ACN Latitudes Forums

Brown rice

mar

Have you all heard about brown rice having arsenic in it? my kids have been drinking the milk plus the only wraps that they can have have that in it and who knows what else. Seriously why!!! We have switched over to almond milk and have been trying to stay away from other things. Does this include organic items. I watched a dr oz episode were they recommended limiting this in children. Really? First I hear about apple juice and arsenic and now this. Thank goodness my kids no longer drink this. But with them bring on diets b/c of everything else and hearing this I feel like well what do I feed them that won't hurt them. Crazy!

I hadn't heard about that. A quick web search suggests that

1) yes, it's just the same with organic rice, as the arsenic comes from the soil itself. Rice just absorbs it slightly more than most other crops. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/friday-freak-out-chicken-and-rice-and-arsenic.html With chicken, on the other hand, arsenic contamination is only a problem in some non-organic birds, which are actually fed traces of arsenic to make their flesh pink. I ask you.

2) they seem to think it's not enough to cause problems, unless you're eating rice as your staple diet. http://blogs.plos.org/speakeasyscience/2012/02/21/on-rice-and-arsenic/

Thanks for the research. The doctor that was on dr oz said to limit it as much as you can especially in children. We limit rice milk by switching to almond. No more rice crispy treats from trader joes! I am just trying to eliminate as much as I can. We do stick with the tortillas b/c otherwise they would never be able to have any type of sandwich. Interesting about the chickens. We do buy organic so we should be ok with that. There is no apple juice in our house and it's been like that for years. We will keep trying and Thats all you could do.