ACN Latitudes Forums

Car OCD

I hope someone can help... For the last few years, I have been experiencing major problems with my obsession with the well-being of my cars. I obsess over every little scratch, ding, or dent, park very far away, and wash them non-stop, sometimes on a day to day basis. The cars are not leased..I bought them, and they are payed for. No matter how much I tell myself that normal wear and tear, IE nicks, dings, dirt, is supposed to happen, I keep going crazy. Some nights I lay awake and think about the small problems with them, and will go out and try to look at dings or nicks and fix them in the middle of the night. My girlfriend has tried to convince me not to worry about them, and that all cars have small blemishes, but it doesn't seem to get through to me, and I'm very upset about it--it seems to be ruining my thought process, and it keeps me from enjoying the cars I worked so very hard for. Anyone else having this problem, or, can anyone help?.. Thanks.

• 4 years later...

I hope someone can help... For the last few years, I have been experiencing major problems with my obsession with the well-being of my cars. I obsess over every little scratch, ding, or dent, park very far away, and wash them non-stop, sometimes on a day to day basis. The cars are not leased..I bought them, and they are payed for. No matter how much I tell myself that normal wear and tear, IE nicks, dings, dirt, is supposed to happen, I keep going crazy. Some nights I lay awake and think about the small problems with them, and will go out and try to look at dings or nicks and fix them in the middle of the night. My girlfriend has tried to convince me not to worry about them, and that all cars have small blemishes, but it doesn't seem to get through to me, and I'm very upset about it--it seems to be ruining my thought process, and it keeps me from enjoying the cars I worked so very hard for. Anyone else having this problem, or, can anyone help?.. Thanks.

Hi woodworker! how are you?

I subscribed to the post just to be able to reply.

I also have similar problems. Mainly I need to make sure the car is always parked properly and stuff and buy spare parts in advance just in case, dont trust mechanics, grease up the possible, worry and search on the internet for every small ticky sound i hear while driving, rechecking the car after the mechanic etc...

what I noted that during my teenage years I was very poor, and had a scrappy car bought for 400euros that never left me down in 4 years and already had 200,000miles on it when i bought it. spent 100 euros to change break pads and 1 service and that was all. I never cared about my fiat uno fire.

then later on I started making enough money to bbuy the car I always wanted. that was my mental dead end.

I never stopped worrying about it. I almost regret buying it even if it never gave me problems. Wish I was a woman that wants to get from point a to point b. and only goes to the mechanic when the engine mounts dislodged completely.

Hi woodworker! how are you?

I subscribed to the post just to be able to reply.

I also have similar problems. Mainly I need to make sure the car is always parked properly and stuff and buy spare parts in advance just in case, dont trust mechanics, grease up the possible, worry and search on the internet for every small ticky sound i hear while driving, rechecking the car after the mechanic etc...

what I noted that during my teenage years I was very poor, and had a scrappy car bought for 400euros that never left me down in 4 years and already had 200,000miles on it when i bought it. spent 100 euros to change break pads and 1 service and that was all. I never cared about my fiat uno fire.

then later on I started making enough money to bbuy the car I always wanted. that was my mental dead end.

I never stopped worrying about it. I almost regret buying it even if it never gave me problems. Wish I was a woman that wants to get from point a to point b. and only goes to the mechanic when the engine mounts dislodged completely.

the more I have to loose, the worse the worries. I just hope I just learn to appriciate what i have and use it as best I can. my advice is : TAKE ALL THAT YOU CAN FROM YOUR LIFE AND DONT WORRY EXCEPT FOR YOUR HEALTH AND LOVED ONES. your car will always be a sheet of metal in the end. And mind you! I had a car with rust holes the size of a football and it never collapsed. An engine is made to be used. leave it in the garage and it will rot without you enjoying it first!

take care