ACN Latitudes Forums

Is anyone getting "fresh" strep & myco-p this Spring?

I know we have all talked about symptomatic whack-a-mole before, but now I feel like I'm playing bacterial whack-a-mole :wacko:

It started in January; dd8 was + IgM for myco-p (not strep) and dd12 + strep, not myco-p. In the beginning of Feb, dd8 was struggling and was put on Biaxin for the myco-p which straightened her right out. that's a good thing!

Dd12 was + strep, had IVIG 3rd week of Feb and was on treatment dose Augmentin. About 4 weeks later, she started struggling. So last Monday, I took her to her local doc and told him I didn't think the Augmentin was helping her. He switched her to Biaxin and within a couple days, she was greatly improved. Yay again!!

That was a week ago, now dd8 is struggling again; sigh. We had a tough weekend with her and today I got 'the email' from her teacher. Her best friend was out the entire week before last with strep. Dd12 tells me this morning her throat is killing her, but behaviorly she is still going strong. Add into the mix I had walking pneumonia last week and was prescribed a zpak; same local doc treating us all. I thought with all in the house on some abx, we'd kick the germs to the curb; both girls on Biaxin, me on Zith and dh on doxy for his teeth. But some of the moles just won't die!!!

Any advice? We are in PA, a ton of resistant strep flying around. I'm going to take dd8 into same doc tomorrow. Do I meekly suggest clindamycin? Do you think both girls need to be on something for both myco-p and resistant strep simultaneously so we don't keep passing back and forth? I'll try getting us swabbed, but we've never had luck with that before, just rising high titers.

Advice greatly appreciated.

Did my other post go up, sorry if I re-post this.

They discovered strep in DS1 again and drew him @ IVIG. WE were back and forth with the Dr but he finally agreed to clindamycin after we insisted 2 ENTs said it was "the drug" to treat strep. This helped DS1 and DS2. Myco has been another story here. We had a drug resistant strain here. DS 2 had IGM level of 2000 so Dr referred us to LLMD. Last check we went down to 1300 (baby steps ;) ) when he was switched to clindamycin and bactrum (for LYME and bartonella). We will see when we take him to the Dr next time. DS 1 now has a IGM of 940 but is just on Clindamycin since he had a reaction to cipro---careful with that one if you take it long term. We just found out he has LYME too so need to re-evaluate his meds. Good luck and I hope for better health in your home.

Bulldog24-can you really catch infections from your dog? If so what kind? Ironically our whole family of 6 here (except for a baby so far) has tested + on the Western Blot-----dog's frontline has kept her Lyme free. Pretty sure that she brought the ticks into the house though.