ACN Latitudes Forums

my dogs throat culture = POSITIVE STREP

just checked vmail. Vet lmom and said my.dogs throat culture was freaking positive for STREP!

Good God there is no escape. i already popped a keflex for her and abx in am. But wtf?

Am I going to have to get rid of all my pets?

The good thing is there was a sensiivity test to see which abx will work. Testing animals is not easy and was done under anesthesia.

Holy crap guys. No wonder my son is flaring.

#%&*-+(

WOW! This is not good. We have 4 cats and a dog. They are part of the family. I have been involved in rescue for years, I HATE people that ditch their pets. If we find a link with our pets, I will be devastated. Wonder if the vets can give you long term antibiotic for a year or so? Or maybe injections?

Edited by fightingmom

I have a goofy lab with big ears that often gets ear infections, i believe them to be yeast/fungus related because antibiotics and drops from vet never worked, but a yeast/enzyme product does. Hope that's not something else that could be causing issues. Now you really have my wheels spinning, the possibility with my cats mouth issue, your dog is positive for strep...good god.

just checked vmail. Vet lmom and said my.dogs throat culture was freaking positive for STREP!

Good God there is no escape. i already popped a keflex for her and abx in am. But wtf?

Am I going to have to get rid of all my pets?

The good thing is there was a sensiivity test to see which abx will work. Testing animals is not easy and was done under anesthesia.

Holy crap guys. No wonder my son is flaring.

#%&*-+(

find out what kind of strep it is.

dogs get strep g

GABHS would be usual in a dog.

Two and half years ago, I had my cats cultured while being under for dental procedures - they were both positive for strep, but it was alpha hemolytic (something like that, it's been a while). I was told it was always present in cats. Knowing our situation, the vet treated them with antibiotics anyway.

edit- maybe it was G strep? I might be confusing it with a stool test of my daughters that was postive for alpha-hemolytic.

Edited by philamom

Dr L asked us to treat our dog because it has been found that dogs can pass strep even though vets don't agree with that. She said it is cheaper to go ahead and treat without testing because testing is expensive because the dog needs to be put under. Our vet treated with antibiotics, but then called Dr L and she said she'd rather him give our dog a shot of Bicilin. (spelling?) and so he did.

Dr L asked us to treat our dog because it has been found that dogs can pass strep even though vets don't agree with that. She said it is cheaper to go ahead and treat without testing because testing is expensive because the dog needs to be put under. Our vet treated with antibiotics, but then called Dr L and she said she'd rather him give our dog a shot of Bicilin. (spelling?) and so he did.

Here's a thread with some studies

http://www.latitudes.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=8172&pid=67099&start&st#entry67099

Just got off phone with vet. The culture is beta hemolitic (sp?) Strep.

Holy cow

Sensitive to amoxi. She will be on it 6 weeks then 2 weeks off, then sedate and reculture ($$$)

The good news is that maybe this will really help my kids get better.

I am going to give thr cats and other dogs bicilin on my own. I cant afford to test them or have them seen. Actually the bill for this dog was half paid by the humane society.

Which i will pay back...

And so it goes on

We talked to our vet when our son had his T&A - we wanted to make sure it was a clean slate - and Dr. M thought it was a good idea - eventhough she agreed that it's rare for dogs to pass it on - it has happened.

Once I explained things to the vet - she opted just to treat, since it was cheaper and the dogs didn't have to go under. She did a back to back course of abx for each dog to make sure everything was cleared. She opted for an abx (don't remember which one now) that was one of the free ones from Publix so it was a relatively small cost for us - just the cost of the appt, which they we did simlutaneously with their yearly checkups so it really was a normal expense anyway.

I would ask the vet if they would just treat the other animals based on the situation. It's worth a try.

Hmmm...I am so confused.

Well at any rate it needs tx. The vet agreed to tx my other dog for 3 weeks. So then eveeyone else gets bicillin.

It can only help.

so beta hemolytic streptococci heavy growth is not the strep that makes kids sick?

I called the nih and they thought it was interesting. Also said they have heard it before