ACN Latitudes Forums

hmm...ds's tooth gunk buildup/plaque

My ds gets some pretty gunky/cruddy buildup on his teeth-- yellow-brownish plaque like-- despite good habits and our best efforts. But, I've just noticed what seems like a pattern and has me wondering if there's something more to it.

There've been a few periods during which the buildup has decreased or stopped and really cleared up-- with no change in dental hygiene habits. It's happening again now and I've realized this time it began when he was changed from his Clinda to a single course of Sulfa (which he's on right now) for another infection. I have wondered in the past if the buildup was a side effect of the abx (maybe I'd read or heard that somewhere?). But now that I think back, the last time it cleared up I am almost certain coincided with a course of another abx for a breakthrough infection. But that time the Clinda wasn't discontinued-- the second abx was added to it. So, that's got me wondering if the crud is really because of the Clinda, or if it is happening despite the Clinda?

Any thoughts on the abx/tooth crud connection?

TIA :)

Yes, there is a definite connection. Abx can change the mucous makeup which causes a brownish/yellowish staining, or crud, as you put it. My dd had this and we ended up taking her for quarterly professional cleanings rather than 6-month cleanings. To reassure you, it is not decay, just an unsightly buildup.

My ds gets some pretty gunky/cruddy buildup on his teeth-- yellow-brownish plaque like-- despite good habits and our best efforts. But, I've just noticed what seems like a pattern and has me wondering if there's something more to it.

There've been a few periods during which the buildup has decreased or stopped and really cleared up-- with no change in dental hygiene habits. It's happening again now and I've realized this time it began when he was changed from his Clinda to a single course of Sulfa (which he's on right now) for another infection. I have wondered in the past if the buildup was a side effect of the abx (maybe I'd read or heard that somewhere?). But now that I think back, the last time it cleared up I am almost certain coincided with a course of another abx for a breakthrough infection. But that time the Clinda wasn't discontinued-- the second abx was added to it. So, that's got me wondering if the crud is really because of the Clinda, or if it is happening despite the Clinda?

Any thoughts on the abx/tooth crud connection?

TIA :)

Try having her use baking soda and water to brush her teeth. Put lots of baking soda on the wet toothbrush, and scrub. Use it for a few days in a row. I find that it really helps with stains, like blueberry, mango etc. Ds uses it.

My DD had terrible build-up before she began lyme/bart treatment. It would come for months and then completely vanish for no reason that I could correlate to. The hygenist would mention it and say that she needed to take more time brushing, but I have always brushed her teeth using an electric brush (we have some motor delay issues going on). Since she has begun combination abx treatment (with lots of probiotics) it has cleared up beautifully, and I have not changed my method of brushing. DD even brushes her own teeth now, once a day, I do the other. She was have IBS/cyclic diahrrea/stomach pain difficulties before she was diagnosed. I wonder if the oral biofilm had something to do with her gut health.

Thanks everyone.

We've also found that it comes off pretty quickly/easily at cleanings and brushing with baking soda paste at home helps, too. So fortunately I'm not too worried about the staining part -- but noticing the clearing up pattern around other abx got me wondering if there was more to it than I initially thought.

I was wondering about biofilms, too. I need to do some research...