ACN Latitudes Forums

frustrated strep is back--thoughts please

I cannot believe we have it again. Took My DDs to the ped since she has been sick for days (coughing, lost voice, etc) toddler also lost voice and is crying and mouthing. Also brought DS1 who is a PANDAS kid for an allergy shot. The dr tells me that my DD1 (who takes biaxin 2 x per day) just has "allergies" and needs clariton and should "suck it up" and go to school. The one year old is "teething" and her throat looks "perfect". Due to the fact that I have 2 kids w/ PANDAS I insisted on the swab. I believe to humor me she asks the nurse to come into the room. The nurse does the swab and returns to the room to tell me that my 2 girls have strep---I am floored. They agree to swab my son who has been "off" for a couple of weeks after he has been given his allergy shot . HE swabs positive also on the rapid (he NEVER swabs positive). I am so frustrated since DS is/has been on Clindamycin for a couple of months. Two different ENT's have told me that Clindamycin is the go to drug for Strep. Not sure what to make of this.

Thankfully DS2 is so far negative (he is on Clindamycin and biaxin). It is a nightmare when he is sick. I didn't think he was because his behavior/moodswings have been minimal.

I have been thinking of switching pediatricians, but it is such a big deal. But, this may be the last straw for me. It is a large practice and she does not believe in PANDAS.

Going to see our Dr tomorrow and I am sure he will probably have to check our titers. DH and I will have to get checked too. I pray that they don't have myco too.

Sorry for the rant. I am just shocked the he has strep AND that he swabbed positive. We have been through so many different kinds of antibiotics that I am not sure what he will get next. We have IVIG #4 coming up soon. Any thoughts much appreciated since I am seeing the Dr tomorrow.

Clindamycin had worked for my daughter in high doses for 10 days after 6 month of difficult to eradicate step . Then it took a combo of Bactrim and Zithromax for I've. Month to do the same In an episode a year later.

I am so sorry the strep is attacking your family again.

Had one positive thought though.....any chance it could be a good sign that he's swapping positive? Maybe you are at least getting the strep to the point that it's rearing it's ugly head in the strep tests? That could be a good thing. Would certainly help with the docs believing it's not in your head either.

Hang in there.

Also had success with Azithro/Bactrim combo. Did wonders for my son. You mentioned teething so I just wanted to share that when teeth erupt they release dental carriers such as strep mutans and that can also trigger oral bacteria and pandas.

You might have your kids brush and rinse with Spry/Xclear products. The strep mutans eat the xylitol because it is sweet but is actually toxic to the strep and therefore kills oral strep. They make a toothpaste and a rinse.

Best wishes for speedy recoveries.

My son rarely swabbed as positive. The strep was hiding out inside the nasal tissues, under the skin. Have you had your children's streptococcal titers checked? This measures their antibodies to a number of varieties of strep. If they don't have many antibodies, antibiotics are not going to do much good.

DS, 12, tested positive on Streptozyme screen while taking Clarithromycin, Clindamycin, and Minocycline. Those drugs should have been enough to kill strep in a normal person, but since no antibodies, no defense.

Has your child had the Prevnar vaccine?

I cannot stress enough to get these things tested ASAP.

Cobbie

My son rarely swabbed as positive. The strep was hiding out inside the nasal tissues, under the skin. Have you had your children's streptococcal titers checked? This measures their antibodies to a number of varieties of strep. If they don't have many antibodies, antibiotics are not going to do much good.

DS, 12, tested positive on Streptozyme screen while taking Clarithromycin, Clindamycin, and Minocycline. Those drugs should have been enough to kill strep in a normal person, but since no antibodies, no defense.

Has your child had the Prevnar vaccine?

I cannot stress enough to get these things tested ASAP.

Cobbie

Thanks for everyones thoughts. He had the nasal MRI---nothing of consequence and had a rectal swab-no strep there. It seems to come and go and probably does not help that his brother is constantly sick. We are starting round 4 of IVIG. I think we may be leaning towards a Tonsillectomy this summer (adenoids taken out years ago)---will have to see what the Dr says. ASO just came back + probably has Myco again too we are waiting for the rest of the results to come back. :( Dr put him back on Augmentin.

Cobbie-I am going to check to see if he has had the prevnar.....probably has though. What age is that given---is it 4?

• 2 weeks later...

It sounds like a tonsilectomy would be helpful. You could have pockets of strep that aren't being eradicated. In the meantime, one option would be to "pulse" the antibiotics. You give abx for a period of time, go off and then back on. Many bacteria hide in biofilms and retreat into the films when they sense a threat (abx). Then re-emerge when the threat is gone. But you would need a supportive, experienced doctor on board to help with the timing and scripts.

In the meantime, one option would be to use something that weakens the biofilms. In the lyme world, nattokinase is used. But again, without medical support, it's not an option. So the things that are available to you are something like mucinex which loosens mucus (similar in characteristics to biofilms) and/or N-Acetylcystine (NAC) which breaks down biofilms. You might want to try using regular dosing of one of these at the same time you give abx. It might help the abx penetrate or get at bacteria that's hiding in a film.

Is the strep blood test the aso titer and Anti-DNase B . This is the one I am trying to get. Please let me know if it's the right one. I am new with the testing.

Mar

DS, only tested positive on a Streptozyme titer test. He had no antibodies, so no increase on ASO or anti/Dnase B. Prevnar vaccine is not always given in every state. Evidently it is not required in Mo. I would consult an immunologist, before letting anyone immunize your child or give the Prevnar. Who is doing your IVIg?

Edited by cobbiemommy