ACN Latitudes Forums

Dealing with mold in A/C ducts

We have mold in our air conditioning unit, likely it will be replaced and that closet it is in cleaned up before the new one put in.

But, what to do about the ducts which have had air passing through them that likely has some mold and dust on it? Is there some particular way we should ask someone to clean them?

We have mold in our air conditioning unit, likely it will be replaced and that closet it is in cleaned up before the new one put in.

But, what to do about the ducts which have had air passing through them that likely has some mold and dust on it? Is there some particular way we should ask someone to clean them?

What about high ozone blasting? at levels where humans cannot be in the room of course.

http://www.envirodetectives.com/ozone_blasting.htm

Good question! One we have asked ourselves as well.

We had our vents 'professionally cleaned' but when I asked about mold the guy said he could spray a fungicide in the ducts but it would be poisonous! So elected not to do that and try to change our electronic filter once a month. Not sure if this is working well or not but may know soon as we are going to do another ERMI test in a week or two.

I believe, Familyof5, turned her heating system off and just used space heaters. Did come across some infrared space heaters that are sold at the local home improvement store which was interesting along these lines. We went in a sauna with these at a garden show and it was wonderful!

I have shut all my ducts off, even taped over all the vents so no air can espace "accidentally" into the house. We found our health improved by leaps and bounds once we did this. Mold was found inside our heating unit on a piece of cardboard that was left inside to collect the condensation that dripped from a heating coil. Insane.

Anyway, I suggest trying space heaters for a couple weeks just to see if you start feeling better. That is how we figured it out. I don't think I will ever be able to live in a house with an "air" system again. It has been 2 1/2 years and I still feel bad if I go into a restaurant, store, anyplace that is heated by forced hot air. I also believe there may be virtually no way to get the air to be healthy enough for a person who's immune system has been compromised by mold. Forced hot air systems are the most efficient way to spread biotoxins throughout your entire house. Before we had heating systems in our homes like this, mold could have grown in your basement or in corner of your kitchen but it was never a problem because it pretty much stayed localized. Since the advent of the popluar and efficient hot air heating and ventilation systems, mold and bioairesols are efficiently blown and recirculated throughout your entire house. Mold in your basement is efficiently blow right into your children's bedroom....every single day and night causing a constant assault on their immature immune systems.

For us, I believe we will eventually install forced hot water heaters througout our house to avoid the air system altogher. I am a little bit fanatical about this because this is my second home that has caused health issues and both of them were because of the heating and ventilation system. Sorry for the post, but I am a firm believer that these units are most of the problem with mold.

I have shut all my ducts off, even taped over all the vents so no air can espace "accidentally" into the house. We found our health improved by leaps and bounds once we did this. Mold was found inside our heating unit on a piece of cardboard that was left inside to collect the condensation that dripped from a heating coil. Insane.

Anyway, I suggest trying space heaters for a couple weeks just to see if you start feeling better. That is how we figured it out. I don't think I will ever be able to live in a house with an "air" system again. It has been 2 1/2 years and I still feel bad if I go into a restaurant, store, anyplace that is heated by forced hot air. I also believe there may be virtually no way to get the air to be healthy enough for a person who's immune system has been compromised by mold. Forced hot air systems are the most efficient way to spread biotoxins throughout your entire house. Before we had heating systems in our homes like this, mold could have grown in your basement or in corner of your kitchen but it was never a problem because it pretty much stayed localized. Since the advent of the popluar and efficient hot air heating and ventilation systems, mold and bioairesols are efficiently blown and recirculated throughout your entire house. Mold in your basement is efficiently blow right into your children's bedroom....every single day and night causing a constant assault on their immature immune systems.

For us, I believe we will eventually install forced hot water heaters througout our house to avoid the air system altogher. I am a little bit fanatical about this because this is my second home that has caused health issues and both of them were because of the heating and ventilation system. Sorry for the post, but I am a firm believer that these units are most of the problem with mold.

HI, Familyof5,

I agree with you, when I lived in France our house had hot water heated floors, it's much better.

I am moving into a second story condo (between1 st and 3rd stories)to try to avoid using heat/air, but i still wonder if it's gonna be a problem.

Interesting idea. I'm curious how you heard of this, and if you have any experience with it (such as, if you've used it or know someone who has)?

I have not used this or know anyone who has, I'm just on a quest to make my new living quarters as safe as possible too. It sounded non toxic and interesting.