ACN Latitudes Forums

can my pandas kids get teeth cleaning

We are in the midst of figuring things out with dd, but she got her teeth cleaned for the first time on March 28 at 8:30 am - by early afternoon, she was running a fever and everything fell apart for a few weeks.... Could have also been coincidence though....

The docs want to put her on additional abx before & after all dentists visits in the future just in case (none of them even talk about PANDAS/PITANDS at this point, all they know is that abx helped with symptom control in past exposure to illness - I'm hoping Dr. K can help us out in consulting to help them understand her immune system & get to the root of the issue instead of symptom management)

We had an experience like junkyardjean - cleaning was followed by a fever and exacerbation of symptoms. He had a cavity that needed to be filled a few weeks later and again followed with a fever and a REALLY bad exacerbation that began with 6 hours of non-stop screaming and losing his voice. That was before he was on antibiotics. He's had 2 cleanings since being on antibiotics, and we haven't had that problem. But maybe it was just because of the cavity? IDK.

It's a tough call! I would do the cleaning because if they get a cavity things get worse. But that's just our experience. I understand wanting to hold off when things are going well - don't want to rock the boat!

Can you get antibiotics for before and after the cleaning, as a precaution?

I have no idea, but my son was only on prophylactic amoxicillin for his second cleaning and everything was okay. I don't know if it was the antibiotics that made the difference, or if it was okay because he didn't have a cavity. I suspect the first time around that the cavity/infection was an opening to his bloodstream, and when they messed around in his mouth all the bacteria in there were able to get into his bloodstream. But I'm just speculating. I really don't know.

My daughter would always flare with dentist cleanings. I agree with increasing or adding a second anitibiotic for few days before and/or after. Request a light cleaning (they don't really need to scape and floss that hard). It would be best to avoid cavities and further dental work. I've noticed the flares aren't as bad for my daughter lately - maybe the IVIG, or maybe her immune system is not over-reacting as much. Supplements/drugs that used to give us the opposite effect (ex-benadryl) are no longer.

also- use mouthwash with xylitol before & after. I also remember someone posting another mouthwash (maybe RX) that helps with the bacteria. Maybe someone will post the name of it.

Edited by philamom

We are currently dealing with an unknown gum infection. Not yeast. Not the herpes virus...been going on for a few weeks - and DS has been have bit of flair from this. He would also flair with new teeth.

I'd try to speak with the dentist first and let them know about your concerns over bacteria in the mouth, plaque entering your child's system through either irritation or even ingestion, ask them for an ispection, and VERY mild cleaning or scraping with alot of suction to remove the plaque.

Bump your antibiotics, and I'd also do some advil just before and for a day or so after to keep the inflamation down - and hopefully close the BBB when and if those bacteria set off a little immune reaction.

I also don't do flouride, and won't take him if he was in an exacerbation or flair unless I thought there was a problem.

Could the stress of being in the dentist chair be enough to cause a flare-up? As opposed to something the dentist or hygenist actually did?

I think for my DS this could be true-he is so bothered by dentist visits. He just went in for a cleaning this week. I did not want to do it, but being on ABX for 4 mos along with major sensory issues with toothbrushing made it really needed. His teeth were so discolored. I put him back on Augmentin just in case, but I explained PANDAS to the hygienist and dentist and provided them with the report from Dr. M and an article from IOCDF.. They were so careful and slow with him and really helped me to keep the stress level down. So far so good!!