ACN Latitudes Forums

Mold - essential oils

LNN

I was looking up ways to fight mold in the washing machine and came across this:

http://www.secretofthieves.com/index.cfm

Mold expert stumbles upon an amazingly powerful and non-toxic method of toxic mold removal...in his wife's aromatherapy kit

In 2005, Edward Close, PhD, a mold remediation consultant with 30 years experience in the environmental industry, was asked to do third-party sampling for mold in an apartment complex that had been flooded, evacuated, and later put up for sale. The buyer who was renovating the apartments had paid a company which had used the strongest stuff they knew of—a hospital disinfectant. Yet Dr Close's sampling showed that either the product had not killed the mold or that the mold had already re-established itself.

After much urging by his wife, he diffused Thieves oil in the apartments for a 24-hour period. The research project yielded astonishing results! And two weeks later they were even more astonishing!

(graph)

In another instance, 10,667 stachybotrys mold spores were identified in a per cubic meter area. After diffusing Thieves essential oil for 48 hours, Dr Close retested. Only thirteen stachybotrys remained. Similarly, 75,000 stachybotrys mold spores were identified in a sample of sheetrock. After 72 hours of diffusing, no stachybotrys mold spores remained.

Obviously a bit of an infomercial and the stuff is expensive $32/bottle and $200 for a diffuser if you wanted to do a whole room, which seems to be some sort of nebulizer/fan thing. So I'm not reaching for the credit card, but was curious if anyone had come across these sorts of oils (not necessarily this brand) in their mold research. Might be worth putting a few drops of something in a load of laundry or using it in a spray bottle in the bathroom if it worked?

Thanks LLM, Such timely information for me.

My SIL in Brussels is a big fan of this stuff, it's even been said to ward of flu. (can't remember which ones i read)

BTW- I recently put my own mixture of oils(Eucalyptus,lemon,rosemary, and lavender) in washing machine, not sure if it kills mold but made laundry room smell nice. ^_^

Edited by socalmom

I haven't researched this yet, but we are just starting to look at mold issues and biotoxins in general.

I have been putting Borax in with my wash. I was told it's anti-fungal and kills mold. Like I said, I haven't researched this yet, but I had it anyway and started putting it in. We have hard well water and my clothes come up so much cleaner since I started adding it.

I've also heard that tea tree oil kills mold. I don't think I would want to put oil in my wash, but I am planning to make a natural spray cleaner with it, for bathrooms and other areas with water.

Lots of research to do this week...

Edited by momcap

This sounds similar to the 'propolis' that we use with a diffuser. Propolis is from honey bees - they line their nests with it to keep out bacteria/mold. We have this running all the time in the family room and just purchase little capsules of propolis to use in the machine. With this and an air cleaner in son's bedroom we pretty much have covered the main areas he spends time in during the day/night.

This sounds similar to the 'propolis' that we use with a diffuser. Propolis is from honey bees - they line their nests with it to keep out bacteria/mold. We have this running all the time in the family room and just purchase little capsules of propolis to use in the machine. With this and an air cleaner in son's bedroom we pretty much have covered the main areas he spends time in during the day/night.

Hi Julia, could I PM you for the name of this machine?

Edited by socalmom

Hi Julia, could I PM you for the name of this machine?

www.beehealthyfarms.com- propolis Vaporizer with fan.

Edited by JuliaFaith

Thanks, I ended up finding it via another web site.

I am expecting my Thieves oil and cold diffuser soon! It is also listed as an immune booster (via Amy Derksens web site)so extra added benifit! :)

Does Thieves oil tend to smell more like cinnamon/cloves or rosemary? I'm very sensitive to scents, but I do love the smell of cinnamon. Let me know how your diffuser works out - it seems like soemthing I may be interesting in.