ACN Latitudes Forums

What do these bands on the Western Blot mean?

So frustrated. I just found out that my son and I are testing positive on the western blot. Between us we are + for bands 23, 66 39 & 93. That means that out of a family of 6 the only person who is negative so far is our infant and our dog who we will be testing soon. DS also has a current Myco Plasma infection has PANDAS and has been undergoing IVIG. Sorry to vent.

If you go to the "helpful threads" at the top of this forum page, you will find several links to articles that explain the different bands and their significance.

I can understand your frustration. But knowing that you have a chronic infection to fight can acutally put you on the (long) road toward sustained improvements. I know it's not what you want to have to deal with, but the lyme dx was a blessing in disguise for my son.

If you go to the "helpful threads" at the top of this forum page, you will find several links to articles that explain the different bands and their significance.

I can understand your frustration. But knowing that you have a chronic infection to fight can acutally put you on the (long) road toward sustained improvements. I know it's not what you want to have to deal with, but the lyme dx was a blessing in disguise for my son.

Thanks so much. Just so frustrated. 5 out of 6 of us test positive for some form of LYME and 2 kids also have PANDAS one going through IVIG and one on a path to. I guess the important thing is trying to find the correct path! I will check out the links. It is hard for me to discern, at times, what symptoms are PANDAS related and what are LYME related. Hope your son is improving!

Our LLMD feels that lyme is causing the autoimmune reactions to strep and other bacteria/viruses that we found in our 10 yo daughter, and that with treatment of lyme/coinfections the autoimmune response will settle down.

Before we began lyme/bartonella treatment her PANS reactions (motor/vocal tics, repeating spoken sentences under her breath, rages, quick frustration, decrease in handwriting ability, increase in ADHD,sound/light sensitivity) would always take an upturn whenever she was exposed to infection (bacterial and viral). She has been treated with 2 Abx since June 2011 and is now having more normal responses to colds/flu etc, with fever, cold symptoms and then normal recovery (and not much of a PANS increase). We tried decreasing to 1 Abx after 4 months of treatment with 2, but ended up with a full relapse 3 months later. She is now back on 2 (rifampin/biaxin) and doing well once more (PANS behaviours have declined to almost nil). We are also using some homeopathic/herbal remedies that I hope at some point will recover her immune system so it can deal with infection properly without Abx.

I am so sorry that your whole family is effected, but at least you have an idea of what may be going on. Lyme is spreading quickly and there will soon be alot of sick people and their doctors that have no idea what is going on.

Edited by rowingmom

I am so sorry that your whole family is effected, but at least you have an idea of what may be going on. Lyme is spreading quickly and there will soon be alot of sick people and their doctors that have no idea what is going on.

I agree - I think there will be many more cases this spring/summer, especially on the East Coast, from what what they are prediciting.