ACN Latitudes Forums

Amazing Changes

I have not been on the forum for a while but wanted to share the amazing improvements for my girl who is 10.She was diagnosed a year and half ago and went through severe pandas symptoms.Tics and anxiety was through the roof and we tried many things.Every new trial with different solutions took only the edge away but never was this child at peace.Finally one thing worked to eliminate the anxiety and tics and that was Folic acid.It took a month of daily use .400mcg once a day and all supplements stopped except multi vitamin.She has been anxiety free for 6 months with only 2 days relapse with a full blown strep infection.Five days of Zithromax and she had the anxiety for 2 of those days.This past 6months have been an amazing miracle and I wanted to share this with all of you.Remember to be patient.It took approx a month to begin to see a calm state occur.2 months after beginning she returned 100 percent to who she was prior to pandas.I hope this bring someone maybe a new solution to try.

So glad to read this. Dr. k put her on Folic acid after her lVlG which was a month ago. Hoping we see the same results. Thanks for posting this.

I hope it works.It has been the only thing that did help.We spent a lot of money on different solutions.This was the only miracle?God bless your daughter.

I have not been on the forum for a while but wanted to share the amazing improvements for my girl who is 10.She was diagnosed a year and half ago and went through severe pandas symptoms.Tics and anxiety was through the roof and we tried many things.Every new trial with different solutions took only the edge away but never was this child at peace.Finally one thing worked to eliminate the anxiety and tics and that was Folic acid.It took a month of daily use .400mcg once a day and all supplements stopped except multi vitamin.She has been anxiety free for 6 months with only 2 days relapse with a full blown strep infection.Five days of Zithromax and she had the anxiety for 2 of those days.This past 6months have been an amazing miracle and I wanted to share this with all of you.Remember to be patient.It took approx a month to begin to see a calm state occur.2 months after beginning she returned 100 percent to who she was prior to pandas.I hope this bring someone maybe a new solution to try.

Congrats, I really appreciate any suggestions and helpful ideas.. Just one question though. Did your dd tics subside with the frolic acid as well? You mentioned the anxiety but what about the tics? Because in my ds case the tics are causing quite a bit of extra anxiety in front of his friends.

Thanks

Congrats, I really appreciate any suggestions and helpful ideas.. Just one question though. Did your dd tics subside with the frolic acid as well? You mentioned the anxiety but what about the tics? Because in my ds case the tics are causing quite a bit of extra anxiety in front of his friends.

Thanks

The tics were actually the first to go.She was clearing her throat a million times a day and was embarrassed as well because it was distracting in class.Her tics disappeared with the folic acid.Her hand writing improved, her separation anxiety went, and anxiety.She has had strep again but only the anxiety returned for two days but not the tics. I hope it helps your son.Good luck

My son tested low in folic acid. I ordered a complex with folic acid, but I would be interested in knowing what you use. Why did you use 400 mg? Was that the recommended dose of the doc? The complex I ordered has 400 mg, but my son is almost 6 feet tall and 150 lbs. I've been thinking about bumping the dose a little.

Thank you so much for posting this.

Folic acid is also known as folate. The gene that helps your body process folate is your MTHFR gene. If you have a mutation in this gene (estimates are all over the board - have read 18-40% of certain populations have a mutation) - then supplementing with folate doesn't help because your body can't process it and convert it into methylfolate - the form that the body uses.

One option is to assume you have a mutation (a family history of heart disease, stroke or macular degeneration wold be a clue) and just supplement with methylfolate instead of folate.

Your other option is to have the genetic test done - any lab can do it. It cost us $10 (we had met our deductible, otherwise the cost was $50).

In either case, whenever you start to supplement, start at a low dose and build up. If you have a folate deficiency (or zinc or magnesium, etc) and you supplement, the body's conveyor belts start to work better and clear junk that's been stuck. Very very common to hear of people having short honeymoon periods when they start supplementing for a deficiency and then feeling worse. Starting slow and building up helps reduce this effect.

Princess1 - so happy to hear about your well-deserved recovery!

i haven't followed too indepthe the mthfr thing, but kept an eye on it.

ds tested normal...go figure.

but i still wonder if a little might help and there is a break down some where else do to disbiosis

i found this on the mthfr and dosing methol/niacin and goins slow like llm said

sorry if has been posted already

http://mthfr.net/methylfolate-side-effects/2012/03/01/

but if you do have a worsening it might be do to this

Consider 1 to 2 capsules of 250 mg of liposomal curcumin to help quench inflammation. If one takes methylfolate before inflammation is controlled, the methylfolate will worsen it. One may consider taking 2 capsules of Optimal Turmeric three times a day during times of inflammation.

llm you got the (posts) moves. thanks again for all your reseach.

princess...how much dose your dd weigh

Edited by Fixit

My son tested low in folic acid. I ordered a complex with folic acid, but I would be interested in knowing what you use. Why did you use 400 mg? Was that the recommended dose of the doc? The complex I ordered has 400 mg, but my son is almost 6 feet tall and 150 lbs. I've been thinking about bumping the dose a little.

Thank you so much for posting this.

My daughter weighs 90lbs but is taking 400mcg not 400 mg .We did not test for folic acid deficiency.I had read an article and thought to give it a try because of its positive effect on brain development.iI just asked the pharmacist for a daily dose and that was the 400 mcg.

Sorry for all the questions. We are all so eager for similar results. Of course what works for one might not be right for another but its so interesting to research all the leads. My ds multivit contains 400 mcg. Was yours in addition to some found in your multivit? Or did your multivit not have any?

Sorry for all the questions. We are all so eager for similar results. Of course what works for one might not be right for another but its so interesting to research all the leads. My ds multivit contains 400 mcg. Was yours in addition to some found in your multivit? Or did your multivit not have any?

My daughter also takes a multi with 400mcg in it. She is taking 400 mcg in addition to the multi.It is in a seperate tablet.