ACN Latitudes Forums

my 2 pandas kids have red throats

I noticed my son 6, (severe pandas) had a hoarse voice last night. I asked him if his throat was sore. He says no. (Sometimes the kids lie so they dont have to go to dr)

I look in his throat and its a bit red.

He is on tx dose augmentin and zith was added a 8 days ago.

He isnt any worse but still stuck in a setback from being 90%

so this prompts me to look in odd throat. Hers is a touch red too. She is on tx dose sugmentin. Been complaing "doesnt feel well" headaches etc. But she also has a sinus infection and allergies.

my dog tested pos for some strep. Started abx yesterday.

Now I feel pretty good its not strep maybe a virus. I mean if ds gets strep on aug and zith, that would be crazy.

But I still wonder.

Now I feel pretty confident th

I noticed my son 6, (severe pandas) had a hoarse voice last night. I asked him if his throat was sore. He says no. (Sometimes the kids lie so they dont have to go to dr)

I look in his throat and its a bit red.

He is on tx dose augmentin and zith was added a 8 days ago.

He isnt any worse but still stuck in a setback from being 90%

so this prompts me to look in odd throat. Hers is a touch red too. She is on tx dose sugmentin. Been complaing "doesnt feel well" headaches etc. But she also has a sinus infection and allergies.

my dog tested pos for some strep. Started abx yesterday.

Now I feel pretty good its not strep maybe a virus. I mean if ds gets strep on aug and zith, that would be crazy.

But I still wonder.

Now I feel pretty confident th

I would have their throats cultured...especially since the dog was still exposing them. We have found that we DS16, oral abx just don't do the complete trick, and we have gone to weekly injections as well (and once also did IV abx, which will happen next if injections don't do the trick.) You'd be surprised how many times my kids have had strep, despite the abx (resistent strep.)

In Sept 2011, our PANDAS ds had his worst flare in 2+ years, since starting the "Saving Sammy" dose of augmentin XR. He felt miserable, went into our family doc (not terribly "PANDAS friendly") who looked at his throat and said "wow, it looks red and infected." D'oh! We couldn't imagine he could get a GAS infection on the aug XR, but something hit him. Family doc gave us a 5-day zithromax Z pack, which made a big difference... until it ran out.

So now ds (thanks to our main "PANDAS-friendly" LLMD) is on 500 mg of aug XR twice a day and 250 mg of zithromax daily. The combo seems to be working well, and he's regained the ground he lost last fall. Was it really strep? Can't say for sure... but it scared the heck out of us! :unsure:

In Sept 2011, our PANDAS ds had his worst flare in 2+ years, since starting the "Saving Sammy" dose of augmentin XR. He felt miserable, went into our family doc (not terribly "PANDAS friendly") who looked at his throat and said "wow, it looks red and infected." D'oh! We couldn't imagine he could get a GAS infection on the aug XR, but something hit him. Family doc gave us a 5-day zithromax Z pack, which made a big difference... until it ran out.

So now ds (thanks to our main "PANDAS-friendly" LLMD) is on 500 mg of aug XR twice a day and 250 mg of zithromax daily. The combo seems to be working well, and he's regained the ground he lost last fall. Was it really strep? Can't say for sure... but it scared the heck out of us! :unsure:

Hi Worried Dad,

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Augmentin XR only comes in 1000mg tablets. If it is a 500 mg tablet, then I don't think it is extended release.

Hi Worried Dad,

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Augmentin XR only comes in 1000mg tablets. If it is a 500 mg tablet, then I don't think it is extended release.

Hah - yeah, that's what we thought, too, and maybe that was true in the past. But both our LLMD and pharmacist assured us that aug XR is currently available in 500 mg tablets, and that's what the LLMD prescribed to give us more flexibility in adjusting dosage and "ramping down" over time. Looking at the bottle right now, and it says "Augmentin XR - Amoxicillin/Clavulanic 500MG/125MG PO TAB" on the label.

So for those who might need the smaller dose, or the ability to go for "in-between" doses like 1500 mg per day, it's a nice option!