ACN Latitudes Forums

migraine meds

Hi - only one I've tried is imitrex tablets. I don't like the feel of them.. I seem to get the laundry list of side effects.. from tight throat to neck pain, tight band on head, just feeling odd etc, so only take when got a real doozy but it does work. I find I need to take some ibuprofen about 2 hours after the imitrex to really kick it into touch.

It is supposed to only work for true migraines and when taken early on (or so dr said ) but I can also take it for headaches that come from bad neck (whiplash yrs ago) and even if they've been brewing for a couple of days.

Hey Smarty --

I've only had one classifiable migrane in my life, but it was a doozy! An "atypical migrane" that, after the halo of lights left my vision, I had symptoms that mimiced a transient ischemic attack (TIA) -- lost mobility/control of my left arm, jaw slack, could not form words in keeping with the rate at which I was thinking them, etc. After an ambulance ride to the hospital and a "million dollar work-up," they found nothing askew or even foreshadowing of stroke or anything like it. That's when two doctors determined it was an "atypical migrane."

They put me on daily low-dose aspirin, more in keeping with the whole TIA/stroke possibility than a migrane, and I added flax seed/fish oil on my own. Nothing since, and that was 8 years ago now.

You know my soft spot, though: :D

Glutamate and Migranes

Since finding this, I've added NAC to my own supplement regimen. I figure, better safe than sorry. I don't know if it would help a chronic migrane sufferer or not, but the possibility intrigues me. Especially since it's far less expensive and lacking in side effects compared with a number of the classic meds.

Allie's neurologist recommended a product called Migrelief for prevention, which is mostly magnesium w/ a few other things (feverfew and riboflavin), but, I find that she does better on just magnesium- and SuperNuThera(a Kirkman's product) multivitamin. I give a LOT of magnesium, cutting back a bit if she gets diarhrea. Also, daily 100% RDA cod liver oil (2x/day if things get bad). Allie is still on ibuprofen 24/7- I wish I could get her off but things go down hill badly if I'm even late on that. And, I find that ibuprofen works better for her than naproxen. If all that fails to prevent a migraine, we use Sumatriptan (generic imitrex) nasal spray for a rescue med and it works in about 10 minutes.

That being said, when Allie gets migraines- she's sick. If it happens more than once a week, she needs a course of clindamycin (or rifampin) and then she will be pretty much migraine free until the next flare hits. But ,even then she needs the ibuprofen and supplements to keep from getting headaches.

My neurotypical son used Maxalt with great relief. As needed. Melts on the tongue. We used Zofran ODT's for nausea and vomiting associated with migraines. Maxalt can give a flushing, hot feeling when first given- he said he never had the odd sensation. It just worked. He had pediatric migraines from age 9 to age 13. None in the last 2 years-he seems to have outgrown them which is more common for boys. Girls seem to intensify with puberty---boys go away:) Sucks to be a girl with migraines. Never had frequent migraines---about one a month or less--- but he always got relief with Maxalt when we used it. Recommended by pediatric neuro.

My dh has been a long time migraine sufferer. He experienced auras, visual disturbances, and nausea. They occurred about once a month. Through our PANS journey we have found that we are a family of mutants...that is we all have MTHFR polymorphisms. Everyone, in our family now takes B12 shots, and Thornes Methylguard plus. Interestingly, he now has not had a migraine since we began this regime in January.

...that is we all have MTHFR polymorphisms. Everyone, in our family now takes B12 shots, and Thornes Methylguard plus. Interestingly, he now has not had a migraine since we began this regime in January.

i've seen a lot of talk of this but haven't really followed. . . what is it? . . . a genetic issue? defect? lack of something? how do you test for it? is the treatment b12 or are there other theories? my neurologist is going to do some blood work -- basically just general b/c haven't had in a while -- should i ask for that to be added? is it a mainstream medical concept or more alternative/integrative? are drs thinking definite connection btwn cessastion of migraines and this treatment or coincidence?

i really see an integrative MD who i follow more his theories and treatments but had intense, recurring migraine so decided to see neurologist just to cover bases. had actually had long reprieve from migraines before this. i get aura, visual disturbance and other neurological disturbances.

The only med that worked for me was immitrex if migraine had actually gotten a foothold. I had about 2 and 1/2 years of regular migraines that would actually come during the night and wake me from sleep. Took the immitrex and could usually go to work maybe 3 or 4 hours later, although I always felt "out of my body" and somewhat hungover. The effects would last more than 24 hours. Here is the good news. I began a regular regimen of Magnesium supplementation, balanced my hormones and watch anything with MSG. I no longer get migraines! Good luck - migraines are horrid.

DH and I both suffer from migraines. Maxalt has worked really well for both of us, as long as we take it as the migraine is starting rather than after it really takes hold. DH would several migraines per week without Maxalt, but now very rarely experiences a full-blown migraine. I get one every few months, but Maxalt nips them in the bud. We haven't experienced any side effects from the Maxalt.

Yes, it is a genetic mutation. Our family stumbled onto this when our pediatrician, treating my PANDAS kid, heard that my husband had a blood clot. Blood clots are a possible indicator for the MTHFR mutation, as well as migraines. He was treated with B12 shots and methylfolate to hopefully, prevent any further clotting...the migraines leaving were a added plus! I think it is still to early to state this has "cured" his migraines, but it does seem to be a layer of integrative health that seems to be helping. We are new to this MTHFR stuff, so it is difficult for me to explain. Others have explained methylation very well on other posts here. It is a blood draw to test for mutation, and our insurance did cover the test. The website, mthfr.net has lots of information as well. I'd like to say it made PANDAS leave as well, but no such luck!