ACN Latitudes Forums

Glutamine

This has probably been posted before but I can't seem to get the search function to ever work for me (it gets stuck). Is anyone giving their child glutamine for leaky gut syndrome? I read it's one of the best ways to repair a leaky gut (being the main fuel for the small intestine). How much do you give and can you recommend a brand.

Also, how about quercetin?

Could you mention if you had any bad experiences as well.

My dd is 10yrs old and weighs approx 70lbs. thx

Edited by philamom

Hoping someone has input on the glutamine, as I have the same question.

As for quercetin, the kids and I take it for allergies all spring. I like it because it has no side effects (no drowsiness, no irritability) and works well for allergies but the downside is we have to take one (600mg) every 4 hrs. On bad days, particularly in May when the Beech Trees bloom, we resort to zyrtec. But we don't use it for gut.

As an aside, DD started taking 500mg garlic last week as a yeast preventative. Garlic apparently increases bile production, aiding digestion and she's eating a bit more now. Nothing huge, but an improvement nonetheless. The garlic pill has no taste and is very small.

Our DS15 also takes quercitin for allergies: 1,200 mg. in the morning and another 600 mg. at night. I take it, too, and it does seem to ease the hassle of hayfever. Not clear what, if any, effect it is having on the gut, however.

I've got some glutamine in the pantry but have not tried it yet. I'm sort of holding off on "fixing what ain't broken," for the moment, anyway. A few of the things I've read on line seem to suggest it is not readily absorbed in most available forms, but I don't have any more specific information. I'll be checking in here, though, curious to hear about others' experiences with it.

Not to scare you off, but we had a HORRIBLE reaction to trying to supplement glutamine.

So bad, I threw the bottle out, never to try again.

I do not understand how the glutamine amino acid to help with stomach lining relates to our kids doing better with glutamate blockers:

Glutamate blocking drugs have been discussed on here before- but I can't figure it out.

This was our experience.

Too bad they don't sell trial sizes.

Thank you Mayzoo for the links.

I read an article today "Hidden GI Problems" in Bottom Line Health by Liz Lipski. She briefly discusses low levels of stomach acid, too much bacteria, and leaky gut syndrome. She says that low levels of HCl can weaken immunity and, in turn, lead to many ailments, including autoimmune disorders. When HCl levels are low, it makes us vulnerable to small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO). The best test to diagnose SIBO is a hydrogen breath test. A home test is available at www.MyBreathTestKit.com. Her recommendation for treatment is the probiotic VSL-3. She then says, however, that the antibiotic Rifaxamin (Xifaxin) is usually needed. Rifaxamin works locally in the small intestine. For leaky gut, she says the immune system reacts to the organisms (bacteria, fungi, parasites) and substances as "foreign" triggering inflammation that contributes to or causes a wide range of problems. The best test for leaky gut checks for urinary levels of lactulose and mannitol- large amounts indicate a leaky gut. She suggests starting glutamine 1g to 3g daily, and graudually increase the dosage by a gram or two per week to up to 14 g daily. Becoming constipated is a sign that you're using too much. She also mentions the probiotic L. plantarum (such as Transformation Enzyme's Plantadophilus), Quercetin (such as Perque Pain Guard and Perque Repair Guard, work better han other quercetin products), and Digestive Enzymes (good brands are Thorne, Now, Enzymedica). But I'm assuming this is all adult dosing.

Not to scare you off, but we had a HORRIBLE reaction to trying to supplement glutamine.

So bad, I threw the bottle out, never to try again.

I do not understand how the glutamine amino acid to help with stomach lining relates to our kids doing better with glutamate blockers:

Glutamate blocking drugs have been discussed on here before- but I can't figure it out.

This was our experience.

Too bad they don't sell trial sizes.

Thanks for sharing!

Hoping someone has input on the glutamine, as I have the same question.

As for quercetin, the kids and I take it for allergies all spring. I like it because it has no side effects (no drowsiness, no irritability) and works well for allergies but the downside is we have to take one (600mg) every 4 hrs. On bad days, particularly in May when the Beech Trees bloom, we resort to zyrtec. But we don't use it for gut.

As an aside, DD started taking 500mg garlic last week as a yeast preventative. Garlic apparently increases bile production, aiding digestion and she's eating a bit more now. Nothing huge, but an improvement nonetheless. The garlic pill has no taste and is very small.

Do you give her one 500mg pill daily of garlic? I read it should be taken with food to avoid GI upset and flatulence?

Do you give her one 500mg pill daily of garlic? I read it should be taken with food to avoid GI upset and flatulence?

Yes, 1 pill for both DD and DS at dinner. DD has been taking for about 10 days and no side effects, small but noticeable improvement in appetite.

DS has been taking it for 4 days and I'm seeing a flair of defiance, confusion, anger and brain fog. Prior to starting the garlic, he'd been very hyper and silly and inappropriate and was taking Sacc B for about a month. It made me start thinking about yeast. So we stopped the Sacc B and saw some improvement (this is our 2nd trial with it, it just doesn't seem to agree with him). Now wondering/hoping this bad spell is just a yeast die-off from the garlic. Will push ahead until the end of the month and see where we're at with him. I think JAG saw something similar when they were treating for yeast. Hoping she'll chime in with her cheerleading pom poms and give me the encouragement to push thru. :)