ACN Latitudes Forums

desperate plee for help from new member, mom in dispair

BakerS

Hi everyone,

I am so glad I came upon this site. I am a mom with a year old little boy. Suddenly 3 weeks ago he started to make a strange sound in his throat (like clearing it) and now he has started 2 motor ticks, a blinking eye one and his shoulders. He is very distressed by this, as of course are we as his parents. I am a mess right now, and not sure in what direction to even begin to turn.

There is so much advise on this site, I actually don't know where to even begin! Took him to the peed and they recommended a full assessment. But I am in a complete panic that my child now has TS. We have no history of this in any of our families. He does have a potential ADHD issue, and I think definitely uderlying self esteem/stress issue due to this.

Please anyone - can you email me your stories, or send me your email address so I can find someone to talk to!

Please.

Mom in distress

Hi and welcome :)

I just want to reassure you that most often tics in young children are what are known as "transient" and go away as quickly as they appeared.

My personal opinion is that Tourette Syndrome is usually not the correct diagnosis unless there is a family history, so there is likely another cause for your child's tics.

Has he had recent vaccinations? any Strep or other infections?

Have you had any new carpeting or woodwork done in the home? New car?

Is he displaying the tics more after eating certain foods? or other activities?

All these can be clues in what may be causing the tics

We have some helpful threads that may be able to guide you

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2459

Hi everyone,

I am so glad I came upon this site. I am a mom with a year old little boy. Suddenly 3 weeks ago he started to make a strange sound in his throat (like clearing it) and now he has started 2 motor ticks, a blinking eye one and his shoulders. He is very distressed by this, as of course are we as his parents. I am a mess right now, and not sure in what direction to even begin to turn.

There is so much advise on this site, I actually don't know where to even begin! Took him to the peed and they recommended a full assessment. But I am in a complete panic that my child now has TS. We have no history of this in any of our families. He does have a potential ADHD issue, and I think definitely uderlying self esteem/stress issue due to this.

Please anyone - can you email me your stories, or send me your email address so I can find someone to talk to!

Please.

Mom in distress

Hang in there! So many of us can empathize and remember that first panic when hearing "Tourettes". I agree with Chemar that finding potential triggers is an important first step. My experience is that foods are HUGE! We're off gluten, soy and dairy (this was done in combination with blood tests to determine sensitivities and our own experimentation); biofeedback and chiropractic visits are also part of our treatments.

I know it's overwhelming, but know you have support here!

Eve

Hi and welcome :)

I just want to reassure you that most often tics in young children are what are known as "transient" and go away as quickly as they appeared.

My personal opinion is that Tourette Syndrome is usually not the correct diagnosis unless there is a family history, so there is likely another cause for your child's tics.

Has he had recent vaccinations? any Strep or other infections?

Have you had any new carpeting or woodwork done in the home? New car?

Is he displaying the tics more after eating certain foods? or other activities?

All these can be clues in what may be causing the tics

We have some helpful threads that may be able to guide you

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2459

Thank you so much for your reply. I cannot tell you how much it means to me. Firstly we are in a new house, but we have been here for a year already and nothing has changed. The wood floors and carpets were laid a year ago. no vaccinations.

My big worry (from the internet) is the fact that he has motor and vocal tics - can that be just tics without being TS? Also do tics last for the rest of their lives, or does it generally go away with time? He is doing the tics all the time. The main ones is the sound (he does it more when he eats). His shrugs his shoulders, I think he is trying to hide it which makes it look a bit odder. He also does something with his eye and then it is like he pinches his bum together. Sometimes he does all of them at the same time. Sometimes one is worse than the other. But being going on for 3 weeks. I honestly don't know where to begin?

Does your child have this?

The worse part for me is that 3 weeks ago Callum was just a normal everyday boy - and now I am watching my poor little boy doign this all the time and I have no way to help him.

Please .... I would love to maybe chat via phone. Where do you live? I am in South Africa.

One thing I just though of, this did co-inside with some work we getting done on our garden, including a new wooden climbing frame? But surely that could not have an effect?

Look forward to hear back, and thank you so much from bottom of my hard for takign time to reply!!

I replied to your private message with more details...

but just for the benefit of others reading want to mention again that some wood is treated with arsenic and arsenic is a neurotoxin and so may trigger tics!

here is that article too about transient tics...hope it reassures :)

http://blog.oregonlive.com/themombeat/2011/09/when_it_comes_to_childhood_tic.html

• 3 weeks later...

Hi BakerS

Your story is very similar to mine. This is my first post on here and I too am so glad I have found this forum. My son is 6 now but started tics when he was 5. We do live in a new home as well and i'm almost 100% convinced it's our home. My husband and I have been through worry, and tears over what is happening to our son. He also has motor and verbal, in fact, his verbal has shot to new heights since the beginning of April, maybe it's because he had a cold, maybe it's from his Easter chocolate, we don't know but we are determined to find the cause. I believe with all my heart that he and your son can be helped. We have no family history of TS either and I think this is environmental. I don't know if he will ever grow out of it but as his mother, I owe it to him to search to every corner of this earth for answers.

I didn't know where to start either but this is what I did. I took him to an awesome chiropractor and a naturopath. I know it's expensive but worth every penny. We got a blood test done on my son which shows an "intolerance" to gluten and he is also on antioxidants, and cod liver oil. I have also read that the increase in magnesium, B vitamins and vitamin D are important (haven't started him yet, just recently read that). My naturopath also suggested a book for me to read called Clean, Green and Lean by Dr. Walter Crinnion (Amazon) I love this book. He helps you identify not only the foods that are toxic but what is in our homes as well (some materials in our homes can off-gas for a decade or so and lets just say when I read the list of chemicals put in carpet I almost vomited). It's been very helpful so far. So far I am making my own non-toxic hand soap, laundry soap and through out all my bounce sheets, and household cleaners. I have a long way to go yet and it may get as far as ripping out the 1 1/2 year old carpets in our home.

I don't know if this has helped you at all but when I read your post my heart felt heavy. I know what your going thru, as do so many others here. I have so many questions myself and so glad I can open up to people here who are going thru the same thing.