ACN Latitudes Forums

Vitamin D deficiency (thanks all)

Just got our lab results back. I respectfully requested a long list of labs be run--including co-infections, ferratin, vit d, immune panel, etc and our pediatrician was happy to oblige. We saw an allergist/immunologist in between the time we gave the blood and the time all the results were back (just to rule out allergies triggering his symptoms--since the latest swedo paper I have been on a mission to rule out everything that might be triggering him). No allergies, but I talked with the immunologist about possible intolerances since ds has horrible constipation and has since birth. He said the Vit D results would be very important to look at as they might suggest absorption or intolerance issues.

Good news is all our labs came back clear with the exception of slightly elevated neurtins (suggesting recent bacterial infection or inflammation, big surprise), and a vit d deficiency. Pedi advised giving 400 ius of vit d a day (he already gets a multivitamin that gives him 400 IUs a day on top of what he gets from other sources).

Question for all of you is what the vit d deficiency may represent. I know we could address it by increasing the Vit D, but I am interested in why it is deficient. The kid eats like a truck driver, a very well balanced diet with tons of sources of vitamin d.

Is this an autoimmune connection? Could this be behind the constipation? Could this be why he looks like morticia adams when he is not well (pale as a ghost)? Thoughts?

going to see if i can get a consult with the immunologist again now that the labs are back...

Question for all of you is what the vit d deficiency may represent. I know we could address it by increasing the Vit D, but I am interested in why it is deficient. The kid eats like a truck driver, a very well balanced diet with tons of sources of vitamin d.

How low was it? Vit D deficiency is very common.

What part of the country do you live in? Does he spend a lot of time outside in the sun?

I've also read that March is the time when Vit D tends to be the lowest (winter).

Edited by EAMom

I was thinking the same thing. In New England, most people are low on D in the winter - even my very conventional PCP checks my levels at my annual winter physical. Both our LLMD and my naturopath suggest winter supplementing at 2000 IUs.

As for the pale skin, again - the meaning is influenced by where you live. Pale color generally means red blood cells are not as red and robust as they should be. But what's missing isn't one universal answer. Could be D, could be iron, could be zinc or other important nutrients. Allergies can also lead to pale color b/c histamine makes the skin swell and turn paler, esp. near the sinuses and eyes. One thing I've read in multiple places is that some blood tests - like zinc, magnesium et al - aren't particularly reliable because they don't reflect what's inside the cell, only what's in the surrounding plasma. That you can have a cellular deficiency despite an ok level in the plasma. Don't know how accurate this is or the science behind it, but I pass it along FWIW.

emom is on it . our primary source of vit d is from the sun . if you are giving suplements , i have been told to stay away from synthetics ,go natural.

our ped ordered labs for phosphorus & serum pth level(parathyroid hormone) . Google it up. it appears he is checking the bodies ability to properly process vit d.

My sons vit D was low end of normal range and he was getting 1000 iu daily plus good diet prior to labs as it was in a calcium suppliment and his gummy vit. His iron is very low too he did not have it in his MVI prior to labs but all the cereal has 45 percent of rda which he eats and meat ? The fact my doctor tested these specifically with the first labs suggests they relate somehow. Very early in the process on 3rd wk abx and son is improving Dr Elia at CHOP is treating and to see Dr Triffoletti next week. Connie

I just picked up the labs. His Vit D level was broken down into 2 types: d2 (which i believe is the kind we get from food) and d3 (from sunlight and created in the body). His d2 level was marked <4.0, which Mayo calculated as a zero in the total Vit D level. His d3 was 14.0, giving a total of 14 on Hydroxy D total (normal range is 25-80).

If I am interpreting this correctly, it doesn't look like he is getting any or very little Vit D from food, or from his multivitamins? He eats a very balanced diet and he eats TONS.