ACN Latitudes Forums

Tics and Eczema

In doing further research to help my daughter with her tic disorder I've noticed several people seem to also have ecyema and if triggers are found to cause the tics and taken away, then the eczema also seems to be reduced. Does anyone else have this issue with there child or self, and have found the two to go hand and hand? My daughter has suffered with Eczema all her life, but it's been pretty mild. Still, I avoid bubble bath and I wash her clothes with Purex, the clean and clear kind. (I have found Tide, and others like it, make her Eczema explode.) When her tics started to become more noticeable, about 4 months ago, in remembering back, that's when her eczema started to blow up.

I am a firm believer that foods and environmental influences can trigger tics, but I have a question to toss out there. If it is foods and other environmental things, then why have the tics started to show up now, at 7 years of age. Yes, she did start with the eye rolling a few years ago, but why now all of a sudden she has the motor tics (all over). She's pretty much ate the same foods for the past 5 years, why would the tics show up now? I am taking her to a NMD next week to see if we can figure out any allergies she might have, so hopefully that will help us out with our detective work in finding triggers. I was just curious if anyone here has come up with answers to this question. Why wouldn't the tics start as soon as they started eating those foods, when they were two years of age?

(If anyone missed my last post my daugher has been diagnosed with a "Motor Tic Disorder" by her Neuro, however, he thinks nothing can be done, just basically have to ignore it and maybe she will grow out of it in a few years. If it gets bad then have her come in for drugs. Obviously I'm not satisfied with that answer so I'm doing further research.)

good questions!

with Tourette Syndrome, it is believed that age(hormones) and whatever other triggers (vaccines?allergies?environmental?etc etc) switch on the TS gene

re allergies..............one of our physicians firmly believes in aquired sensitivity leading to allergies, so we may not show these early on but, the more we are exposed to the things we may have sensitivity too...so we eventually become allergic

I cant address the issues re eczema as none of us suffer with it

glad to see you pursuing your research and looking for answers! :P

That definitley sounds like a big possibility. Thanks for your input. :)

Anyone else out there have some opinions? I have to agree with Sheila, brain storming is the most important part of what we do as parents/patients, in trying to find answers. So don't be afraid to share, every opinion is valuable. Thanks in advance! :P

I have TS, OCD and Eczema. I never thought of the correlation but I do plan to go see an allergist in August (he's away during month of July). After I find out what I am allergic to and if I see any change in both TS/OCD and Eczema, I will post it here.

I have TS, OCD and Eczema. I never thought of the correlation but I do plan to go see an allergist in August (he's away during month of July). After I find out what I am allergic to and if I see any change in both TS/OCD and Eczema, I will post it here.

It would be very interesting to know what your allergist says. I know I will post what my daughter's NMD says next week, after he has a chance to do the allergy tests. Maybe it's just that some foods just happen to trigger the tics AND Eczema, so when the food is eliminated it just naturally takes care of both. It's interesting though, how regular MDs will consider a food allergy to trigger Eczema, but have huge doubts about food triggering the tics associated with TS and other disorders. I almost want to stand up and shout to all the doubting MDs out there and say, "OK, so it's true that here in America we have made HUGE strides in the medical field, helping many with cancer, and other diseases. Did we get this way by being closed minded?! NO, you have to consider everything and test each theory that comes up, only then will cures and treatments be found." OK, I'm down off my soap box, after all, I'm just a mom, no title to my name, so what do I know, lol. :wacko:

I happen to think that it may be a nutritional problem in some cases, not all. But the nutritional deficiencies can cause other problems too, like pancreatic problems. I have severe nutritional deficiencies which were never diagnosed by any doctor. (I happened to discover them myself, luckily.)

But the problem with nutritional deficiencies is that it does lead to other problems, including liver problems but also pancreas problems. The pancreas is so important for digestion because it produces enzymes for digesting fats, carbs and protein, besides some other stuff. There is no name for a condition like sluggish pancreas.

And this is like when fatigue was a widespread problem and some people said either your adrenal glands develop Addisons (serious failure) or your adrenals function just fine. But the idea that anyone might have sluggish adrenals was never really recognized by most medical experts. Now, I think a sluggish pancreas may be a real problem but since it is not recognized or has some technical name, it doesn't exist as far as medical research is concerned.

This site talks about excema and amaylase. http://www.enzymes.com/protease_deficiency.html

I honestly think that doctors never consider nutrition and may not consider digestive or absorption issues either. But these problems can go hand in hand.

Azhorsegal,

My feeling is that ABSOLUTELY yes tics and eczema can be related, in that both can be signs of a depressed immune system.

My son had terrible eczema, then I googled 3-4 years ago and found out that 80% of childhood eczema is caused by food allergies. (Commonly an IgE reaction, including, but not limited to wheat, peanuts, milk, egg and/or soy) In his case wheat was the culprit and its removal from his diet cleared the eczema.

Furthermore, one of the links here shows that among posters here, food allergies and food as a trigger for certain tics is unusually common (for lack of official studies, we can only go by what we see amongst this group).

My son has been tic free for 2 years 7 months and eczema-free for about a year. He even has wheat once a week or so now.

In case you haven't seen it before, I just bumped a thread for you which discusses a lot of the concepts of the depressed immune system, since I will likely disappear again now...

Good luck, and good for you for saying no to drugs (I am soooo biased).

Claire