ACN Latitudes Forums

has anyone had their kids' cholesterol levels checked?

It seems like the OCD is the cause of the high cholesterol (and not vice versa). When the OCD is treated with CBT and SSRI's, cholesterol went down.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10900559

I am asking b/c my dd's cholesterol was high 1 year ago (211 or so). Recently, we DECREASED her prozac (from 10mg to 5mg--over the course of a month) b/c our psychiatrist wondered if the prozac might be the cause of the high cholesterol. Well, I'm now wondering if it's her OCD (and not the prozac) that is causing the high cholesterol. Her cholesterol went UP to 288! This is really high for an 11 year old. She is NOT overweight (and I hate to do too much in terms of low fat diets b/c of her hx of anorexia). She doesn't have an excessively fatty diet. She is also MORE active than she was a year ago when she was at 211. Most days she walks 40 min./day to and from school. She is involved in a sport (fencing) 3 days a week. Also, she has PE every day (middle school, in elementary school last year it was only 2x weekly). Also, there is NO history of family high cholesterol at a young age. (Her grandfather is on a statin now, but he is 95.)

BTW...we just upped her prozac to 15 mg/day. Her anxiety level definitely increased when we went from 10 to 5mg (we did have some illness in the household towards the end of the month, which may not have helped matters). We'll retest her cholesterol in 2-3 mo.

Edited by EAMom

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh! Really? Another thing to test/ worry about!

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. Unbelievable. Do you know WHAT the relationship is? Is it the stress of the ocd? Can stress elevate cholesterol?

What does the doc want you to do? Do they put a child on a statin? Does this type of cholesterol, or does cholesterol in kids link with health risks like it does in adults?

We have not had cholesterol tested. We just (an hour ago) did a blood draw on both, so I imagine it will be a good (hopefully) 6 mos before we have another. Will try to remember to add it to the list then. I will talk with DR T about it at our next visit- of all the treating docs- he would understand the link the most, I think,

I am with you about limiting diet. I am sure you guys eat relatively healthy. My kids did not eat with pandas- I see A LOT more risk in anorexia than heart disease for your dd in the next 10 years. For a lot of people, actually, diet does not make enough difference anyway.

I really have no help- just commiseration....

Ugh! Really? Another thing to test/ worry about!

I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. Unbelievable. Do you know WHAT the relationship is? Is it the stress of the ocd? Can stress elevate cholesterol?

What does the doc want you to do? Do they put a child on a statin? Does this type of cholesterol, or does cholesterol in kids link with health risks like it does in adults?

We have not had cholesterol tested. We just (an hour ago) did a blood draw on both, so I imagine it will be a good (hopefully) 6 mos before we have another. Will try to remember to add it to the list then. I will talk with DR T about it at our next visit- of all the treating docs- he would understand the link the most, I think,

I am with you about limiting diet. I am sure you guys eat relatively healthy. My kids did not eat with pandas- I see A LOT more risk in anorexia than heart disease for your dd in the next 10 years. For a lot of people, actually, diet does not make enough difference anyway.

I really have no help- just commiseration....

Our ped mentioned referring to a cardiologist, who might want to do statins.

Most of what I can find on kids with high cholesterol is re. overweight kids with a family history or cholesterol problems. I just don't feel that is our situation!

That would be great if you could ask Dr. T...I bet most kids aren't getting tested.

One of our other theories is that the Azith (long term) might influence cholesterol (who knows?). So that might be our next "experiment"...2-3 mo. of Augmentin instead of Azith.

Statins would really be a last resort!

My dd does love carbs, she drinks 1% milk (I am a bit OCD about calicium b/c my mom has osteoporosis)....but her diet isn't awful.

It also does look like stress can increase cholesterol in some people http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/34047.php

But then OCD is stressful too!

Edited by EAMom

Dr Ritchie Shoemaker feels that inflammation, not cholesterol, is the driver. That high cholesterol is a response to inflammation. You may want to browse his site http://www.survivingmold.com/ or his books. On the site is a list of inflammation tests he recommends.

You might also want to do some research into zinc. One study has suggested zinc can increase your LDL (good cholesterol) http://www.livestrong.com/article/530227-zinc-hdl/ and other research suggests zinc deficiency could trigger anorexia.

Also, one other thought is that the oxidative stress from increased anxiety could cause inflammation and an increase in cholesterol. So some type of antioxidant (milk thistle, resveratrol, alpha lipoic acid) might help. That could also be why an SSRI would have a positive impact?

I am of the "diet is not necessarily the cause of high cholesterol"camp. I think alot has to do with stress, lifestyle.

I actually had high.cholesterol as a thin child, but not now as an over weight 34 year old. My sister, very overweight as.a child, had perfectly normal cholesterol as a child. When mine was found to bee high, they checked her also. I was about 8 the time & she was 7.

They did not do.anything then for kids with high cholesterol.

I bet her anxiety is causing a cascade of events that are creating stress on the body and thus, cholesterol.

Is prozac known to.increase cholesterol?

My daughter (14) who has been to and from PANDAS ###### multiple times, has high homocystiene.no cholesterol checked, though. I think high homocysteine has to do with heart inflammation or some association with heart/block ed arteries, out some related affliction.

Dr Ritchie Shoemaker feels that inflammation, not cholesterol, is the driver. That high cholesterol is a response to inflammation. You may want to browse his site http://www.survivingmold.com/ or his books. On the site is a list of inflammation tests he recommends.

You might also want to do some research into zinc. One study has suggested zinc can increase your LDL (good cholesterol) http://www.livestrong.com/article/530227-zinc-hdl/ and other research suggests zinc deficiency could trigger anorexia.

Also, one other thought is that the oxidative stress from increased anxiety could cause inflammation and an increase in cholesterol. So some type of antioxidant (milk thistle, resveratrol, alpha lipoic acid) might help. That could also be why an SSRI would have a positive impact?

Hmmm...the article says that zinc might DECREASE HDL (which is the good cholesterol). We didn't get her zinc levels checked. She's not on a zinc supplement. We haven't gotten back the breakdown of HDL/LDL yet. I can post when they are in.

Although zinc has many benefits, zinc supplementation may reduce good cholesterol known as HDL in your body. However, further research is necessary.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/530227-zinc-hdl/#ixzz1qu72oCtE

YEs, I think the anxiety might be a factor!

Hmmm...the article says that zinc might DECREASE HDL (which is the good cholesterol). We didn't get her zinc levels checked. She's not on a zinc supplement. We haven't gotten back the breakdown of HDL/LDL yet. I can post when they are in.

Although zinc has many benefits, zinc supplementation may reduce good cholesterol known as HDL in your body. However, further research is necessary.

Is she taking omega 3 fish oil? It lowers the bad cholesterol, and actually is the main ingredient in one of the statins (don't know which one.) We take them, and I know that both DS and my cholesterol lowered as a result.

I am of the "diet is not necessarily the cause of high cholesterol"camp. I think alot has to do with stress, lifestyle.

I actually had high.cholesterol as a thin child, but not now as an over weight 34 year old. My sister, very overweight as.a child, had perfectly normal cholesterol as a child. When mine was found to bee high, they checked her also. I was about 8 the time & she was 7.

I bet her anxiety is causing a cascade of events that are creating stress on the body and thus, cholesterol.

My daughter (14) who has been to and from PANDAS ###### multiple times, has high homocystiene.no cholesterol checked, though. I think high homocysteine has to do with heart inflammation or some association with heart/block ed arteries, out some related affliction.

My cholesterol has always been good...but it was never checked as a child. I think it was first checked when I was 18 or 20 or so.

That's interesting that you had high cholesterol...do you remember how high? Did you have OCD (or PANDAS) as a child?

Isn't homocystiene somehow related to the MTHFR muation? did you have that checked on your dd?

I couldn't find any thing on prozac causing high cholesterol...but our psych. had that theory.

Edited by EAMom

Is she taking omega 3 fish oil? It lowers the bad cholesterol, and actually is the main ingredient in one of the statins (don't know which one.) We take them, and I know that both DS and my cholesterol lowered as a result.

No, she won't take fish oil :( , even in the capsule form. She also won't eat fish. She does get about 5-6 of those Gold Circle farm Omega DHA eggs per week, so she does get a bit of DHA. 2 eggs are supposed to have 300mg of DHA. I cook with mainly with Canola oil, sometimes olive oil.

YEah...I don't think the eggs are a problem. When dh (briefly) went on the South Beach diet, he ate MORE eggs and he lost weight and his cholesterol went DOWN.

Edited by EAMom

oops. My bad!

Yes, an MTHFR mutation could result in elevated homocysteine.

My cholesterol has always been good...but it was never checked as a child. I think it was first checked when I was 18 or 20 or so.

That's interesting that you had high cholesterol...do you remember how high? Did you have OCD (or PANDAS) as a child?

Isn't homocystiene somehow related to the MTHFR muation? did you have that checked on your dd?

I couldn't find any thing on prozac causing high cholesterol...but our psych. had that theory.

No ocd as a child, though major social anxiety. I had recurrent strep and tonsillectomy in 4th grade. I do have anti-phospholipid antibodies, which someone on here pointed out as a possible immune response to strep. I do not know how high my cholesterol levels were, maybe my mom will know.

My daughter is negative for MTHFR, tested fot C677t andA1298C

Have not read all the posts.

Do to hubbies higher than normal cholesterol levels we are using Red Yeast Rice. mine was also slightly elevated last check. i need to up my saurkraut..cabbage helps too.

but in mean time till we get levels checked our dr suggested this and i have read good things about it.

it is suggested to take at night, before bed when most of your digestion happens.

Gettting levels checked soon..i will try to remember to update.

Edited by Fixit

Have not read all the posts.

Do to hubbies higher than normal cholesterol levels we are using Red Yeast Rice. mine was also slightly elevated last check. i need to up my saurkraut..cabbage helps too.

but in mean time till we get levels checked our dr suggested this and i have read good things about it.

it is suggested to take at night, before bed when most of your digestion happens.

Gettting levels checked soon..i will try to remember to update.

Ohh...weird coincidence...just started cooking hubbie some lunch with saurkraut (haven't eaten it in months!).

My DD16 has high cholesterol and MTHFR mutation. Her diet is mostly vegetarian (occasional chicken and eggs), although tends to be high in carbs. Occasionally has chocolate or ice cream. Not nearly as active as she used to be (now just gym plus tennis 1x/week and riding 2x/week). At 16, she mostly exercises those fingers on the laptop or texting on the cell phone! I assumed high cholesterol was due to decrease in activity plus all the carbs. Did not know MTHFR mutation could affect cholesterol.

My DD16 has high cholesterol and MTHFR mutation. Her diet is mostly vegetarian (occasional chicken and eggs), although tends to be high in carbs. Occasionally has chocolate or ice cream. Not nearly as active as she used to be (now just gym plus tennis 1x/week and riding 2x/week). At 16, she mostly exercises those fingers on the laptop or texting on the cell phone! I assumed high cholesterol was due to decrease in activity plus all the carbs. Did not know MTHFR mutation could affect cholesterol.

I have to read more on that (if MTHFR affects cholesterol). I know it is linked with heart dz, not sure cholesterol per se?

Is your dd on an SSRI? re MTHFR, what mutations does she have (I'm thinking of making a poll later), homo/hetero A/C? How is her OCD? Do you know how high her cholesterol is? Has it only been checked once?

We don't eat a lot of red meat either. Ice cream yes. She'll eat chicken too. She will eat beef, I just don't tend to cook it.

We're doing the MTHFR test...it is pending.

Edited by EAMom