ACN Latitudes Forums

vit c and remission

I wanted to find out if others have found this. Several weeks past my youngest was exposed to pertussis/whooping cough. My oldest had this already while I was pregnant with my second. Anyway as our friends came down with this I was very worried as my DS reacts incredibly when fighting a bug/has a cold. So I started researching and found a protocol to give high dose vit c to support the immune system etc. We finally found the amount to give that did not cause bowel issues. We gave him 1,500 mg every 3 hours in a bit of OJ. He continued with all the prodromal symtoms of sore throat, runny nose, mild cough etc. As I kept with this dose the symptoms were held in check - no progression and reduction. I reduced this to 5,000 mg one day and the next he again had increased symptoms so I went back to the 7,500mg daily.

What I noticed is that he started doing things he had been unable to do for the last year: These may seem minor but if this has struck your family you may not feel that way. Anyway, he could tuck his shirt into his pants, he could use the bathroom without someone helping him(as he feared everything was dirty etc). He has minor sniffles if I reduce the C now but I am inclined to continue to see how much the brain effect can be helped with the C.

Would love to hear others experience.

Okay, this is ironic to me. Besides, ibuprofen and pepcid seeming to be the best things we've found thus far to help my son -- I have restarted a rotation of supplements that I had put on the back burner when we started antibiotics, etc. I try to rotate things (this for a few days, this for a few days, then back again), so I can gain some perspective on what may or may not be having a good/bad effect and also because I don't want to make DS take too many things at once. He's 14 and already gets annoyed with all the pills I give him. Anyway, I too, have my eye on Vitamin C right now.

I have read that vitamin c deficiency can cause inflammation and potentially open the BBB...AND that vaccine adjuvants can rapidly decrease vitamin-c.

Hi everyone!

Thank you for these helpful tips. We give ester C immune support daily 500mgs. Our pandas doc reccomended ester C, but I am not quite sure of the dosage. I do remember hearing that with vitamin C, if you take too much, it will eliminate with the urine and not damage the liver, but would like to know if that is really the case?

Thanks a bunch!

Patric, ibuprofen can be rough on the stomach and possibly liver long term. So, it's best to just give in a flair, or for a few days in a row, but it's probably not safe for long term use. I have not found any difference between brand, but I have read here that some have found a dye-free ibuprofen that I have been keeping my eyes open for, but can't remember where they said it was available. I would prefer dye free, as you just never know what little thing is going to aggravate our kids. Besides, that, I am not aware of any difference between brands of ibuprofen. I would stick to the standard dose for your child's age/weight, too. and don't exceed the recommended doses in a day. I have been doing 2x - maybe - 3x a day, but mostly twice as needed.

Edited by fightingmom

I have not gotten to the research yet on what the options are for vitamin C. I happened to have had a natural source(cassava) brand at home at the time. From my understanding very little is taken up by the body but that vit c is extremely safe. There are certainly some types that are way more bioavailable. But from what I have read so far basic ascorbate acid/vitamin c powder will be fine.

The protocol we used is a bit labour intensive and may not be necessary but if you want to figure out how much you can give your child/your child's body is using-give 250 mg every 20 min until they have loose stools(bowel tolerance). Then calculate how much you gave. Minus 250 mg and give that amount every 3 hours-during the day.

Vitamin C is apprarently one of the safest substances to take with, I believe, no known toxic upper limits. The body does pee off the excess. I think if you were really acute it would be fine to give this amount every 2 hours. The body's need of it will continue to fluxtuate so it is not exactly precise. I am now figuring out when my kids need this in abundant supply. They start presenting with bruises, sniffles etc. So I think they will tell us. And when they get enough the bruises should clear up, colds get better.

I have eased off on the vitamin c(I was away/husband away etc) but I will get back to it as our results have been profound. We started this about 7-10 days ago. My child had his first day back to school yesterday after being off 2 weeks for spring break. He used the bathroom at school for the first time in 8 months. He used to wait up to 8 hours!!! For us this very exciting.

I know that 7,500 mg seems like a lot for a 50 pound 8 year old but in his case his body seemed to be using it. From the research I have seem for therapeutic effects(cancer, infection etc) high doses are the norm.

i saw this and haven't had a chance to post...

i think i might have posted something about this in Nov, dec of2010 looking at my emails

i did this with my ds now 12 so 10 at the time and he was a bit heavier than your child..i think i may have seen an improvement but can't remember. after a month or 2 i stopped...

maybe i didn't get it high enough...i'm not sure if i got it to 6 or 9k mgs..and dont remember if that included the lipasomal..

so maybe i should recheck...'

also my son is a ticcer and maybe it will take longer for that or it works better on other paths that are tangled up????

here are some of the things i was looking at, i just copied and pasted...so maybe ignore some of the info

http://www.foodmatters.tv/_webapp_425959/NZ_Farmer_Beats_Swine_Flu_With_Vitamin_C_(60_Minutes_Report)

http://www.jaoa.org/cgi/content/full/107/6/212

http://www.anyvitamins.com/vitamin-c-ascorbicacid-info.htm

counter point…

http://www.quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/Cancer/c.html

this is from whole foods…talks about use for thyroid..whishc ds and I have…and uptake for iron…his is a little low..but not enough to suppliemnt…so maybe upping the c will help… ..he’s been on 2000mg per phone call with scott…I upped it another 1000mg yesterday afternoon….

We shall see….

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=109

I skimmed this one…..like idea of powder to mix with the nac I give anyway..and lessen pill load…aslo talks about ,

health skeptism of research coming out of mainstream med regarding supplements!!!

http://www.electroherbalism.com/Naturopathy/Therapies/Supplements/Vitamins/VitaminC/

oh here is the home page for that guy..

http://www.vitaminccancure.org/home