ACN Latitudes Forums

Should I let DD go on a class trip to nature center - in the woods?

A good friend gave me this analogy recently when I was trying to decide whether to send my son on his school outdoor education trip. Walking in a parking lot, there is always a risk of getting hit by a car but walking across a busy street dramatically increases that chance. So yes, my son can get bit by a tick just playing baseball or hanging in the backyard but putting him outside in a wooded area for two days dramatically increases his risk. Also, I know the tick checks won't be done like we do at home (I wouldn't expect a 12 year old boy to allow his teacher to do such a thorough check!). My son is enjoying his first year of having a clear head and actually being able to retain school lessons, so he's okay not going. It helps that another boy is staying home due to outdoor allergies. He and I will do something special those two days. He will be fine and I won't have to lose more sleep wondering if he got bitten and waiting for the dreaded symptoms.

Thanks! This was helpful! I already use those types of products on my dog and even the cats despite the fact that they are inside only.

We do not allow the dog on furniture, and you have just assured me I am not paranoid by wanting to have the yard sprayed. I may look into my natural or less toxic options, but I am going to make sure the yard is safer for us this summer and when taking the dog out.

For the most part, this guy was very non-toxic, EXCEPT when it comes to ticks. He recommends spraying your yard (at least perimeter) three times a year (mid May, mid June, and October). I think he mentioned pyrethoid- not sure about pets though. He said in 2013 & 2014 (developing now) there will be some great non-toxic property sprays for ticks. He showed some pictures of high risk properties (I think one was my house - :( ) with heavily landscaped areas of ground covers, perennials, bushy shrubs. I need to do a good clean up and thinning out. He said to absolutely never pile your kids up with leaves (old time favorite).

I don't usually drink - but I had one last night.

Best suprise of the meeting - I got to meet an old (doesn't post anymore) forum gal - kmom!

Very cool that you got to meet an old forum gal!!

You may have just given me the push to purchase a groupon that ironically fell into my email box 2 days ago for yard spraying for mosquitos and ticks! It was cheap, like $35. I should just have them do it, whatever they use!

I'm wary about chemicals on the yard, since those eventually get into the drinking water and/or onto my kids and do other harmful things like disrupt hormones (which is part of what makes us react to the Lyme in the first place!)

I'm going to spread diatomaceous earth over parts of the yard where the kids and dog play, as well as the perimeter of the house. There are lots of homemade tick repellants out there w/tea tree oil, as well as tea tree shampoo.

We aren't sure if we want to use Frontline on the dog yet or not (we just rescued a new puppy too- a tough decision, but I believe, a good one for everyone's MENTAL health!!) I have a groomer friend who washed/sprayed him with organic repellant and swears it works. I bought some more to use myself, and it's safe for humans as well.

I think it's a balance, and a tough one.

I'm wary about chemicals on the yard, since those eventually get into the drinking water and/or onto my kids and do other harmful things like disrupt hormones (which is part of what makes us react to the Lyme in the first place!)

I'm going to spread diatomaceous earth over parts of the yard where the kids and dog play, as well as the perimeter of the house. There are lots of homemade tick repellants out there w/tea tree oil, as well as tea tree shampoo.

We aren't sure if we want to use Frontline on the dog yet or not (we just rescued a new puppy too- a tough decision, but I believe, a good one for everyone's MENTAL health!!) I have a groomer friend who washed/sprayed him with organic repellant and swears it works. I bought some more to use myself, and it's safe for humans as well.

I think it's a balance, and a tough one.

I totally feel your concerns. I'm an organic girl myself. I even wash off my organic produce in veggie wash. LOL.

I HATED the idea of putting pesticides on my pets and have never sprayed our yard for anything for the reason you mentioned...seeping into the ground. I do use the frontline, etc. on my pets during the warmer months which winds up being only about 4-5 months a year here. We already use tea tree shampoo -- and soaps. Is diatomaceous earth confirmed to be able to kill ticks? I got that recommendation from someone else and would much rather use that but want to be sure it's effective.

Edited by fightingmom

I wanted to share the conversation I had with my son's LLMD this afternoon. My son was a cub scout and wants to continue with Boy Scouts. They have a week long "sleep-away" camp in June and I have been really torn as to whether I should let him go, or face his (and possibly my husband's) loud protests, and make him skip it. We are in CA, so not as bad as the east coast, but its definitely out there. I read this thread and was still feeling torn. I want him to have these fantastic experiences that develop friendships, responsibility and independence, but of course I don't want him to end up more debilitated than he already has been. I asked our LLMD what he recommends, fully expecting him to say, "no way, don't send him." But he surprised me and said he thinks its really important for the development of kids this age (12) to have experiences like sleep-away camp. He went on to give me a laundry list of what we need to do to protect him (all tick-protective clothing, coach him on tucking in socks/always wearing a hat, use a 30% deet product and see if we can enlist an adult at the camp to make sure he puts it on each day, etc. We are not currently giving him meds to treat Lyme (borrellia) specifically, so our doc is considering ratating him to these before he leaves.

I'm not advocating either way for anyone. Everyone's circumstances are different and its a very personal decision. But I just wanted to share this because his answer really surprised me. I will probably let my son go on this campout, with all the precautions in place, but I'm sure I will not enjoy that week as much as I would if I were ignorant of the risks.

My mom used to give it to her dog. I had never heard of Frontline until I was an adult with my own dog, I'm curious about how effective garlic is or isn't on ticks. Are there any studies?

I keep reading about garlic and garlic spraying of yards to repel ticks and mosquitos...

My mom used to give it to her dog. I had never heard of Frontline until I was an adult with my own dog, I'm curious about how effective garlic is or isn't on ticks. Are there any studies?

I keep reading about garlic and garlic spraying of yards to repel ticks and mosquitos...

Not sure if there are any studies, I have used it before to ward off fleas and we didn't get fleas -- but that could be coincidence. Don't use it on cats though, could be toxic -- onions are lethal, garlic may or may not be the same I haven't checked lately and can't remember. Maybe for dogs in high doses too.

Man, I am exhausted just thinking about all the precautions I need to take. What a mistake moving to the East Coast!!! Wh

Lilly - I joked with LLMD that we would have been better off staying in concrete jungle than moving to the suburbs. Seriously thinking if we should consider moving, then I remembered that visiting friends in Arizona we were warned to be careful in back yard for snakes and venemous spiders, and I was worried about DD playing on rocks that were regularly sprayed to keep snakes and spiders out. So am now trying to find a balance in everything, and checking for ticks - along with looking into tea tree shampoo for the kids.