ACN Latitudes Forums

Clostridia/Probiotics Question

doctor suspects clostridia is back. he was going to start her on vancomycen, and said to start the vanco, and after we make room in her gut we can add in probiotics. now- we are not starting the vanco until after he tests for the clostridia, to make sure she has it. my question is....is it bad to start the probiotics b4 he starts the vancomycen? i thought we should, especially since she is on antibiotics too. can i have your opinion please? thanks

I don't know about starting before or after vanco but Saccromyces boullardi, a good yeast, is known to kill clostridia and I would give him S.boullardi, in addition to any of the other probiotics. I use Florastor for S boullardi.

Florastor has lactose in it, so anyone who has lactose intolerance, needs to be aware of that. Also, I found less expensive S. Boullardi at Vitamin Shoppe. We use Jarrow. Additionally, there's no question you should be using probiotics. Our LLMD insists that we use a 2nd probiotic as well. BTW, if there is c-diff, you need to stop the other abx until it is cleared. We used probiotics the whole time DS (who's had c-diff multiple times), but as always, we space it preferably 3 hours away from antibiotics.

I would listen to your doctor. Ask why he wants you to wait until after the Vancomycin, or does he just want you to dose the abx far away from the probiotics. It sounds like he doesn't want anything to interfere with the Vancomycin.

By the way, some doctors don't put faith in the clostridia tests. Not saying I agree, but some will only treat if you have a c-diff infection as opposed to high clostridia (ex- Great Plains lab).

he said he wants the vanco. to start working and then add the probiotics in. only thing is she is on antibiotics for lyme/bartonells and dr.j. said put her on probioitics. now i am hearing that she should not be on abx. for lyme if she is on vanco. for clostridia. nobody ever tells me this. what kind of doctor do you go to that watches over what you do???

he said he wants the vanco. to start working and then add the probiotics in. only thing is she is on antibiotics for lyme/bartonells and dr.j. said put her on probioitics. now i am hearing that she should not be on abx. for lyme if she is on vanco. for clostridia. nobody ever tells me this. what kind of doctor do you go to that watches over what you do???

Hi Lily- I'm sorry for everything you're dealing with right now. It does get confusing with all the different protocols. Is Dr. J the one that is testing for clostridia and recommending the vancomycin? Or, are you working with two diffent doctors? Yes, I believe probiotics are extremely important while on antibiotics (my dd had c-diff in the past), but maybe the doctor who requested you to wait until after the Vancomycin has a good reason. If I recall, your daughter REALLY herxs to supplements (including probiotics) and abx. Maybe he/her is being cautious regarding the herx, and feels it is very important that she receives Vancomycin with causing a huge herxmeirer (sp?) reaction - and then wants to slowly add probiotics. just a thought.

edit- when are you testing for the clostridia?

Edited by philamom

i am going to try the florastore to help with clostridia but i am afraid it will worsen her already horrible constipation.

We use Florastor and don't have any issues with it, but maybe you could have her drink 4-6 oz. of fluid with it. It may cause some gas the first couple of days. If you purchase the Florastor for kids - they are packets, and you could start with 1/2 packet. Unfortunately, I think it's a little more expensive than the capsules- because the box of packets is for less amount of days.

Also, I just picked up a bottle of "Georges" Aloe Vera juice. I heard it helps with constipation. I purchased it for myself because I have severe constipation issues (IBS). It is clear/tasteless - I'll let you know if it helps. It was nine dollars at Whole Fields.

we are seeing dr.j. in coneticut for lyme/bart. And we see S.S. in Iselin NJ for clostridia stuff.

yes she reacts horribly to the stuff we try. not sure its herxing in our case. she goes wild with benydryll, magnesium etc...thanks so much for replying.

That makes more sense. I don't think Dr. J will treat clostridia unless it's shown in the stool. I feel for you and understand completely about the herxing. My daughter used to herx to every single vit/supp/benadryl- u name it (though not as bad as your dd), but not as much anymore. But, I still need to up her detox -so I get it.

When is Dr. S running the test for clostridia? If it's just a few days, then I would follow his instructions. He probably wants to be certain about the clostridia, being that Vanomycin is a last resort of treatment (no abx stronger to fight it).

You have two great doctors - unfortunately, with different protocols.

Thinking of you.

i am going to try the florastore to help with clostridia but i am afraid it will worsen her already horrible constipation.

We use Florastor and don't have any issues with it, but maybe you could have her drink 4-6 oz. of fluid with it. It may cause some gas the first couple of days. If you purchase the Florastor for kids - they are packets, and you could start with 1/2 packet. Unfortunately, I think it's a little more expensive than the capsules- because the box of packets is for less amount of days.

Also, I just picked up a bottle of "Georges" Aloe Vera juice. I heard it helps with constipation. I purchased it for myself because I have severe constipation issues (IBS). It is clear/tasteless - I'll let you know if it helps. It was nine dollars at Whole Fields.

Edited by tpotter

doctor jones never tested stool. Dr. S. would start the vanco. right now, but i suggested we test first, since last time we tried vanco. she had a horrible time. you say vanco is last resort for clostridia??? would florastore be something we could try first??? it would be a lot cheaper and i think she may be able to tolerate it more>>>

I think you should ask Scott. Vanco is the strongest antibiotic treatment (that I'm aware of) to conquer c-diff, and usually used when Flagyl has failed. But, if you have high c-diff you need to treat it. Probiotics only help to replace good flora (also very imp.)

Some doctors will treat with flagyl/vanco for high levels of clostridia in a urine or stool test from Great Plains, exc.

Some doctors will only treat with flagyl/vanco if you have a c-diff infection from Quest, exc, and/or GI symptoms to correlate.

I can't understand why Scott would object to adding in some Florastor or Culturelle - it doesn't interfere with the test, I don't think. Is it the OAT test? I would call and ask him.

Edited by philamom

• 10 months later...

I am getting confused by all the different screen names.

For constipation, my favorite is:

Oxy Powder Capsules

2-3 before bedtime. It was also highly recommended by our former famous DAN! Dr.

You HAVE to get the bowels moving.

All the infections and toxins are backing up back into the body.

I love Oxy Powder capsules.