ACN Latitudes Forums

vision zooming in/out

Has anyone had that? My DS complained about that last night, and it really scared him.

could it be that he is experiencing the aura of a migraine? i haven't searched in a while, but there is info on the internet that shows some examples of shimmery triangles and vision issues that can come with a migraine. i don' think i've seen examples of zooming in and out, but there may be something that could be similar.

i have experienced neurological vision issues that are extremely hard to explain -- one is something that the 3d of faces just doesn't look right -- it's a bizarre feeling, just something isn't right and i know a migraine is coming. as a kid, i also had some things that i knew just weren't right but i would usually deny anything was wrong. my parents got to the point they could know something was wrong but i would usually deny it. now, of course, i know -- but i can't imagine how a child would react. i know your son is older, but if it's the first time, it would be very scary.

Hi - my dd had something that may be similar...

during an episode about a couple of years ago, when she went to bed she said that it looked as though I (lying on the bed with her) was miles away and she would look round the room and everything felt as though it was too far away. It would correct itself for a bit and then I and other things would be too far away again. It only happened at bedtime (which is a low point for her when things crop up that might not be evident at other times of the day). It went away after a couple of months.

Both I and my sister get something which I believe to be similar but maybe not.... we get kinda proprioceptive changes of a sort. When we're tired sometimes, normally laying in bed at night, we feel as though one of our digits or sometimes a leg has grown to super enormous size. Not a bad but strange feeling, as though a thumb, say, has suddenly ballooned to 20 times it usual size. My dd's sight thingy felt as though it was along the same lines, a perception type issue rather than actual shifting in vision.... dunno...

hope you work it out, good luck...

Hi - my dd had something that may be similar...

during an episode about a couple of years ago, when she went to bed she said that it looked as though I (lying on the bed with her) was miles away and she would look round the room and everything felt as though it was too far away. It would correct itself for a bit and then I and other things would be too far away again. It only happened at bedtime (which is a low point for her when things crop up that might not be evident at other times of the day). It went away after a couple of months.

Both I and my sister get something which I believe to be similar but maybe not.... we get kinda proprioceptive changes of a sort. When we're tired sometimes, normally laying in bed at night, we feel as though one of our digits or sometimes a leg has grown to super enormous size. Not a bad but strange feeling, as though a thumb, say, has suddenly ballooned to 20 times it usual size. My dd's sight thingy felt as though it was along the same lines, a perception type issue rather than actual shifting in vision.... dunno...

hope you work it out, good luck...

Thank you both. I asked him this morning if he thought it could be an aura (I looked it up on the internet, and came up with possible tunnel vision.) He said "no" (although he has gotten migraines before.) He does have seizures, but 2 neurologists believe it is related to the PANS, and not true seizures. Perhaps?

DS was concerned that he might be hallucinating, and was really scared. He asked me to post this, and get all of your opinions....smart boy :-)

I just made an appointment with the eye dr, because even though I'm sure he'll tell us that it's "just related to infection" (just like his heart palpitations and enlarged spleen are), I figured I'd get it checked.

My first thought was seizure. But it could be a hallucination. My ds had the same kind of visual distortion years ago during a manic episode.

Is anything else going on to point you in the right direction? Sick? Anxiety? Pain? Motor problems? Mood disturbances? New supplement/med? Discontinue/run out of a supplement/med?

I can only imagine how scary this might be to a teen. Hopefully, it resolves itself. Let us know.

I would never presume to know just what it is your son is experiencing.

However, weird visual perception is sometimes a symptom of post-infectious neuropsychiatric autoimmune syndromes. And, while the eyes themselves are sometimes affected -- crossing, rolling, locking, etc. -- sometimes the eyes themselves may be functioning normally, while visual perception is not, on account of something else going on in the brain.

At various times my son experienced double vision, colored spots, distorted color perception, and distorted depth/spatial perception in which objects' sizes and distances did not appear to him as they should. Some other parents report this same sort of thing (I bet you could dig up some old forum posts on the subject), as does some medical literature.

Scary stuff....

DS8 (PANDAS/lyme) says all sorts of strange things along these lines.

"Everything looks like pictures and I don't feel like I have legs."

"Nothing looks real."

"The room doesn't look right."

"Everything looks far away."

"All our stuff looks different."

One day he was trying to read but couldn't because the page kept changing colours. He explained to me that he knew it was blue but it looked like it kept changing and it was too distracting to read. Another day the yellow ball in gym class looked "rainbow", even though he knew it was yellow.

These kinds of things are pretty common with him. I don't know if that relates to PANDAS or lyme, or the combination of the 2 together. I noticed a recent list of PANDAS symptoms had visual disturbances on it. I was surprised. But I don't recall where I saw that.