ACN Latitudes Forums

Vitamin D

I posted at the end of my other thread but thought I would make a new post too. We got our labs back and the Vit D levels were pretty low. They broke it down into d2 and d3. They add them both together to get overall level of Vit D. His d2 was <4.0 and his d3 was 14.0. Total Vit D was recorded as 14.0, with normal range being 25-80.

He eats very well and eats a lot, including milk, eggs, cheese, etc--and takes a multivitamin as well, so I am stumped. He has chronic constipation. Wondering if they are related. Immunologist said Vit D levels would be critical to look at, so are going back there to consult with him. Wondering if a pediatric GI might be our next stop.

Anyone else deal with this?

Edited by MMWG

I tend to think low D is an absorbtion problem. The fact that he has chronic constipation could definitely be related. We give our ds D-Mulsion 1000 - 3 drops per day =3,000IU's. It's brought his D up some. He was never as low as your son - 24 to start - but our LLMD said he needs to be between 60-70 for optimal immune function to fight the bugs. I think at his last test he was around 50.

Our integrative medicine doc /llmd (who was great!! ) wanted vitamin d levels WAY higher than the recommended levels.i think it was beneficial (over a several week/month observation). She had my child on 50000 units three times a week for weeeks. The pharmacist triple checked the script it was so high.

Not that I can explain with any intelligence now, but vit d is critical in many inflammatory conditions. I would give it a shot. Are you working with a good DAN or integrative doc? They can be so helpful with this kind of thing.

Infections can deplete several nutrients - D, magnesium and zinc are biggies. I've seen all 3 linked to constipation. Magnesium supplements can aid "transit" time and move stools along faster so they remain soft and lessen the chance of constipation. (200 mg for a child, 400 mg for an adult). That's why Milk of Magnesia works for constipation. Dairy can be binding. Not suggesting you eliminate it from diet - only that ironically, certain sources of D contribute toward constipation.

The typical multi doesn't contain near enough D3. RDA levels are Minimum suggested levels and presume a balanced, very healthy diet and no infections or unusual drain on the body's normal supply of nutrients. It also doesn't consider the seasonal impact of lack of sunshine or raise any issues of things that can interfere with absorption (certain abx can block absorption of various nutrients - something to look into).

FWIW - took my DD to a pediatric GI and it was a big waste. They didn't do any vitamin/mineral blood work, went straight to an endoscope (which found nothing) and shrugged. Told me to give DD pepcid and come back in 6 months. We then went to an integrative osteopath who tested for/added D3, specific probiotics and worked with me to find correct doses of magnesium and zinc supplementation. Gerd is gone, constipation is gone, yeast issues are gone, D deficiency is gone and levels are now normal (after supplementing with 2000 IU daily thru the winter).

Two years ago, when my DD's neurological symptoms were at their worst and she was getting one skin infection after another, we discovered her D levels were catastrophically low at 4. We put her on 10,000 IUs D3 daily and she has been on that ever since. Then 18 mos ago we discovered she had Lyme/Bartonella/MycoP so we started treatment for that. Six months ago we discovered she had a deviation in the MTHFR gene and deficiency in zinc (most likely KPU) so we started treatment for this. She is nearing the end of her Lyme/Bartonella/MycoP treatment -- now off all abx except Augmentin XR for PANDAS, which has been in remission for 2 years. Next we will treat any underlying viral infections (e.g., HVV6). Although her D levels have increased over time to 45 we are having great difficulty getting it any higher. I am guessing it is absorption issue but I do believe getting D3 levels up has been critical to DD's recovery process.

I'm referring to absorption from a supplement.

What is this talk of absorption being a problem? My understanding is you're going to get it either from a supplement or from making it yourself (with sun exposure). Are you two referring to absorption from supplements, or are you suggesting people get it from food?