ACN Latitudes Forums

Spinning in circles

mar

This is one thing I always wondered about. It always caught my attention. Ds used to do this at three or four. I then noticed dd would do it around the same age. I would tell them to stop b/c I knew they would fall to the floor from being dizzy. They would always say that it feels good. Ds who will be ten next month will do this once in a while still. When dd sees it she will do it. Has anyone seen this behavior?

This is one thing I always wondered about. It always caught my attention. Ds used to do this at three or four. I then noticed dd would do it around the same age. I would tell them to stop b/c I knew they would fall to the floor from being dizzy. They would always say that it feels good. Ds who will be ten next month will do this once in a while still. When dd sees it she will do it. Has anyone seen this behavior?

My DD used to spin in circles when she was younger. For her, it was a sensory issue. She could spin and spin and never get dizzy! She received occupational therapy for sensory integration disorder. She is 11 now and no longer has any sensory issues.

Amy

I guess this would go along with it. When ds was 7 during all the crazyness he didn't like tags and would not wear jeans. He had gotten so much better with that but then dd started and will not wear jeans. She just turned 7 and has not worn jeans in over a year ( thank goodness for leggings and skirts). Weird thing when I tell ds that he wouldn't wear jeans he can't remember. I do b/c bought him several pairs that were barely used. he wears them now without a problem but questions his sister like she is crazy. DH is the same way. I have always noticed that things bother him. Do you really think therapy would make a big difference? Like I mentioned ds has gotten better with clothes but still spins once on awhile.

What does the therapy involve? Crazy but DH thinks I am insane with all the things I bring up even though he has the same issues. He thinks I am insane with all my beliefs. Has anyone had a DH who thinks you are going to deep? I feel like everything I talk to him about just makes him mad. I know he hates to hear it but who am I supposed to talk to? Very frustrating? He acts like nothing is wrong and I am just finding crap to annoy him. He is very hard to talk to. How do others deal with this?

When my kids spin they do get dizzy. Ds has crashed to the ground before and that scares me b/c i don't want him to bang his head. they would both look at me during these times with their eyes crossed and say it feels good. I have been reading up on sid and it is very interesting. I truly believe this sounds like my kids. They are 10 and 7 now. I am just wondering if therapy truly will help. We have crazy insurance so I don't think it would be covered. I was just wondering if it's worth the expense. If it really helps.

You may want to inquire on whether your insurance covers it Mar

It was worth it to us to have some sessions with an OT who specialized in SID

After that, we continued on our own using what she had taught us and what is in the Out of Sync book

It really helped a lot IMO

I am on amazon to order the " out of sync child". They also have "the out the sync child has fun" , should I get both? Are they completely different? I would like to get this ordered asap if anyone knows about the second book.

Thanks!!