ACN Latitudes Forums

Tel Aviv Study published!

The long awaited Tel Aviv has been published! We first heard about this in 2010 and it is finally in print!

Abstract http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22534626

Behavioral, Pharmacological, and Immunological Abnormalities after Streptococcal Exposure: A Novel Rat Model of Sydenham Chorea and Related Neuropsychiatric Disorders.

Brimberg L, Benhar I, Mascaro-Blanco A, Alvarez K, Lotan D, Winter C, Klein J, Moses AE, Somnier FE, Leckman JF, Swedo SE, Cunningham MW, Joel D.

Source

School of Psychological Sciences, Tel Aviv University, Tel Aviv, Israel.

Abstract

Group A streptococcal (GAS) infections and autoimmunity are associated with the onset of a spectrum of neuropsychiatric disorders in children, with the prototypical disorder being Sydenham chorea (SC). Our aim was to develop an animal model that resembled the behavioral, pharmacological, and immunological abnormalities of SC and other streptococcal-related neuropsychiatric disorders. Male Lewis rats exposed to GAS antigen exhibited motor symptoms (impaired food manipulation and beam walking) and compulsive behavior (increased induced-grooming). These symptoms were alleviated by the D2 blocker haloperidol and the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor paroxetine, respectively, drugs that are used to treat motor symptoms and compulsions in streptococcal-related neuropsychiatric disorders. Streptococcal exposure resulted in antibody deposition in the striatum, thalamus, and frontal cortex, and concomitant alterations in dopamine and glutamate levels in cortex and basal ganglia, consistent with the known pathophysiology of SC and related neuropsychiatric disorders. Autoantibodies (IgG) of GAS rats reacted with tubulin and caused elevated calcium/calmodulin-dependent protein kinase II signaling in SK-N-SH neuronal cells, as previously found with sera from SC and related neuropsychiatric disorders. Our new animal model translates directly to human disease and led us to discover autoantibodies targeted against dopamine D1 and D2 receptors in the rat model as well as in SC and other streptococcal-related neuropsychiatric disorders.Neuropsychopharmacology advance online publication, 25 April 2012; doi:10.1038/npp.2012.56.

PMID: 22534626 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

http://pandasnetwork.org/2012/04/tel-aviv-study-published/

Edited by Vickie

I have only read the abstract which I find interesting--but one statement of which I find concerning ???

Should we be concerned, as this seems misleading, and False.

* from the abstract: "These symptoms were alleviated by the D2 blocker haloperidol and the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor paroxetine, respectively, drugs that are used to treat motor symptoms and compulsions in streptococcal-related neuropsychiatric disorders. "

If they leave it at this in the actual article; there could be a lot of confusion.

I hope parents also read the articles on the difficulty PANDAS, PANS children can have with psych meds.!~!!

HOW could they claim that "haloperidol and paroxetine,(are) drugs used to treat "streptococcal-related neuropsych. disorders!!!"

DO they mention--antibiotics, steroids, IVIG, pheresis? NIH, YALE or elsewhere that these are being used???

Edited by T.Mom

The article is $32!

http://www.nature.com/npp/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/npp201256a.html#news-landing-form

It says it is available through your local library. I'm going to try to track it down that way.

It seems to only be available to the public as the abstract. I am going to see if I can purchase it somewhere. If I do, I'll let you know.

Edited by Vickie