ACN Latitudes Forums

LabCorp Ig: flagged results question

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure low results on LabCorp immunoglobulin testing means the result was -2 SDs from the mean-- or for insurance purposes was "2 or more SDs from the mean." But, I'm looking through the notes in our most recent coverage denial/appeal case and the "doctor" who reviewed it on the insurer's end said her results were not 2 or more standard deviations below mean-- but they were clearly flagged/marked low on the set of labs that were sent. I don't know if he made a mistake or misread the labs-- or if I am confused about the flagged low values indicating they are at least -2 SDs?

Anyone know the answer to that?

And yes, we are there again already w/ our insurance and :o will I have some stories, info, and new tips to share once we're through...

TIA!

Hi all,

I'm pretty sure low results on LabCorp immunoglobulin testing means the result was -2 SDs from the mean-- or for insurance purposes was "2 or more SDs from the mean." But, I'm looking through the notes in our most recent coverage denial/appeal case and the "doctor" who reviewed it on the insurer's end said her results were not 2 or more standard deviations below mean-- but they were clearly flagged/marked low on the set of labs that were sent. I don't know if he made a mistake or misread the labs-- or if I am confused about the flagged low values indicating they are at least -2 SDs?

And yes, we are there again already w/ our insurance and :o will I have some stories, info, and new tips to share once we're through...

TIA!

What I've seen on LabCorp, and any lab where we've had tests done is anything out of range is flagged, so just a little high or a little low would be flagged, as would any seriously out of range results.

Right, but what I'm wondering is if "out of range" would be the values that are 2 SDs+ from the mean-- or if the range is defined by the values that fall within 2 SDs of the mean in either direction?

Otherwise, wouldn't it be hard for a Dr to determine SDs-- esp w/o the background info about the data set the lab used to establish the range? Or am I missing something? It has been quite some time since I've had to do that sort of math!

:)

Hi all,

TIA!

I don't know if it is -2SD. It could be -1SD as -1 to +1 are generally considered "normal" range for tests. -1 to -2 are frequently considered "at risk" and -2 a definite problem. So... your results may still be open to interpretation. Just a thought.