ACN Latitudes Forums

Augmentin 1 time a day higher dose or 2 times a day lower dose...

Thanks guys. Good to know, I made the right choice. I split the dose. I have 30 days of it and a refill....I just hope I can get him past day 7 of this Augmentin without any return of symptoms.

Would any of you have any idea why we have been through two antibiotics, Amoxicillin and then Keflex and with both, they worked for 7 days and then day 8, while STILL TAKING THE DOSES, I would start to see the original symptoms creeping back in. Then we switch to new antibiotic.

So we have done zpack 5 days. Didn't address strep at all. Then Amoxicillin, stopped working Day 8. Then Keflex stopped working Day 8. I will say that the zithromax 250 mg seems to be immunomodulating well. I am thankful. We just haven't yet found the magic on killing the strep.

I assume that the strep keeps finding a way to beat the antibiotic..........could there be any other reason?

Thanks, Kim

Kim --

It may not be that the strep is breaking through antibiotic after antibiotic. It may be, though, that after his immune system initially calms somewhat as the abx makes itself known, hence granting you that 7-day respite in behaviors, that, for whatever reason, things get riled up again after the "honeymoon" period. Some of us who've been through similar experiences refer to that as a "sawtoothed" pattern of healing.

In our case, our DS would improve dramatically on the first 10 days of abx and then plateau . . . not decline exactly, but the trajectory of behavioral improvement would stall out. On at least three occassions, we would then cease the abx, thinking that they'd done all they could to help him, only to see a real regression in terms of his behavioral health within 8 to 10 days of ceasing the abx.

We're a little slow to catch on ( <_< ), so it took us several runs to finally "get it right". Finally, we kept him on the antibiotics . . . through the 10 days of dramatic gains, through the next couple of weeks of plateau, and then ultimately through subsequent weeks of slower, but still perceptible behavioral gains. In the end, we had him on abx for two years before we were finally able to wean him off, slowly, without any substantial regressions as a result.

Why? Don't know, unfortunately. Perhaps his immune system needed steady, sustained assistance to recognize that it was no longer being threatened and stop producing massive amounts of antibodies. Perhaps he had some intracellular strep going on and it took long, sustained intervention to kill it all as it burst free of its biofilms and tried to make trouble. Perhaps he needed to have the antibiotics helping him while his blood brain barrier repaired its permeability sufficiently to prevent the antibodies from getting through to the basal ganglia and it was all just a way of buying the needed time.

I'm certainly looking forward to the day when the researchers/doctors have more answers than they do questions on this topic!

Edited by MomWithOCDSon

Nancy,

I have decided that if Augmentin isn't going to take down the returning strep symptoms, not much will. Might be a case of where you just have to stay the course now. Another part of the puzzle. I will keep him on the Augmentin paying special attention to making sure I am faithful on keeping probitiotics in him.

Next, I am going to try and address the elevated IgE and histamine. Obviously some of the "symptoms" (which acutally are behaviors since there was no fever)are related to the strep....but how much might be related to the elevated histamine.

Also, another part of the puzzle I am trying to figure out is why does it seem that when the strep seems to be regaining strength, he also looks like he has horrible allergies. I guess all immune related.

Someone else on this board was trying to put the histamine piece with the strep and methylation.

So that is my plan....Continue Augmentin even if symptoms don't completely stay away as they did up until day 7 in two antibiotics, continue zithromycin and then see what the ketotifen orally does for reducing histamine. For now I chose the ketotifen to try rather than the singulair. I read that Ketotifen can address asthma, food allergies/leaky gut/ and also I read that it blocks TNF alpha. I have read that kids with autism (not PANDAS) are having success with it and I read that alot of kids have had trouble with the Singulair. So I hope a slow trial of Ketotifen is a good decision.

Nancy,

I have decided that if Augmentin isn't going to take down the returning strep symptoms, not much will. Might be a case of where you just have to stay the course now. Another part of the puzzle. I will keep him on the Augmentin paying special attention to making sure I am faithful on keeping probitiotics in him.

Next, I am going to try and address the elevated IgE and histamine. Obviously some of the "symptoms" (which acutally are behaviors since there was no fever)are related to the strep....but how much might be related to the elevated histamine.

Also, another part of the puzzle I am trying to figure out is why does it seem that when the strep seems to be regaining strength, he also looks like he has horrible allergies. I guess all immune related.

Someone else on this board was trying to put the histamine piece with the strep and methylation.

So that is my plan....Continue Augmentin even if symptoms don't completely stay away as they did up until day 7 in two antibiotics, continue zithromycin and then see what the ketotifen orally does for reducing histamine. For now I chose the ketotifen to try rather than the singulair. I read that Ketotifen can address asthma, food allergies/leaky gut/ and also I read that it blocks TNF alpha. I have read that kids with autism (not PANDAS) are having success with it and I read that alot of kids have had trouble with the Singulair. So I hope a slow trial of Ketotifen is a good decision.

Hmm, makes you wonder if the strep is in the nose or something...maybe that would account for strep showing in labs, but presenting like allergies. Though, we too are dealing with high histamine, I really think it's more due to the methylation thing and don't believe we have true allergies. We are going through our 2nd round of allergy testing over the years and so far everything is negative for both of us, except I have an allergy to dust mites. Otherwise, nada. There is a big connection with inflammation/high histamine, neurotransmitters, etc. and it seems to all circle back to methylation. I need to really get this worked out.

I'm working on protecting his gut, trying to keep inflammation at bay, addressing any vitamin deficiencies and going to test for the MTHFR and see how we can explore oxidative stress issues. I think unlocking this will be a big key. What order to address it in, seems to be the biggest conundrum.

Hang in there, I feel your pain. And, as you mentioned in the other post, it is interesting we are seeing consistent patterns/cycles and more success with the zithromax.