ACN Latitudes Forums

IVIG Appeal Update - Vaccine Question

I would first like to thank everyone that posts on this site for the wonderfully helpful information. I don't post very often, been am often a 'stalker' to get help and ideas for my ds. I would like to thank thenmama especially for the great start to our appeal letter. It took me almost 2 weeks to finalize and just got it sent off (certified mail signature receipt) last week. We are keeping our fingers cross, but still pushing forward with abx, vitamins and supplements. I will let you know the outcome of the appeal.

I have a question for all the smart parents out there about VACCINES. My dd will be going into kindergarten this year and she is due for a couple of vaccines before attending school and I am terrified. Should I try and avoid them? She does not appear to have PANS at this time, but like most of us here we see tendencies in many kids.

As you may recall, my daughter had 6 strep infections in 4 months a year ago. She had 2 sets of tubes for chronic ear infections and had her T& A out. She had pneumonia in Sept and bronchitis in Oct. She is in a daycare that has infections running rampant all year long. Either it is strep or staph or RSV or Croup or Fifth’s Disease; you get the picture. When dd is not feeling well she can be extremely defiant and clingy; just not herself. She is doing pretty well now except the seasonal allergies are kicking in (just found out last year that she has some allergies). We have not seen any major sickness since the bronchitis (knock on wood). Her last vaccinations were given in July of last year (MMR, Varicella and Hep-A). My dh took her to the doc for and I didn’t know that they were going to give her any at that time. I was kinda ticked at my dh, but very angry at the doc because it was not something previously discussed. She was at the doc for an ear infection two weeks before. Anyway, I’m digressing. She is due for a DTap and a Polio. Can I avoid these? Can we test to see if she has immunity to these through titers?

I am scared because my ds, who has PANDAS that is complicated with Lyme, became ill @ 6 1/2. Could his ‘trigger’ or his 'perfect storm' have been his prekindergarten shots and that 4 month undiagnosed strep and the ticks that he had on him that summer and the autoimmunity in the family? I don't know, but I am not a gambler and I don't want to gamble with my dd. I have seen many vaccine schedules and have a couple of books to read, but didn’t get to the vaccine scheduling parts yet. Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Personally, I would steer clear of ANY vaccinations right now considering how sick your child is. Any additional assaults on the immune system could do much greater harm. If you are concerned about protecting your child from MMR or other diseases covered by vaccines at this age (off hand I forget the schedule), I would suggest getting titers tested for those diseases. Chances are the titers will be high enough so you won't have to worry about getting those boosters.

The only 2 that she hasn't had for kindergarten are the DTap and Polio. Are there titers for them? I did ask the ped if there is are seperate shots for the diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis and was told 'no, it is a combination shot.' How do I get out of it and still get her into school? I think her ped is pro-vaccines.

The only 2 that she hasn't had for kindergarten are the DTap and Polio. Are there titers for them? I did ask the ped if there is are seperate shots for the diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis and was told 'no, it is a combination shot.' How do I get out of it and still get her into school? I think her ped is pro-vaccines.

You need to find out what vaccine exemptions are for your state. Some states allow a personal exemption, some have religious exemption. I think all of them have a medical exemption. This is dated Feb. 2012:

http://www.ncsl.org/issues-research/health/school-immunization-exemption-state-laws.aspx

Hi - you can test for titers for the dtap and your ped may be wrong about individual vacs as we managed to get our dd a tetanus vac (before pandas) without the pertussis part but maybe the pertussis doesn't come as stand alone. Not sure about the polio vaccine tho re titers etc. Dr B told us not to vaccinate. Do you see a big name pandas dr too.. could they do you a medical exemption?

good luck...

Unfortunately my state does not offer the personal exemption. Anyone know how to do the religious exemption?

Again, it depends on the state- some require pastor/priest signature, others just require you to sign that vaccination goes against your own religious beliefs.

We are not currently seeing a big name PANDAS doc. My son is seeing a DAN and a LLMD. My daughter just sees a regular ped. She does not have PANS, but has tendencies. I worry that vaccines could push her across the line.

I found the form that I can use for an exemption. There is 2 parts to choose from. The top part is for a medical exemption to be signed by a physician. The bottom portion is for religious exemption and is only valid when notarized. The religious states that the "immunization conflicts with a genuine and sincere religious belief and that the belief is in fact religious, and not based on philosophical, scientific, moral, personal, or medical opposition to immunizations." I pray to God every day that my dd will not get sick like my ds. Why else wouldn't I want the immunization if not for a scientific reason?!? Yes, please give my child formaldehyde and aluminum injected into her body!! Ughhh!

Both sections have a disclaimer that states "exemptions do not apply in times of emergency or epidemic as determined by the state board of health and declared by the director of public health". It still is not in our hands.

We are not currently seeing a big name PANDAS doc. My son is seeing a DAN and a LLMD. My daughter just sees a regular ped. She does not have PANS, but has tendencies. I worry that vaccines could push her across the line.

I found the form that I can use for an exemption. There is 2 parts to choose from. The top part is for a medical exemption to be signed by a physician. The bottom portion is for religious exemption and is only valid when notarized. The religious states that the "immunization conflicts with a genuine and sincere religious belief and that the belief is in fact religious, and not based on philosophical, scientific, moral, personal, or medical opposition to immunizations." I pray to God every day that my dd will not get sick like my ds. Why else wouldn't I want the immunization if not for a scientific reason?!? Yes, please give my child formaldehyde and aluminum injected into her body!! Ughhh!

Both sections have a disclaimer that states "exemptions do not apply in times of emergency or epidemic as determined by the state board of health and declared by the director of public health". It still is not in our hands.

Do you have a sincere belief that God does not want you to risk the health of your child? I don't think the state's wording is clear, since religious belief encompasses philosophical and moral belief. How do they define "sincere religious belief"?

Thank you all for the advice. I discussed with the family and I think that is the way that we are choosing to go. I found a great website that sealed the deal for me.

Vaccines and Religion

edited: I know it talks about Florida, not where we live, but it has a great message.

Edited by BoyIowa