ACN Latitudes Forums

Swimming Pool Question

Hello Everyone,

I have a question for all those who have swimming pools...what do you use to sanitize it and have you noticed any PANDAS reactions in your kids with a certain kind of sanitizer? For years we used chlorine in our pool but switched over to Baquacil 3 years ago because the chlorine made my sons skin so dry and his eczema became almost uncontrollable. We found that the baquacil didn't really help his skin at all and was way more expensive and also difficult to keep the pool sparkling clear.

Now that we will be getting ready to open our pool again I am wondering what we should use this year. Especially with our new PANDAS diagnosis. I would love to be able to switch over to salt water or uv light sanitizing but we simply don't have the money for that. Does anyone have any insight or advice?

We have a salt system and it is much easier on the skin and hair. I know it is expensive to switch initially but you really do save money on all the chemicals. Less hassle as well. Just a thought. We buy one or two bags of salt a month about $5 each.

We have a salt system and it is much easier on the skin and hair. I know it is expensive to switch initially but you really do save money on all the chemicals. Less hassle as well. Just a thought. We buy one or two bags of salt a month about $5 each.

Wow. Only $5 or $10 a month in salt doesn't even compare to all the money I spend in chemicals. Maybe I will have to look more into this and see how long it would take for the conversion to salt to pay for itself. Thanks for pointing that out to me!

We use chlorine. I remember when I first joined this board some people commenting that their children reacted to swimming pool chemicals and worrying about it. But I can honestly say I've never noticed any pandas reaction at all.

My son has not been in my parents hot tub for over a year because we had suspected that he was getting an allergic reaction to it. Well he hopped in on Easter Sunday and we now know forsure that the skin reactions that he has had in the past have come from the hot tub. His face is covered in a rash and his eyes are swollen. My parents don't use chlorine but some other type of chemical that is suppose to be more natural.

My DS is a swimmer. Swims on a swim team during the summer and we have a pool membership and are at the pool at least four days a week all summer. Summer is the best for him and I've never noticed any relationship between the chlorinated pool and his PANDAS behaviors.

We have a pool and use the salt system. Our PANDAS dd spent 2 full summers in the water during recovery from exacerbations and IVIg and we thought the pool was most therapeutic. We can not compare it to chlorine as we have always had salt.

I do have a NON-PANDAS dd who reacts (rashes, hives, redness, eczema, etc) in every pool that is NOT salt.

My son reacted terribly to chlorine-ocd etc(for about 8 months now)-last summer. For him it was the final straw.

Anyway, we are having to avoid pools this year for healing. In my research I found that pool water can be treated with iodine/iodide and is wonderful to swim in. People tend to be fearful of iodine based on a study done in the 40's stating iodine caused thryoid issues. Apparently, the science was faulty and that is not an issue. Anyway, it is also an amazing antibiotic, antiviral, antifungal, anti parasitic. Iodine is needed by every cell in our body. It also is a chelater-removes mercury, aluminum etc.

I am currently doing a iodine protocol for myself and children.I am taking 50 mg of lugul's solution. My kids take 4 & 6 mg lugol's. Everyone tends to be deficient in this as iodine is easily displaced in the body by chlorine, flouride, & bromine(heavily used in agriculture and added to breads and pastas).

Iodine used to be a standard in all doc's offices until the 1960's. No one(pharmaceutical industry) is interested in iodine as it cannot be patented. Freely and cheaply available!