ACN Latitudes Forums

Handwriting Changes

I am just curious about this as most of the public awareness campaigns show handwriting changes before exacerbation and after with dramatic changes. I definitely see this in my ds11 during a flare but it is now graying over time.

We did not know he had PANDAS/PANS until age 10 and while I do see changes in handwriting during an exacerbation-- his overall handwriting/fine motor skills have also seemed to remain an a generally lower level than in previous years. Age 8 and below, he was drawing detailed pictures and had very nice penmanship. Now, his drawings are far less detailed and his overall ability to cut with scissors, color a picture or write legibly are sub par! Not that an 11 year old has to cut and color that often-- but his penmanship is pretty dismal too.

In a flare-- his fine motor skills are AWFUL!!!--. But while not in a flare-- they're still bad. So I guess I wonder this means he's always mildly affected. We have not treated with IVIG yet. Does this steady decline indicate that he is always dealing with some level of inflammation? Or is it that he's developed bad habits that are just now staying with him.

My son 16 has horrible handwriting all the time. We believe he has had PANDAS since infancy. He started out with normal handwriting in kindergarten and it progressed normally for a couple of years. Sometime in the first few years it went down hill and never recovered. At the time we did not know he had PANDAS and did not pay any attention to his writing just figured he had bad hand writing. When PANDAS is bad he writes like a first grader and when he is better it looks like a third grader. I dont think there is any hope I feel he has been writing like this for too long and thats all he knows. Thank goodness for computers and as they get older school requires less writing.

I am just curious about this as most of the public awareness campaigns show handwriting changes before exacerbation and after with dramatic changes. I definitely see this in my ds11 during a flare but it is now graying over time.

We did not know he had PANDAS/PANS until age 10 and while I do see changes in handwriting during an exacerbation-- his overall handwriting/fine motor skills have also seemed to remain an a generally lower level than in previous years. Age 8 and below, he was drawing detailed pictures and had very nice penmanship. Now, his drawings are far less detailed and his overall ability to cut with scissors, color a picture or write legibly are sub par! Not that an 11 year old has to cut and color that often-- but his penmanship is pretty dismal too.

In a flare-- his fine motor skills are AWFUL!!!--. But while not in a flare-- they're still bad. So I guess I wonder this means he's always mildly affected. We have not treated with IVIG yet. Does this steady decline indicate that he is always dealing with some level of inflammation? Or is it that he's developed bad habits that are just now staying with him.

we definitely noticed a change. My son is in thrid grade and they have to do cursive handwriting and it got so bad he said he did not know how to do it anymore. His printing was horrible. Before all this happened, his handwriting was very nice.

He has been on an antibiotic for a month now and his cursive is back and looks good again. Now to me, that is proof that the antibiotics really do something. This was also one of the major factors that led my husband and I to beleive that he has PANDAS.

Linda

My DS15 has had PANS most of his life but has only been actively treated for 2 years. His handwriting became very bad with each exacerbation and gradually got better, but never returned to baseline - so with each illness it became less and less legible. He has now had IVIG for 14 months. He just commented a few weeks ago that he is ENJOYING drawing and asked if he could take an art class! His math papers actually look like the numbers are in some sort of line. The handwriting still looks like an elementary school child, but it is legible.

We see this too when he is having a flare. THis is a great link.http://www.nxtbook.com/nxtbooks/aota/otpractice_vol16issue20/index.php#/16

LMK if you cannot find it. I found it to be one of the best link on PANDAS especially if your child has OT. I have given this article to many educators and professionals in the SPED field. I also noted that after IVIG my son's coordination changed dramatically. There was no other explanation for this. Check out this article!!!