ACN Latitudes Forums

back to urgent care......positive for strep again

Well, as I said, it changes hourly what my plan is for my son. I can't remember what I last shared on here. Brain is tired.

I was all set to use olive leaf and xlear......sent him to school today.

When he came home, he just looked "pained". Last night he had stuck his finger down his throat and wanted me to get in his mouth.

Then at 1145 pm, he woke couging and needed a nebulizer. This was strange as he only ever needs a neb. after a few days of a cold.

I gave it to him, he went right back to sleep also unusual. And before he went to sleep, I marched right out and gave him 1 capsule of Olive leaf.

In the morning, he seemed fine. Still having his anxiety/word triggers/ocd and adventitious movements but ate fine.

They said he did the finger in the throat at school and that was it. I said I have to know.

So I marched into urgent care and while they looked at me speaking very fast and exasperated, they probably thought I was crazy. But when the rapid test came back positive, I guess I looked a little less crazy.

he prescribed amoxicillin. I discussed options, told him about needing more, etc. For now, he gave me 10 days 500 mg two times a day. Could I be so lucky that the zith. wasn't right and the amoxicillin will take care of it all. I can dream, can't I?

Deep breathe. That is what I do, deep breathe.

Hoping that I can somehow stay ahead of the yeast and other bugs.

I am a bit scared as this is how we fell off into the autism abyss at 18 months old.......6 straight months of ear infections, 4 monthly courses of Amoxicillin and 2 monthly courses of Augmentin.

Edited by Kimflow

Hang in there!

Once you've finished the course of amox, take your DS back in for another culture; if it still comes back positive, having just come off a course of amox, they will likely prescribe something stronger. Frankly, most of us here have found best success with either zith or Augmentin.

Keep us posted!

Hi Kim flow,

I hate to be a downer, but amoxicillin actually made things worse for my son as it was almost as if he wasn't being treated at all with amoxicillin. Any chance of getting augmentin? Azith? I did this when my ped. Prescribed amoxicillin again after he had done so poorly with it in the past saying it was "standard protocol" for treating strep. Well I insisted on something stronger as I knew what a flair he had after being "non-treated" with the amox. Maybe you could call and ask...? IMHO amox. Doesn't work for my son or for myself for that matter.

Wishing you the best!

Kimflow,

My DS7 was hit by chronic strep throat at age 5 and he was on omnicef more often than off and occasionnally amoxicillin. The strep would come back within 7 to 10 days after abx ended. He finally had to have his tonsils out because he could not breathe or eat. snored at night and was clearly miserable. After tonsils came out he no longer had antibiotics because we thought it would cure the recurring strep throat (didn't know about PANDAS at the time) and that is when the most severe pandas symptoms occurred literally overnight. Azithro has been the only antibiotic to help him to date he has been on azithro for nearly 18 months now. My other DS9 found remission with PennVK. Azithro did nothing for DS9 but I stuck with it for nearly a year before another dr. switched him to PennVK.

Just letting you know if amoxicillin doesn't give your son relief and help put him in remission pursue another type of antibiotic. You can still use OLE in addition to the antibiotic just administer it away from probiotic.

Well, as I said, it changes hourly what my plan is for my son. I can't remember what I last shared on here. Brain is tired.

I was all set to use olive leaf and xlear......sent him to school today.

When he came home, he just looked "pained". Last night he had stuck his finger down his throat and wanted me to get in his mouth.

Then at 1145 pm, he woke couging and needed a nebulizer. This was strange as he only ever needs a neb. after a few days of a cold.

I gave it to him, he went right back to sleep also unusual. And before he went to sleep, I marched right out and gave him 1 capsule of Olive leaf.

In the morning, he seemed fine. Still having his anxiety/word triggers/ocd and adventitious movements but ate fine.

They said he did the finger in the throat at school and that was it. I said I have to know.

So I marched into urgent care and while they looked at me speaking very fast and exasperated, they probably thought I was crazy. But when the rapid test came back positive, I guess I looked a little less crazy.

he prescribed amoxicillin. I discussed options, told him about needing more, etc. For now, he gave me 10 days 500 mg two times a day. Could I be so lucky that the zith. wasn't right and the amoxicillin will take care of it all. I can dream, can't I?

Deep breathe. That is what I do, deep breathe.

Hoping that I can somehow stay ahead of the yeast and other bugs.

I am a bit scared as this is how we fell off into the autism abyss at 18 months old.......6 straight months of ear infections, 4 monthly courses of Amoxicillin and 2 monthly courses of Augmentin.

Amox has worked for my son. Augmentin offers a broader defense. Zith does not work as well for him - he's gotten sick twice while on zith. So I think the advice to consider a different abx if the first doesn't work is good advice. I just don't think you can say X always works and Y doesn't. Some kids seem to do well with one more than the other. But only trials of each will help you decide which works best for your own son. For now, if it were me, I'd finish the amox and have him retested.

Like others, we ended up having recurrent strep due to chronic infection (ours was in the adenoids) and needed a T&A. But cross one bridge at a time. It may be time to get on a waiting list for a Pandas doc.

well, the zithromycin gave us reduction in the separation anxiety but that is it. He also GOT adventitious while on zithro. that remain still. Also, that whole mess ...he never stuck his finger down his throat. I only had exacerbation in anxiety/ocd/sensory/tics to clue me in. We have never been through any of this before this Feb.

He started amox. last night. At bedtime, I gave him probiotic and ibuprofen and he slept through the night.

He still doesn't want to watch tv with me in the bed in the mornings which came with the "first" strep infection or maybe the zithrom. never touched the initial strep. It doesn't explain why he had that negative culture after the zithromax so it must have worked. The infection just came back????

Anyhow, this strep throat feels maybe a little different in that he has a small cough and the fact that he even "told" me that he had a sore throat with this one?? I have no idea.

Ryan has been on Augmentin before as a toddler and it made him rage for as much as a baby can rage. I later read something about it causing rise in ammonia levels for kids iwth autism. Again, this I researched years ago so don't remember the details. The info is still out there I would imagine. So based on that and then the less than magnificent response to zith, I just took the amoxicillin.

I have a DAN consult to review his bloodwork. I will pursue DAN aggressively on Thursday for some type of maintenance antibiotic. BUT WHAT ONE TO ASK FOR? WE HAVE NO IDEA IF ZITHR> REALLY WORKED. AUGMENTIN MADE HIM RAGE AS A TODDLER. WHO KNOWS IF THE AMOX.WILL DO ANYTHING.

I am on wait list for Dr. Latimer.

Kim

Have you had his immune system looked at by an immunologist? If not, a baseline of what his IgG and IgM (and all the other Ig's and subclasses is) might be helpful in trying to figure out why all the infections. He could have a mild immune deficiency, which could be related to a chronic underlying infection - or genetic - or something else.

That might help you decided which immune boosters, antibiotics or IVIG (not neccessarily High Does - for pandas treatment - could be low does for immune def.). Strep maybe the trigger, but the cause is usually deeper.