ACN Latitudes Forums

Constipation

Not sure what is constipating her, but does a probiotic usually help with this?

Not sure if she would drink this, but MILA (LifeMax brand) has tested well for my son/dh for all kinds of things, including vitamins, Omega's, cholestrol, constipation etc. This brand is one of many tested that has tested out well with muscle testing (sending another one for them to try tomorrow). Put a Tbl. in water/juice for hour and drink. If you leave longer than that it gets like jello and my son will not drink it. Now that he is willing to drink it we may be able to take him off some of his other supplements (per dr.). It is $60/bag but lasts quite a while. Considered a 'super ancient food' with all kinds of benefits.

It is my opinion, whatever that is worth, that PANDAS kids have many issues and finding a MD/ND who is well versed in lyme, as well as, or in addition to, just treating the whole body had been a great choice for us. Our dr. uses all types of prescription/supplements/homeopathic all at the same time for treatment and body support which helps ease the suffering vs. just going a few directions. It is expensive though. The auto-immune issue opens the bodies up completely to so many other things (i.e., lyme, mico, viruses, bacteria etc.) that it seems to require a community, if you will, of doctors, prescriptions, supplements, etc. to treat so that minimal side affects are allowed to happen. Our dr. told us at the first visit that if we did not do 'everything' that she recommends it will be like a table with a missing leg. We have done this and 'flare-ups' have happened along the way but they were much less than before and have been reduced over time (17 months) to a day here and there.

Your situation breaks my heart so I hope you find your way for what will work well for your dd - you can find it, but you may have to keep looking for the right doctor for treatment. Best healing wishes to your family!

P.S. Just thought of a guy who is on federal assistance and going to our doctor's office, he just goes a bit slower on treatment because he cannot afford it all at once and is doing much better and continuing to improve.

Edited by JuliaFaith

Probiotics help with gut issues but I never saw them help with my DDs constipation. For that, we use 100mg/day of magnesium glycinate. She's 7, 49lbs. An adult daily dose is 400mg. But for DD, 100mg does the trick. If we give more than that, stools get loose. She is regular for the first time ever. We also give daily probiotics, but for other reasons.

My daughter struggles with GI issues because of Lyme and co-infections. She does not get constipated as long as we keep up with the probiotics. In fact, if she gets constipated, we know to up her dose. I'm sure you will get lots of recommendations for brands, but we use VSL#3 DS (double-strength). Insurance covers part of the cost. It is a powder - we use 1/2 a packet and mix it in a small amount of grape juice. I know others on this forum and the PANDAS forum don't like using VSL because it has a form of strep in it....but my PANDAS/Lyme son uses it as well and does not have problems.

If she is taking daily antibiotics, she should be on a pretty good dose of probiotics anyway. If this doesn't help the constipation, magnesium can help. Also, if nothing else works, and you aren't already doing this, you might try a gluten-free diet. Both of these have helped our family with constipation.

• 9 months later...

Isn't magnesium suppose to be bad for our children. I read that several times. My girl always go very confused when I gave it, but that was also when she was not on the antibiotics. Perhaps I will give it antoher try. Or new chapter has some aloe pills that I may try. Probably expensive though. Have your head of vitamin C helping constipiation?

GI issues are a big challenge for my kids primarily constipation and acid reflux is the biggest issue with my youngest son whom is chronic pans/lyme. He is doing much better though after two years of multiple rotating protocols:

Product that help in rotation not all at the same time are:

Oxypowder (magnesium oxide not absorbed well will move bowels fast) don't need to use anymore but had to early on daily.

Natural Calm (magnesium citrate/combo will usually get a bm also throws some water on the fire in the brain too)

Magnesium Glycinate 200 mg (well absorbed by the body can tame down anxiety and get bowel movement)

Vitamin C 1000 mg daily (higher doses the body excretes and is antioxidant)

Georges Aloe 1 oz (more of this he complains his tummy hurts)

ABX support probiotic by Prothera 1 in the am and 1 in the pm- great multi strain probiotic that also includes sach b.

Flagyl ** major help in healing the gut. ( I am sure it is treating a lot more than just cdif).

Alka Seltzer Gold helps the alleviate the symptoms and sometimes I notice a bm will come after drinking this.

Pepcid also helps.

All the above is recommended and monitored by my sons' dr, but has shown to work for him. He is very sick kid and after two years of this nightmare rollercoaster ride, the gut has improved drastically, but I notice if I let up on the supplements because I feel he is doing well he will relapse into PaNs within two weeks.

He is dependent on so much abx and supplements...but they work.

I think if you can keep her bowels moving you will see other symptoms like mood improve. Good luck.

To keep DD11's bowels moving I use 1 tsp psyllium husk daily or every other day, a couple of hours away from other supplements/abx. We use Metamucil brand, the colourless, flavourless, smooth mixing kind. Mix in 1 cup of cold water and drink quickly before it starts forming a gel. 1 tsp of chia seeds (I use it in smoothies) also contains a good bit of soluble fiber and will help to keep the bowels moving. We have never had luck using just probiotics to get the gut moving and have used some type of soluble fiber from the start.

We have used PEG powder, AKA Polyethylene Glycol. You can get it over the counter at any drug store. Mix in water, juice, applesauce, or whatever. It pulls water into the bowel to soften the stool, so you have to make sure they are drinking adequate liquids. Our doctor gave us copies of 2 studies on the safety of this product in longer term use. Unfortunately after taking it, DS had to do a #2 at school - OCD nightmare!!! Now he refuses to take it.