ACN Latitudes Forums

Preventing PANDAS?

Tylenol blocks glutiathione and yes leads to methylation issues.

Baby formula and many baby foods now contain prebiotics and probiotics. Manufacturers obviously jumped on the band wagon and finally recognize the gut brain connection.

Congratulations on your grand baby!

Not to scare you, but I think its important to share. I would echo have your daughter follow up on the infection. My son was born with an infection and given iv abx shortly after birth. the doctor just said sepsis and levels normalized and we left the hospital a few days later. There was no bloodwork follow up until he developed autism at age 3 which I now believe was Panadas. If I had known then what I know now, I would have been repeating the bloodwork and treating aggressively.

I seem to recall that tylenol messes up methylation?

Congratulations!!!!!! Having a PANDAS son who's illness was set off by FluMist, I would recommend reading Dr Bock's book Healing the Four Childhood Epidemics and I would heed his advice on vaccinations. I would do things totally differently, vax wise, if only I'd known.

Congratulations peg!!!!!

I know it is difficult to not worry after all you have been through.

For today, while things are good, just try to enjoy, we never know our path.

Of course i have a difficult time applying the same information to myself.

Just got the update- One doc said the little guy will need to stay in the hospital for 7-10 days! :o But, the next one said they were culturing, and if its MRSA then he'll have to stay on IV abx in the hospital for possibly that long, but if its not MRSA, and he's doing well, they can probably send him home w/ oral abx. I'll get on that probiotic issue and make sure that is taken care of.

Peg- congrats! Enjoy!

The worrying just never ends for parents, does it?

I feel ill- equipped to even discuss your question, but I will, as I know just talking things out can be such a help.

I don't know about preventing pandas, but you can IMHO certainly do two things that would be huge. Number one- vaccines. I would NOT be anti- vaccine if I had another child, however I would determine my own vaccine schedule. I would look at each vax, and think about what the alternative is (not getting the vax, and subsequently possibly getting the illness). I would also determine WHEN the risk was really relevant to MY child, and vax then, not much earlier. I would do one vaccine at a time, when the child has NOT been sick, and I would space them as far apart as possible. I think we learned NOT to medicate with tylenol. The other thing I would do is to be responsive to any infection. I would treat as indicated, and then re check. If I noticed ANY mood issues once the baby is recovered from illness, I would watch carefully. And in this case, advil would be my friend :)

Thanks. I guess I can look at the 1/2 full glass. My grandson is with my PANDAS kid's ped and he knows a lot about PANDAS and will treat and I know that he does not push the vaccine thing. My daughter has already decided no to the HepB. So, I guess we know enough to recognize and deal with it early on if we have to. Can a breastfeeding newborn take probiotics? Have they developed their own flora already?

Baby Jarro - "small amount of powder may be dabbed on mother's wet nipple before breast feeding." Or mixed in formula.

Sorry to hijack, but why no tylenol with vaccines? For babies- What is the reasoning again?

Congrats on that grandbaby! Are they culturing the site?

Here's an article which discusses the study...tylenol with vaccines leads to increased risk of autism

http://www.foodconsumer.org/newsite/Non-food/Drug/tylenol_linked_to_increased_risk_of_autism_0702101053.html

No association was found with ibuprofen .

Congrats Peglem!

I would do probiotics and also supp with vitamin d ...

And of course no Tylenol !

Edited by EAMom

Congratulations!!!!!! Having a PANDAS son who's illness was set off by FluMist, I would recommend reading Dr Bock's book Healing the Four Childhood Epidemics and I would heed his advice on vaccinations. I would do things totally differently, vax wise, if only I'd known.

Hi, I guess I should have PM'd you but unsure how to do that at this point....I'm not totally familiar with this forum yet. But anyway, your post was the first post I have read that mentioned your child's PANDAs set off by the flu mist. I have always thought that about my son as well. He was given the flu mist and a regular flu shot at the same visit. A couple weeks later, the tics started and then the OCD. Oddly enough, my daughter who received the same vacs on the same day, was diagnosed with a 'freckle' behind her retina soon afterwards as well. This is very unusual in a child.....and they have discovered it has grown as well (even more rare). She will possibly have radiation on her eye in a couple weeks if they find the shape or color has changed on her Monday appointment. So of course that got me thinking about the vacs and a possible link to the eye freckle. Anyway, thanks for your post about the flu mist. My daughter is suppose to have another vaccintion before 7th grade and I'm debating this.

Trish

Trish- My DS is not the only child on this board who has been triggered by FluMist, unfortunately. We've been told by two PANDAS doc not to give DS any more vax's. I would mention that in hindsight, my DS had mild PANDAS symptoms well before the FluMist. It started when he had an ear infection just after turning 5. He had mild irritibility and some tantruming afterward. It wasn't anything that seemed to out of the ordinary, though, and it went away. Dr K feels he had a strep infection that caused the ear infection and the mild PANDAS symptoms. Fast forward 9 months and one FluMist and it hit him very hard.