey, don't feel bad. we were ALL in the dark for a long time. even if we suspected something, if we told the doc they said we were nuts. once you start to get the hang of it, it's not so hard. then the next step will be to figure out why our kids are so trigger-sensitive.

:unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest learning more

we've started talking about triggers in our TS group and I'm amazed at what we are learing. a lot of them seem to be related to hyper sensitivities like light, sound, touch. not to mention food and smelly things. i hope people will keep sharing and thinking about this. my doctor NEVER told us this. just about stress. i should have seen it myself but never crossed my mind.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest_rayna

i was reading the latest latitudes and think its fascinating how many people talked about light bothering their tics, and not just eye tics. it seems tied into a sensory overload. i know flourescent lights make me feel agitated and increase my tics. rayna

• 1 month later...
Guest Jeff

Hi, In my opinion, and personal experience, the Treats have Everything to do with it! We have TS tics, but are able to control them unbelievably well by eliminating certain food additives. The artifical colors (red #40, yellow #5, etc.), artificial flavors (including vanillin), and certain preservatives in our processed foods have tremendous effects on people, especially children. Check out the Feingold Diet (feingold.org) for more info. They are a non-profit organization. The annual fee (~ $75 first year, less after that) covers research that they do on thousands of food products. They publish an annual food guide listing the products which are approved.

This diet is making a difference for thousands of families who are struggling with tics, ADHD, and many other behavioral situations. After a "de-tox" period of up to 6 weeks, the differences in your children can be like night and day. I am living proof. My daughters started ticing at about age 6 too. For a couple of years we suffered through the teasing, crying, frustration, etc. Since we discovered Feingold, the tics are rarely an issue. They only come back when we "cheat" on the diet.

I encourage everyone who is looking for an alternative to meds to try this out.

Any questions, let me know. Jeff

Jeff, have been reading your posts and think it's good to repeat the message on additives etc. etc. It's a really "big one." I've seen a lot on that in Latitudes. But there's lots of other issues dont you think?. Don't forget all the allergies and toxicities, pesticides etc.

From a believer that it's: Never too late

Hi

I so agree that the management of environmental triggers for tics is way beyond just diet.

My son has spent some time documenting his tic triggers (inspired by the tic survey done here on ACN) and they range from diet to sound to light to tactile to emotional...........

There was quite an interesting discussion on this on the BrainTalk TS Forum if anyone is interested

http://neuro-mancer.mgh.harvard.edu/ubb/Fo...TML/005226.html

Jeff.....you may want to post your info on the Feingold Diet on that Forum too as a new topic......I am sure there are many people there who would benefit from it