ACN Latitudes Forums

Mycroplasma

Update -

After positive mycroplasma blood test my daughter started Zithromax. By day two she was dancing around saying she never felt better. I was hopeful of results but yes....too good to be true. By day three irritabiity set in and the days that follow her anxiety and tics increased. I do feel like I see more glimpses of her relaxed happy self.

I had a phone consult with Dr. T in NJ. He doubled her dose. We will see.

Your childs IgM may turn negative, but you need to watch the IgG - if it stays the same or goes higher - the infection is active. IgM - if infection is chronic, or if it is the second or thrid infection of that type- will probably not be positive. Adults that come down with mycoP who had it as children - also often negative IgM.

YEP, that's what mine is showing. IgM neg, but IgG > 5.0 --- and I can tell you I feel like death at times, but other days okay. I think it affects everyone differently and some can be asymptomatic. I have often been asymptomatic for strep. Despite my son not showing elevated titers, I can't help but wonder if he's battling my infection, too. He has low total IgG so I question his ability to properly build antibodies in the first place and believe many of his titers are low or negative because of it.

Keep an eye on this mycoP thing!

Hi Jag10

I have a question about your post. I was wondering if after you see the behaviors change in your child, do you start the treatment dose of abx yourself, or do you wait to consult with Dr. K? The reason I ask is that I used to always email him to verify that I should start the treatment dose when i see the tics and rage spike, but I am wondering if I can just make the decision myself to start the treatment dose which has always been a double dose of augmentin BID, or do I email for confirmation first? He takes 500 a day as prophylactic dose. I guess I am wondering what other parents do as I need reassurance. Also, how long does the treatment dose usually last? I guess I don't like the idea of being the doctor myself and want to know your and others thoughts about it? My ds9 weighs 72 pounds. Any feedback from anyone is appreciated!

1335044039[/url]' post='137965']

Hi Jag10

I have a question about your post. I was wondering if after you see the behaviors change in your child, do you start the treatment dose of abx yourself, or do you wait to consult with Dr. K? The reason I ask is that I used to always email him to verify that I should start the treatment dose when i see the tics and rage spike, but I am wondering if I can just make the decision myself to start the treatment dose which has always been a double dose of augmentin BID, or do I email for confirmation first? He takes 500 a day as prophylactic dose. I guess I am wondering what other parents do as I need reassurance. Also, how long does the treatment dose usually last? I guess I don't like the idea of being the doctor myself and want to know your and others thoughts about it? My ds9 weighs 72 pounds. Any feedback from anyone is appreciated!

I guess that depends. We don't see Dr. K anymore, we have a local doc and a pandas doc within driving distance now. If I have access to the abx they need I usually do it myself after all this time. If it doesn't work and they need an abx change, I take them to the local doc usually. I think each doc is different, Dr K liked parents to run these issues by him by email I suspect because of proximity for follow-up care and as a way for him to keep data. If your child is reacting to a virus or allergies, then you have to try the ibuprofen route first and possibly prednisone. You have to do what you are comfortable doing. Before we had the correct pandas/pans dx, we tried tons of psych meds with a psychiatrist. She would tell us how we needed to adjust doses, ect. So I think that experience, years on end, got us used to being the "physician's assistant."

Thank you Jag10! As it turns out, this was a timely post. My son ended up with a high fever of over 103 just this afternoon. I am dreading taking him to my skeptical pediatric dr. Last time I brought him in, he told me that his friends who are also doctors do not believe in pandas and unless I had info from a reputable site, he would not listen to me. Luckily I was "armed" with the white paper and showed it to him. I think he was either stunned or impressed because he said he would read it!

Anyway, I really don't know my purpose for taking him in as I have already started him on the treatment dose, but am afraid not to have a "doctor" check him as his fever is so high. I am hoping I might get in to see his pandas doc, but then will have to pay and I am not sure he does typical sick visits that are not (yet) pandas symptoms.

Does anyone have any advice as I am worried sick about it.

Thanks!