ACN Latitudes Forums

Best Supplements for Motor Tics?

What vitamins/supplements do you think are the best for motor tics? My DD7's tics are very prominent and heartbreaking right now. Her motor tics are MUCH worse than her vocal tics. We have tried several different vitamins over the past 2.5 years and at one point had her on several at once, but right now I am starting her back at square one. The only vitamins she is currently taking are 1) multivitamin 2) krill oil 3) magnesium taurate (125mg 2x a day) 4)probiotics (for tummy issues) 5) inositol. What would you recommend looking into trying next? I have heard good things about L-carnitine, but usually it's in reference to vocal tics. Does it help with motor tics? What about grape seed extract? I know Bonnie has it in her supplements, but is it helpful with tics or is it just an immune system booster? I should also mention that we have her on a very healthy diet and no dairy. Any thoughts on the next step?

Thank you in advance for your help! Hopefully we can find a vitamin regimen that works!!

What vitamins/supplements do you think are the best for motor tics? My DD7's tics are very prominent and heartbreaking right now. Her motor tics are MUCH worse than her vocal tics. We have tried several different vitamins over the past 2.5 years and at one point had her on several at once, but right now I am starting her back at square one. The only vitamins she is currently taking are 1) multivitamin 2) krill oil 3) magnesium taurate (125mg 2x a day) 4)probiotics (for tummy issues) 5) inositol. What would you recommend looking into trying next? I have heard good things about L-carnitine, but usually it's in reference to vocal tics. Does it help with motor tics? What about grape seed extract? I know Bonnie has it in her supplements, but is it helpful with tics or is it just an immune system booster? I should also mention that we have her on a very healthy diet and no dairy. Any thoughts on the next step?

Thank you in advance for your help! Hopefully we can find a vitamin regimen that works!!

Vitamin E, Coenzyme Q 10 w/turmeric Quercetin, Vitamin C all help here

Thank you for the responses! I started her on B-Complex 25, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. I used to give her B-Complex 50 mg, but with her multi vit already giving her 100% of her daily value, I didn't want to give her TOO much. Do you think I should up her B Vits back to 50mgs a day? As for the magnesium, at one point I was giving her 450mgs a day, but then read that that was way too much for her age/size. So right now she gets a total of 250mgs of mag taurate a day. Should I up it to 375? Is that a safe dosage for 7 years old, 55lbs?

Also, Chemar - I know your son had great success with L-Carnitine for his vocal tics. Have you heard of many people having success with their motor tics as well? She has this very pronounced facial grimace w/ head turn going on right now. I really appreciate all of your help!

Thanks again!

I honestly can't say if L-Carnitine can help with motor as well as vocal...but Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate) baths really have always helped my son...2 cups epsom salts in a tub of warm water, soak 20 minutes

re the mag taurate...I really don't know how that breaks down into dose of magnesium and of taurine, but I know 300mg daily magnesium is generally recommended as a supplement