ACN Latitudes Forums

integrative doctor vs. naturopath

cdnmom

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and new to the entire tourettes syndrome.....I am in the initial stages of dealing with my 7 yr old's TS symptoms and am having a difficult time making a decision between seeing an intergrative medical doctor or a naturopathic doctor who specializes in ADHD, OCD, TS, etc. Does anyone have any advice/experiences or shed some light???

Diane

Hi Diane :)

An Integrative doctor is a qualified MD or DO who has gone on to also qualify in alternative/naturopathic medicine

A naturopath may or may not have a medical degree

IMHO if you feel the naturopath is experienced and you have confidence in them...then whether they are a qualified medical doctor or not is not what matters most.....UNLESS you need to have this covered by your insurance, as many do not cover "alternative" physicians

A good Integrative doctor can be a plus as you have the benefit of the best of both ...if they are a good doctor of course

Just as with conventional doctors, there are good and not so good ones in both integrative and naturopathic fields so it really is a choice that depends on your instinct...go with the one who seems to "get it" and that you feel confident treating your child

no...environmental medicine or Biomedical treatment can be naturopathic, depending on the protocol used...but not all naturopaths use it as the term naturopath has become broadly used for alternative doctors...not just those who practice it by the definition

Naturopathic means using natural elements and substances to treat illness (diet, excercise, physical elements (air, water, electricity) etc...

It avoids pharmaceuticals and invasive treatments. It is often also referred to as "alternative" medicine, to distinguish from "conventional" allopathic practice

Allopathic refers to the practice of conventional medicine with pharmaceuticals, surgery etc as the treatment of choice

Ash,

Sounds like the naturopath might be a DAN! dr. (Defeat Autism Now!) This movement began as parents and doctors discovered that treating gut and immune issues helped autistic kids and they developed a range of treatment protocols which acknowledge that the body is an integrated whole. We see a DAN! dr for my DS who has PANDAS and he's doing really well. You don't have to be on the spectrum to see a DAN!

I just took our son to an integrative physician and liked him a lot. I wanted someone who was knowledgeable on both conventional and natural treatment options. We're adding some more vitamins in and he recommended a diet plan. Since anxiety worsens my sons tics so much we're going to focus on that aspect and we'll go from there.